Alien: Isolation Has Gone Gold

Haha, I was gonna post the exact same thing but decided to not be a smart ass.

Hehe, well, what can I say.

Not long ago we had this new business-type girl who challenged me at a meeting - and some of my coworkers literally stood up, shook her hand and thanked her for her efforts ;)

Cool! Lots of reports of shaking and needing to take a breaks from reviewers. This sounds immersive as hell.

Well, I just had "an encounter" of sorts and had to escape on a transit system. While I waited for the "train" to arrive, I was more tense than I can remember being in a game for ages.

I nearly quit :)

Doesn't sound like my type of game. I love sneaking around in games but I like it to end with me slitting someone's throat.

Also never understood how people got scared watching aliens, not scary at all IMO. Actually I don't get scared watching anything I know isn't real.

Watched scary movies all the time growing up and never got scared or grossed out while all my friends were cringing. Closest I got was the original nightmare on elm street because I thought I might dream about it, but I never did.

Kind of wish I could though, I feel like I'm missing an expierence.

Also never understood how people got scared watching aliens, not scary at all IMO. Actually I don't get scared watching anything I know isn't real.

It might be your generation. You've become hardened to this kind of thing. I grew up(until about 13) in the age of black and white tv and extremely censored material.
Plus anything deemed not appropriate by parents(almost everything) was a no. No Violence whatsoever until the race riots in the late sixties. I am starting to think that what some of the psychologists today say about video and game violence to younger children might be right.

I'm really looking forward tonight to play. Anyone have some impressions of the survival mode featuring the voices of some of the original cast?

Well there is difference between being scared and just nervous about getting wacked, you know.

You mean like having 50,000 souls in dark souls and standing outside of a fog gate. I know that fear well.:biggrin:

@redman, it's possible I suppose but I don't ever remember being scared by horror films or games.

I also grew up with black and white tv ( until 7 or 8 I'd guess )but my parents worked a lot so I was free to watch whatever.

About being scared, I find it has to do with immersion. If I'm not immersed in whatever movie or game, I can't feel that kind of primal response.

For instance, I can't get scared playing an isometric game of any kind - as I don't feel part of the world.

Another factor is empathy for the characters involved, which is particularly relevant for movies. If I can't put myself in their place, it's hard to be scared or emotionally involved.

Sure, you can feel a shock or a cheap thrill - but that's not what I'm looking for in a good horror experience.

Some movies excel at establishing a particular ambience and mood, and Alien is definitely among the best of the bunch. It's also a slow burn movie - which really lets the watcher settle into it before setting the beast upon him.

I wouldn't call Aliens a horror movie. That's more of an action thriller. But I find the writing to be strong and the characters compelling and plausible. So, I can easily put myself in their place and feel very tense as I witness the hell they're going through.

Another great example is The Thing from 1982, which also takes its time to build the characters - and really show the audience what kind of psychology is involved in such a horrific and tense situation. I will never forget that "blood test" scene, and how I might as well have been in the same room with those guys. It was that well set up.

As for "it's not real" - that's kinda irrelevant. I mean, we're watching movies and playing games here. We're spending countless hours with them. Personally, I can't imagine doing that if I don't get something back - and I assume that even if you're not scared, you involve yourself on some level. As such, you've already set aside the unreality and let yourself be immersed.

It's really the same thing with horror - and I don't know why some people don't achieve that response.

It's quite a unique sensation to be so tense and so emotionally entangled in a fantasy. I love it and I feel bad for people who don't get to experience it.

That said, it's also something that requires a very specific approach and surplus of mental energy. I can't just sit down and play a horror game like Alien Isolation unless I'm prepared and the circumstances are right.

It needs to be dark around me, and I need to be able to focus on it entirely. It wouldn't work at all in daylight with other people being around. That would ruin everything.

So, it could be something that's hard to play in the right way, if you don't have that opportunity very often.

…..

I have a hard time playing this. Too much ;)

Keep wanting to take off my surround headphones because the sound of its movement is disturbing, but then I can't fucking hear the thing coming for me.

Also, I placed several large caliber bullets into its head and, I swear, I think it was laughing!

Is there any kind of in-game explanation as to why you can't injure it? The Xenomorphs were susceptible to firearms in the movies. Just curious...

Is there any kind of in-game explanation as to why you can't injure it? The Xenomorphs were susceptible to firearms in the movies. Just curious…

It's based entirely around Alien - and it seems to completely ignore the other movies.

In Alien, I think the idea was that it was the "perfect organism" and that you might as well give up and run.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Supposedly, you can scare it off with fire - but I've yet to try it.

It does seem a bit odd that you can't injure it at all, but I guess the game would end pretty quickly - as I would empty my large caliber gun into its head at the first opportunity.

In fact, it was the first thing I tried :)

But they could have had the acid destroy the hull and make you not shoot for that reason.

Really, though, I think they just want you to feel powerless and it's working wonders.

I have to take constant breaks from the tension. I guess I'm just a pussy when it comes to the Alien creature. Always had a strong effect on me.

Probably why I love the movies. Well, the first two.

Is it really 15 hours of just running and hiding?

More like 15 hours of crouching and hiding. You crouch 90 % of the time.

Tremendous work went into creating a believable station and you have no time to spend to enjoy it. It just sits to create an atmosphere.

It looks more like an experience than a game. The replayability is unsure.
It is intense and a large part of it comes from exploring the place. Once you know where to go, it might be over. Something to consider when you choose the difficulty level at the start as there might be ways to game the AI.

A plausible candidate for speed runs.

Back
Top Bottom