BG3 Baldur's Gate 3 News Thread

Baldur's gate 3
Humour is fine when it's IC... I bought an RPG, not a circus simulator. I'd rather have it more subtle too.

I haven't seen anything too silly in the EA either, so it should be all right. I'm just worried when I see videos like that, but after all, each game has its Easter eggs - and Easter eggs are the most enjoyable when they're hidden.

PS: I know that humour and it's neither British nor US. ;)

Personally I always hated certain types of humor in RPGs myself.

Even the new D&D movie uses humor way to much.(n)

I have very, very low expectations for it; will see it with both TT groups I'm with. Should be at least be mildly entertaining
(one hopes . . .)

Too much hype.
My main issue is it seems this will be a 200 hour romp and I rarely finish those games.
I get bored after 50-80 hours max usually.
Oh boy, if they are estimating the game around 200 hrs, then I'm sure will complete it at 400 hrs :(
Because I know the type of player I am (every nook and cranny must be investigated - perhaps twice :p)

Oh boy, if they are estimating the game around 200 hrs, then I'm sure will complete it at 400 hrs :(
Because I know the type of player I am (every nook and cranny must be investigated - perhaps twice :p)
200 hours is probably a completionist estimate. I think I spent around 30-35 hours doing almost everything in the first act, and there are 3 acts. I did read somewhere that Act 2 is supposed to be bigger though.

Seeing as I'm 80-90 hours into Div OS2 it was more of a presumption without any evidence @henriquejr @JDR13
Sorry for the confusion :D
I'd say you are about correct though. It is easily 50% larger than OS:2 and it has some class/alignment gated content as well.

Just curious, but how do we know this? The EA is still just the first act isn't it?
I was comparing Act 1 vs Act 1 in each game. I guess that may not be a fair comparison though. Who knows what the later Act's will be like but given how many people/time they have spent on this I think there will be much more exclusive optional content to warrant a second playthrough.

I'm curious what you're basing that on.
I already answered above that I was making a slightly flawed estimate based on Act I of each respective game (I've played both) but it is also based on looking at the game map and a bit of deduction. I would be very suprised if I am wrong. The class/alignment comment was also based on what I have played and is true.

I already answered above that I was making a slightly flawed estimate based on Act I of each respective game (I've played both) but it is also based on looking at the game map and a bit of deduction. I would be very suprised if I am wrong. The class/alignment comment was also based on what I have played and is true.
I'd be very surprised if you're right. The game will be long, no question, but at least 50% longer than one of the longest RPGs out there? I doubt it. And I hope not. Branching options for longer play time is fine and dandy, but a game that takes 200+ hours to play through once? No thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than 200 hours of gameplay, but taking all the branches into account. Given all the C&C the game seems to offer, and that it's fully voiced, making it so long for just one run would require an insane amount of work. It would also be a nightmare to ensure there are no logic flaws between those choices.

But that's without considering the combat. A TB game can be significantly longer than a RTwP or an action RPG. If you remember how long that Blackpits battle could drag in D:OS2... I hope we don't see that too often in BG3!

I also doubt that they would offer a shorter experience than D:OS2, so all things considered, I'd expect something in the range of 150-250 hours for a first completionist run.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than 200 hours of gameplay, but taking all the branches into account. Given all the C&C the game seems to offer, and that it's fully voiced, making it so long for just one run would require an insane amount of work. It would also be a nightmare to ensure there are no logic flaws between those choices.

I also doubt that they would offer a shorter experience than D:OS2, so all things considered, I'd expect something in the range of 150-250 hours for a first completionist run.
An insane amount of work yes. But BG3 does have an insanely large number of developers on it. More than 10x the number that worked on DOS:2 and it was delivered in 2 years not the 5 that BG3 has taken!

Although I would say the hours vary a lot depending on the player. For me, DOS:2 took about 190 hours (clearing 99.9% of the content). I spent the time to read the dialogues and spent a fair bit of time looking through the merchants, reading some of the ingame lore and even reloading to try different choices etc. Someone who blazes through games would clear it in 120-140 hours I am sure. I have no doubt BG3 is going to be a 200 hour+ game for me.

An insane amount of work yes. But BG3 does have an insanely large number of developers on it. More than 10x the number that worked on DOS:2 and it was delivered in 2 years not the 5 that BG3 has taken!
Yeah, it's already an insane amount of work indeed. I still think there's a limit to how long they can make it, because every new branch multiplies the number of combinations to consider during the development and test. Besides, not everyone likes a very long game so they probably don't want to stretch the story too far. But that reasoning doesn't apply as much to side quests, so perhaps it could be even longer for someone who goes through everything.

I'm sure it won't be short.

Back
Top Bottom