Alien RPG - Josh Sawyer @IGN Unfiltered

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
IGN Unfiltered talked about Obsidian's cancelled Alien RPG with Josh Sawyer.

According to Sawyer, the footage that leaked back in 2013 was from a build of the game that was “one or two” milestones prior to the build Obsidian had when the game was canceled, something that Sawyer says saddened him.

“It was too little, too late honestly,” Sawyer says. “Even though I was really disappointed it got canceled, I get why it was canceled. I wasn’t like, ‘Whoa, where did this come from?’”

[...]
More information.

i for one, would like to play a rpg in that universe !

Stasis was good. Stupid Obsidian never managed to do anything enjoyable, except maybe botched buggy Alpha Protocol.. What a trainwreck of a company!

This would be a huge seller, if done correctly. The problem nowadays, at least for me, is I'm sure it would be some online garbage game instead of a real, tactical hard-line solo rpg. Which most of my mates would avoid like the plague.

Good interview. I for one like Josh Sawyer, one might not like his design decisions, but at least he's clear on explaining things. Nice to see him admit the game was having major problems, and the cancellation was understandable. That's something you rarely hear from the developer of a cancelled game.

The last Alien movie had those touching mother/child scenes. Not that big of a step, really.

Feels like I've read this same article before. How many canceled games has Sawyer worked on at this point?

I for one like Josh Sawyer, one might not like his design decisions...
I guess I'd like him too, as a person, but he's a game designer.

Feels like I've read this same article before. How many canceled games has Sawyer worked on at this point?

I guess I'd like him too, as a person, but he's a game designer.

Well he comes over very well in interviews, I think. I also watched all of his POE & POE 2 update videos because I found them entertaining. In my opinion he clarifies and presents his positions and ideas well and in a very watchable fashion. That's what I mean. He could be terrible in person. Back in the day I really liked O.J. Simpson's football commentary, and found him a very likable presenter. In private it turns out he wasn't such a jolly good fellow, but he could present himself well.

(I'm going to be pedantic now, not meant to start a fight :) )

You liked OJ as a presenter. At the time his job was to present.

You like Sawyer as a presenter, but his job isn't to present things, he's a game designer, and the dislike for him is so strong because people don't like the way he does his job.

I was just trying to explain my position, and I am aware many people don't like him as a game designer, which is probably not all true anyways, really people don't like how he designed the mechanics of Pillars of Eternity, but most of these people don't have a problem with the design on his other projects like Icewind Dale 2 or Fallout:New Vegas. I personally liked Pillars of Eternity, as well as his other projects. I wasn't trying to comment on his job anyways, but on the interview. I'd listen to Josh Sawyer interview any day, but even though I like Brian Fargo games, I'm not a big fan of listening to his interviews. I also like listening to Sven Vinke, even though I'm not a superfan of Larian. Since the article was on the interview, and the fate of Alien RPG, and not on Josh Sawyer's design philosophy, I think, in that context, my initial comment was completely valid.

A threesome between Aliens, System Shock and Bloodlines is something that needs to happen.

Back
Top Bottom