The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure
7​
Caves of Lore
6​
Legendary Journeys
5​
Shadow Gambit: The Cursed Crew
5​

All other games scored less than 5 points. And as you can see <None> is actually on place two.

I'm surprised to see Rogue Trader and Colony Ship up there, to be honest. Not that they're not good, but the first seems to still require a lot of work, and the second may be a little more niche than the usual RPG in comparison to what's down the list.

I'm probably underestimating the popularity of WH40k.

@HiddenX, how successful was None, this year? And what were the Editor's 2nd and 3rd choices - did I miss them?

EDIT: I just see your post regarding None. :) So maybe it wasn't such a good year after all, which was my sentiment lately.

EDIT 2: Thanks a lot for computing and posting those results! :D

@Redglyph see above.

From the article:
The votes of the editors were conclusive on the first spot and started to vary quite a bit for the other spots, which is why only the first spot could be marked as editors' choice.
The Editors' Honorable Mentions are:
Jagged Alliance 3, Everspace 2, Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader, System Shock Remake, Colony Ship and Sea of Stars.

Thanks for the work, Hidden, and nice to see the results!

First time that my personal choice is also the site's choice. Must be getting too mainstream :O

@HiddenX, how successful was None, this year? And what were the Editor's 2nd and 3rd choices - did I miss them?

EDIT: I just see your post regarding None. :) So maybe it wasn't such a good year after all, which was my sentiment lately.

I'm kinda surprised at this. I would've thought there was something excellent for all tastes, this year. Which years did you think were better?

Knew BG3 would win the other two came as a surprise. I also agree about the none vote and yeah were not a mainstream site. Probably cause most of us are older PC gamers.

Thanks for the work, Hidden, and nice to see the results!

First time that my personal choice is also the site's choice. Must be getting too mainstream :O
You're getting more RPGWatch-stream, not mainstream. ;)

I'm kinda surprised at this. I would've thought there was something excellent for all tastes, this year. Which years did you think were better?
I may have phrased it awkwardly: it's likely a better year than most others, but I think it has often been overstated in the articles and videos. For me, it's mainly been about Baldur's Gate 3; some of the other games were fine but I doubt they'll make history. On the other hand, a game like CP 2077, its DLC, and all the work that has been done to improve it will surely grant this game a spot in the classics.

2022 had Elden Ring (and a stable CP 2077), 2021 had Disco Elysium and - maybe I'm biased vs Rogue Trader - Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Both years must have had good JRPGs games, too, but I'm not following them.

That being said, a great year for me is more about great games that are finally in good condition. In that respect, 2022 and 2023 were surely great. If I'm not mistaken, that's more or less what @HiddenX said above with other words.

Sorry to see games like JA3 rank below Starfield, but also surprised to see how low Hogwarts is. That's all anyone talked about early in the year, with like 50 million copies sold... (exaggeration for effect)

I'm surprised to see Rogue Trader and Colony Ship up there, to be honest. Not that they're not good, but the first seems to still require a lot of work, and the second may be a little more niche than the usual RPG in comparison to what's down the list.
I'm not that surprised tbh. 2023 wasn't the be all and end all year for RPGs that some people made it out to be. *Edit* You ended up saying basically the same thing a few posts later. :)

I spent very little time gaming last year. Therefore the only 2023 games I played were BG3, which I've paused since October, and Darkest Dungeon 2, which I play now and again.

So I could only vote for two, and my third was none.

I spent very little time gaming last year. Therefore the only 2023 games I played were BG3, which I've paused since October, and Darkest Dungeon 2, which I play now and again.

So I could only vote for two, and my third was none.
Feel free not to answer if this ventures into personal territory but: why not? For a lot of RPG fans, 2023 was a huge year. One of the biggest in a while. I'm curious why it was a year you didn't game much.

I agree with JDR - looking at the list, I don't think 2023 was particularly standout year apart from BG3.

Also agree with Redglyph on RT - didn't realise how popular 40K is and waiting on Watcher's reaction once they hit act 3 to 5 ;) I was certainly disappointed with what I've seen but I've always been in outlier :)

Sad to say Hogwarts also wasn't great for me and is uninstalled only after 14 hours.

Here's hoping 2024 will be a better year for me.

Back
Top Bottom