Dragon's Dogma 2 - Microtransactions

The whole world seems to cry : "Money, Money, We Want Money".
I mean, apart from covering the development costs - which seems to be a difficult topic in itself sometimes - why is there so much emphasis on profits with really big companies ? It looks to me as if the bigger the firm is, the more focused on profits it is ... It feels to me is if this was some kind of natural law ...

Whoever thought this was a good idea in this day and age made a serious error. I'm not sure if there's a bigger turn-off for me than seeing real money transactions within a game.

I didn't weigh in on the other thread. I don't give a darn about whether or not microtransactions are in the game (and I would never use them), with two exceptions:

1) If they intrude upon immersion within the gameplay, I dislike that. I think it was Dragon Age 1 in which there was a quest giver who spoke about the quest and when they were done there was a screen indicating that it would cost real money to play -- somewhat broke the immersion, though not a big problem, it would be a big problem if that happened in a game more than once

2) If developers are incentivized to create games which push microtransactions, more than just cosmetic and on one option screen, then that could lead to horrendous design decisions which significantly intrude on gameplay -- this is a big potential problem in my view

I don't have DD2 but it seems to me from reviews I've watched that some of their decisions are designed to significantly incentivize purchasing microtransactions, and to me that's not okay. I won't be purchasing DD2 regardless, for other reasons, but these sort of design decisions would leave a bad taste in my mouth even in a game I otherwise liked.

Also:

3) Microtransactions often prey on those who are addicted or otherwise would be better off not purchasing them. I don't have enough knowledge to comment on this but it seems to be an issue.

Good to see people stemming the tide of misinformation.
Whoever thought this was a good idea in this day and age made a serious error. I'm not sure if there's a bigger turn-off for me than seeing real money transactions within a game.
A single-save game with widespread complaints about the save file getting corrupted?

FightinCowboy is throwing a tantrum about the noise around DD2's release. He's so mad he apparently forgot to dress. :LOL:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDi5ijlvzVI

It's funny how some of those influencers wipe it under the carpet by saying 'oh yeah, I've seen the microtransactions, but I thought it was nothing'.

I understand he's pissed off if he got many comments accusing him of being a shill, though.

He says an interesting bit around 30' (I randomly skipped to see if there was anything useful), and he says that you have to disable cloud saving for both DD2 and the character creator if you want to delete your save file, because both will try to restore it.

FightinCowboy is throwing a tantrum about the noise around DD2's release. He's so mad he apparently forgot to dress. :LOL:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDi5ijlvzVI

It's funny how some of those influencers wipe it under the carpet by saying 'oh yeah, I've seen the microtransactions, but I thought it was nothing'.
Damn, he's really lost his voice. Just watched it. Seems he's also on a 4090 and without dlss it stays at around 30fps, which is kind of insane.
With dlss it fluctuates between 60 and 90. Also kind of insane. CP2077 with dlss and frame gen stay at 100+ easily

Seems he's also on a 4090 and without dlss it stays at around 30fps, which is kind of insane.
With dlss it fluctuates between 60 and 90. Also kind of insane. CP2077 with dlss and frame gen stay at 100+ easily
Even outside the cities, in DD2? That seems very demanding, but I suppose all options are maxed out?

I don't have DD2 but it seems to me from reviews I've watched that some of their decisions are designed to significantly incentivize purchasing microtransactions, and to me that's not okay. I won't be purchasing DD2 regardless, for other reasons, but these sort of design decisions would leave a bad taste in my mouth even in a game I otherwise liked.
I have DD2 and their design decisions mimic their first game which didn't have microtransactions. None of what they are selling is needed and it's all easily attainable in game without grinding of any kind.

I don't like microtransactions and would rather see them disappear, but there's a lot of misinformation being spread.

I'm not a fan of fighting cowboy but his video is pretty spot on in this instance imo.

I love how everyone who doesn't own the game or has played it knows what the game is about or how much it's meant to incentivize the use of microtransactions.

We get it, microtransactions = bad, your principles are safe up in the sanctity of your holy altar. May the gods welcome you to afterlife for your great ideals about what's okay or not in a videogame.

But DD2 is not a game that incentivizes the use of microtransactions and in fact it's less grindy than DD1, which didn't have any. I have felt zero need to use microtransactions, I have now 3700 Rift Crystals through normal play, and I'm spending them as freely as it gets. For reference, a full character recreation/edit costs 500 Rift Crystals, and I already did one because I wasn't too happy about her frown/grimace expression during cinematics.

The microtransactions in DD2 are a convenience for people with less time to play which is very easy to ignore. Nothing in the game ever shows you "purchase DLC items" either, there isn't even a button or a menu option to purchase anything while you're playing.

Play it or not, your choice, and all choices are good - but spurting your ignorance only makes you look that, ignorant.

Last edited:
I play at 2560x1440 with ray tracing on, every setting to the highest it can go - high/max/ultra. I am on a 3080ti. I have great FPS so I think it really depends on the system. And if someone is playing at 4K ... well then expect some FPS hit.

I'm playing at 4k with max settings, 3090GTX, DLSS enabled and the only FPS drops I ever experience are in the main city during daytime - that's 2% of my playtime, give or take, also when nothing of import is happening so it has no impact on my ability to play or enjoy the game - and I'm pretty sure I'm only perceiving it because I'm looking for it due to all the buzz there is about it, otherwise I would just go through it without notice.

Damn, he's really lost his voice. Just watched it. Seems he's also on a 4090 and without dlss it stays at around 30fps, which is kind of insane.
I'm playing with a 4090, 13900k, 32GB ram. 4k, max settings + RT, no DLSS. I get 40-50 in town and 50-60 out of town. Haven't felt any slowdowns or experienced 1 stutter. Not sure if that's because I have GSYNC or not.

Honestly, I had no idea that the FPS was so low until I saw your post and checked. Still that's pretty low for pretty much the best system money can buy. I should try DLSS and see hoe much difference it makes.

I'm playing with a 4090, 13900k, 32GB ram. 4k, max settings + RT, no DLSS. I get 40-50 in town and 50-60 out of town. Haven't felt any slowdowns or experienced 1 stutter. Not sure if that's because I have GSYNC or not.

Honestly, I had no idea that the FPS was so low until I saw your post and checked. Still that's pretty low for pretty much the best system money can buy. I should try DLSS and see hoe much difference it makes.
I mentioned this before, but I'll repeat in case it's relevant. I've only tried it for max 1h, so only in the intro sequence when you fight the medusa, at 3840x1600 max settings but with dlss on 4090 and ryzen 5950x, and it averaged 60-90 fps. But what was surprising was that for a few times it dropped from 90 to 40. And that kind of drop in framerate you really feel. If it were stable and lower it would be better.

I mentioned this before, but I'll repeat in case it's relevant. I've only tried it for max 1h, so only in the intro sequence when you fight the medusa, at 3840x1600 max settings but with dlss on 4090 and ryzen 5950x, and it averaged 60-90 fps. But what was surprising was that for a few times it dropped from 90 to 40. And that kind of drop in framerate you really feel. If it were stable and lower it would be better.
Yeah, it's choppiness that matters, I think. In some areas when it drops down to 40 or so for me (6600xt @1080p with FSR), it feels worse than that, which probably indicates that the FPS is actually all over the place and the average is 40-ish.
Most of the time it's 60-80-something, but if I turn the gfx up in those areas and drop the FPS to 40-50 it still feels smoother than the town areas because the FPS is stable.

Back
Top Bottom