RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2023 - Best RPG of 2023

Amazon-Starfield-jpg.png

:ROFLMAO:
Ah thanks! Nowhere in the description does it say a steam code is provided. Was gifted the premium version, but it required the Microsoft store for redemption. It was non refundable since Microsoft seems unable to keep track of its keys. Imagine.

So you can understand why I am hesitant to try again without an unambiguous description from Amazon.

Yep. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C7PMRCWC
You will get the game in a DVD-style box with a Steam code inside.
Ah thanks! Nowhere in the description does it say a steam code is provided. Was gifted the premium version, but it required the Microsoft store for redemption. It was non refundable since Microsoft seems unable to keep track of its keys. Imagine.

So you can understand why I am hesitant to try again without an unambiguous description from Amazon.

It's just the standard PC physical version of Starfield. Can confirm via Bethesda's site that it contains a Steam code: https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/60468 (also check the Amazon reviews)
I've bought that exact item on Amazon, and that's what it was. Though I'd probably stick to the "sold by Amazon.com" (which is what's coming up by default), who knows what you'll get if you switch to some sketchy 3rd party seller.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance. Will try that. Though I'd prefer the premium.
It's been a few months, but from what I recall when I looked into this before release, I don't think they ever released a physical premium version for Steam. The PC physical premium thing you could buy was only for the MS Store version.

Not sure if there is a good overview of past winners, so I opened every single post to note them down. In case you are interested:

Game of the year 2023
1. Baldurs Gate 3
2. Rogue Trader
3. Colony Ship
4. Wartales
5. Starfield

Game of the year 2022
1. ELEX II
2. Elden Ring
3. Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
4. Expeditions: Rome
5. King Arthur: Knight's Tale

Game of the year 2021
1. Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous
2. Solasta: Crown of the Magister
3. The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos
4. Encased
5. Wildermyth

Game of the year 2020
1. Wasteland 3
2. Cyberpunk 2077
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
5. Hades

Game of the year 2019
1. The Outer Worlds
2. Disco Elysium
3. Greedfall
4. Outward
5. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark

Game of the year 2018
1. Pathfinder Kingmaker
2. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
3. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
4. Kenshi
5. Atom RPG

Game of the year 2017
1. Divinity: Original Sin II
2. ELEX
3. Torment: Tides of Numenera
4. Battle Brothers
5. Prey

Game of the year 2016
1. Tyranny
2. Grim Dawn
3. Dark Souls III
4. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
5. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Game of the year 2015
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2. Pillars of Eternity
3. Fallout 4
4. Underrail
5. Age of Decadence

Game of the year 2014
1. Divinity: Original Sin
2. Wasteland 2
3. Dragon Age: Inquisition
4. Shadowrun: Dragonfall
5. Might & Magic X: Legacy

Game of the year 2013
1. Shadowrun Returns
2. Expeditions: Conquistador
3. Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition
4. XCOM: Enemy Within
5. Path of Exile

Game of the year 2012
1. Mass Effect 3
2. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die
3. Dishonored
4. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
5. Risen 2: Dark Waters

Game of the year 2011
1. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. The Witcher 2
3. Drakensang: The River of Time
4. Dragon Age 2
5. Deus Ex: Human revolution

Game of the year 2010
1. Fallout: New Vegas
2. Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga / FoV
3. Dragon Age: Awakening
4. Ultima VI Project: The False Prophet
5. Mass Effect 2

Game of the year 2009
1. Dragon Age: Origins
2. Risen
3. Knights of the Chalice
4. Drakensang: The Dark Eye
5. A Farewell to Dragons

Game of the year 2008
1. Fallout 3
2. Mass Effect
3. King's Bounty: The Legend
4. Avernum 5
5. Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir

2022 must have been a shit year for Elex 2 to get the nod. It is the most mediocre of the PB games that I have played - although I never played Arcania. Perhaps we have too many PB fans with blinkers on. Expeditions: Rome is a better game in most regards.

2022 must have been a shit year for Elex 2 to get the nod.
Black Geyser at #3 speaks just as loudly.
It is the most mediocre of the PB games that I have played - although I never played Arcania.
Arcania is far worse, but that wasn't developed by PB.

The results are always interesting as the target audience of the site based on polls is 35+ years old. So you know our tastes are bascially niche, and not mainstream.

Much better then other award sites that are solely based on popularity and sales.

2022 must have been a shit year for Elex 2 to get the nod. It is the most mediocre of the PB games that I have played - although I never played Arcania. Perhaps we have too many PB fans with blinkers on. Expeditions: Rome is a better game in most regards.
Expedition games are a strange niche and probably reflect weak years generally. The first and third both charted in the top 5, but the most popular one, the second one, the one most people think is closest to being an actual RPG, didn't even make the top 5 due to a very robust year of more classically interesting material.

I find it interesting that Avernum 5 made the top 5 in 2008, but Avernum 6 didn't place. I really got into the Avernums and have completed games 1-5 over the course of many years, but I'm still not motivated to take on number 6. It's like 5 was just about the right amount to be done with it. Maybe if I get a really long dry spell one day, but that doesn't look likely for a very, very long time.

I think Avernum six is the one also named Escape from the Pit? If so, it's well worth playing, imo. For me it's maybe not as strong as the second and third games are, yet you'll certainly get all your moneys' worth.

Yeah, keep in mind he is redoing the series the third time now

Exile 1 - Escape from the Pit -> Avernum 1 -> Avernum: Escape from the Pit

Back
Top Bottom