A JRPG for me? Turn based and fancy free?

ElderGnome

Gnome of the World
High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Hello all. :)

OK - so I'm trying to find a JRPG that I'll enjoy. Full disclosure - I usually like isometric turn-based games. I think Temple of Elemental Evil and Baldur's Gate 2, Arcanum, etc - that was the golden age of computer games. I like some grid based games as well. Grew up on the SSI Gold Box stuff.

What I don't like in most JRPGs:
1) Really mazelike dungeons easy to get lost in with no automap. Hate that.
2) Tons of random encounters in said mazelike dungeons, a constant grind.

What would be one of the least mazelike, least grindy JRPGs for me to try on Steam? Turn based only, no action at all.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Is Final Fantasy X available on it? Turn based, very few dungeons which will tax you because of their layout, and a great game too.

Last Remnant is another good option. Slightly more"Mazey", but still nothing major.

And Phantasy Star 4 on emulator. Again has "mazey" elements, but nothing which will bother you too much.

Trails in the Sky has visible enemies you can avoid, and you can run from any non-boss battle. There's an isometric view similar to the Infinity games and turn-based combat on a tactical grid (not that the combat really requires much in the way of tactics, but it is on a grid!). The game is also very charming.

FFX has its good points -- and a ton of random encounters. It's been announced for Steam but isn't yet available.

I just called to say how much I love the title.

Thanks all. I might start out with Trails in the Sky since it's sitting in my Steam library and I don't recall when I got it. :D

I have played quite a way in that…I like it.

Valkyria Chronicles.

Turn based, fancy free, no grinding, achievements grant you actual ingame rewards.

Trails in the Sky was the first to spring to mind, but I have to second Joxer's suggestion for Valkyria Chronicles. If you don't mind emulators, I'd also highly recommend Chrono Trigger…and Fire Emblem: Awakening, if you have a 3DS. :)

Seconding Trails in the Sky.

Trails in the Sky has visible enemies you can avoid, and you can run from any non-boss battle. There's an isometric view similar to the Infinity games and turn-based combat on a tactical grid (not that the combat really requires much in the way of tactics, but it is on a grid!). The game is also very charming.
And no grinding It will help to know that XP you get from enemies scales. If you're low on it you'll get a lot more than otherwise, so there's no need to force yourself to play random encounters just to earn more XP.

You cannot go wrong with Trails or Valkyria, imo. Even if you don't really like jrpg's, as long as you enjoy turn based games, these two should satisfy.

Back
Top Bottom