Votes: 9 11.4%
  • 60's

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 70+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There should be another option under 70+ simply titled "Corwin". :biggrin:
I remember back at the 'Dot, he had a weird birth date set for himself and at some point the forum software said "users having their birthday today: … Corwin (100)". That was towards the end of the last millennium. I told my friends, "whoa, there's someone on the forums who was born in the previous century!" Which means he'd now be in his third century already. Imagine that! I think he might be related to the Face of Boe.

Voted '30s. I'm not at all surprised by the results, I thought this was common RPGWatch knowledge. :p I'm a bit surprised to hear 40+ people say that their environment reacted in a weird way upon hearing that they play games. I've always found the people that expect you to live your life in a certain way based upon age, or reason "X", a bit weird.

@pibbur who - Bard's Tale II, the Destiny Knight - I love this game.
Very hard to begin with such a challenging dungeon crawler. Spinners and teleports everywhere.

@DArtagnan - the common factor of many threads going nowhere on RPGWatch is you. You have your opinions and often don't accept the opinions of others at all. You can't be convinced by good arguments and at the same time you post in nearly every thread. This discourages potential new Watchers to start a discussion at all. Many old Watchers, like Trasher, have already given up as well.
This is not about the person DArtagnan, it's about your board behavior.
I believe in friendly polite discussions: Say to your discussion partner with what you agree and with what you disagree. Exchange arguments, avoid strawmens. Try to learn and understand, make compromises if necessary, be convinced, convince the others or simply move on.

PS:
Some new young posters, more female members and some Codexian CRPG veterans would be very good for the discussion culture of RPGWatch IMHO.

HiddenX, you're the one getting personal. Give up and stop exchanging with me, if you can't handle an honest opinion. If you must fabricate insults where there are none, then do it. But don't waste my time and the time of other posters by conjuring up behavior that's not actually there, but simply based on your distaste and dislike for what you don't understand.

I'm a prominent poster and I have a lot on my mind. I'm not the only one in a lot of threads - but I guess I'm a key poster, so what? If people keep challenging what I'm saying, I'll keep responding. I don't talk in a vacuum - so stop the bullshit personal stuff, as it's not doing you any favors.

Can we move on? Take it to PM if you want to continue or create a separate thread.

@pibbur who - Bard's Tale II, the Destiny Knight - I love this game.
Very hard to begin with such a challenging dungeon crawler. Spinners and teleports everywhere.

And the herbs!!!!

pibbur who loved BTII and spent a long time with it, but who is happy that he doesn't see a herb these days

BTW: I googled for a reference to the "you see a herb" from BTII. I found 3. All written by me. Now there are 4 methinks.

From here:

Herb
His Name Strikes fear into the drunkest of bards. The worst part about encountering Herb is his annoying tendency to multiply. When he is summoned he doesn't just fight you, he overwhelms you. By the time you kill him he will have summoned another and another and yet another. So when I face him I usually ask myself 'will the experience points and the little gold I get out of this fight be worth the aggravation I know he is about to cause me?' For this update I will be going over Herb's weaknesses and his strengths.

The Facts

What started out as a simple melee of some mages and giants ends quite differently. The problem with Herb is that he usually isn't worth the trouble of fighting him. I usually run away (or try to kill the summoner before he can call a Herb).

His Strengths

Herb has a ton of hit points, starts out away from melee range, and replicates. So it can take a while to whip one or as it usually turns out around four of them. When in melee range the characters with lesser experience points generally can't touch him.

His Weaknesses

Herb spends most of his time filling up his ranks… Even when they are already filled. He rarely attacks and if he does you should be able to take the brunt of his attacks with ease. Since you may not be able to hit him too well think about throwable weapons; even at close range.

Battle Tactics

So here is the real question: 'How do you kill a Herb?' Well lets start with some simple ways to finish them off. For close range attacks use the stone blade (warrior/paladin), a critical hit (hunter), drums of death (bard), or deathstrike (magician spell) for melee range. For distance fighting have your bard play "The Archer's Tune." Then have your paladin, bard, and thief throw their Sword of Zar, Song Axe, and Aram's Knife respectively. For your magic users consider the dream spell and Mangar's Mallet. For a more difficult battle have your best experienced fighters go after Herb. A good monk or warrior can do some real damage and have your spell caster cast melee men and pull them all forward one at a time. When they are all within range you may want to refer to the simple ways to dispatch them listed above.

A Job Well Done

Unfortunately even though you just finished off a couple of Herb you might have wasted a handful of spell points and a lot of time. Because your next battle may be exactly the same thing. So to avoid this problem familiarize yourself with the monster spellcasters and kill them off before they can call in the big hitters or Herb for that matter. So you ask yourself again 'Is Herb worth the trouble?' Well I'll leave that up to you.

My first CRPG was actually Dungeon Master…o.o I don't even know if I'd started to learn multiplication yet. I moved quickly to Wolfenstein 3D and SimEarth, but in those days most of my gaming time (and there was a lot of that) was still spent on the NES and SNES. I really hit my stride with PC's by the time I crossed over into my teens, when games like Ultimate Domain, Hexen, and later, Lords of the Realm II, became available. That was when the SNES started waning, and I'd lost interest in consoles.

I started really young.

Oh, and on the topic of the Codex, I called it a "sewer" the other night, and that seemed an unpopular notion, and maybe an unfair one from me. But like a lot of others, I've only ever seen homophobic, misogynist, hateful poison from them. If that ever changes, I'm all too happy to alter my opinion. :)

Oh, and on the topic of the Codex, I called it a "sewer" the other night, and that seemed an unpopular notion...

It was probably just unpopular because you were being way too polite by only calling it a sewer ;) .

My very first RPG-ish game was on the Spectrum - and I believe it was a Watch member that may have reminded me of its name, but now I've forgotten it again.

It was obviously a very primitive game, and you were some character exploring a cave - and there was a dragon in it. That's about what I remember.

But the first RPG I really got into was Bard's Tale. I played that on both C64 and the Amiga. I was very impressed by the character portraits on the Amiga ;)

Anyway here is a re-post from myself from another thread.:)

I grew up with an old Atari system from the 80's, and moved on to the Nintendo system after that myself. It was my brother who got me interested in D&D gaming.

He also bought my first PC back when they cost more then today. My first major RPG game I played on the PC started with Fallout followed by Baldur's Gate.

Before that I played just JRPG's on the consoles. So you see I'm not as old as some of you it seems. I rarely played any gold-box, or other SSI games.:cool:
Oh, and on the topic of the Codex, I called it a "sewer" the other night, and that seemed an unpopular notion, and maybe an unfair one from me. But like a lot of others, I've only ever seen homophobic, misogynist, hateful poison from them. If that ever changes, I'm all too happy to alter my opinion. :)
Well I called them worse on my time on these forums so don't worry. Just like the other poster said you probably complimented them as trolls love sewers.:biggrin:

Since I had an Apple ][+, I started with Castle Wolfenstein and Karateka and similar games ... but my first RPG was the original Wizardry.

After I left the Apple ][ behind for PC and Mac, I didn't do much gaming and then rebooted with FPS games, and it wasn't until 2002 when I really got back into them ... and they remain my favorite genre.

My last post about the Codex in this thread:
You all are aware that most trolls you have seen over the last week here are Ex-Codexians that were banned from the Codex?

Infinitron, felipepepe, Crooked Bee, Octavius and Jaesun are real Codexians for example; GhanBuriGhan, Jaz and I are part-time Codexians :)

My last post about the Codex in this thread:
You all are aware that most trolls you have seen over the last week here are Ex-Codexians that were banned from the Codex?
I already know this as they get banished to our site, and have to post a certain amount of replies. Apparently to them our site is worse than the Codex. :lol:

Last edited:
I too am an old Codexian, maybe one of the oldest....

I left when the site started being all about male anatomy. I prefer female :)

In my 40's full time career.
First computer was Christmas 1984 a C64
First game I couldn't get enough of was Ulimta 3.
Wife, 2 boys, 2 large St. Bernard dogs, 4 cats.

Back
Top Bottom