Baldur's Gate 3 - Wins BAFTA Games Awards

BAFTA awards are no joke, basically the Oscars of videogames. Big props to Larian once again.

Yeah good for them but the enthusiasm from me has run out

Larian has won and dominated every major award now.

Yeah good for them but the enthusiasm from me has run out

Larian has won and dominated every major award now.
Well hopefully other game developers will get the hint, and we can start seeing some more deeper thinking RPG's - with a lot more freedom of choice.
I'm sick of the console focused 'simplification' to suit more sales, or mass appeal - I dread to think what the next elder scrolls may end up becoming if they continue to dumb things down.

Here is the conundrum:

- Companies that are into gamedev for profit get rich by developing "fast food games" and then keep making the same type of game as that's what will keep bringing profit.

- Studios that are into gamedev for passion rarely get huge profits, as they usually appeal to small niches, so they never get the budget to make AAA quality games.

The ideal would be studios that are not driven by profit alone, and somehow managed to get in a position where they can afford to develop AAA games, and in the RPG scene, for the last couple pf decades I can only think of CDProjekt and Larian filling that bill, with honorable mention to Owlcat because they are trying with a degree of success, but not quite there yet, likely never to get there. Rest in peace old tryhards like BioWare and Obsidian that already succumbed to the profit empire.

If these few studios weren't around, it's not unlikely that making niche games would become a thing of the past outside of indie/solo devs, which is tragic. Nobody wants to see Larian being absorbed by Microsoft or EA and start making fast-food reheated TB RPGs one a year.

Bottom line: I feel it's my duty as a RPG fan to treasure games like BG3, CP2077 or Rogue Trader even if they were not made perfect-fit to my particular set of preferences. The RPG scene will look like a barren wasteland the day these people are not showing the world that games can still be made with passion for an ideal.

I'm sure some people can be like "Oh I can live without BG3, I wouldn't miss it" but the thing is, everyone can live without BG1 too, but without BG1 to show the way, devs wouldn't have been inspired to try to reproduce that formula and make half of the cRPGs we love today, and that's exactly what Larian, CDProjekt and possibly Owlcat are doing for the generations of devs that will make the games of the future.

Last edited:
Here is the conundrum:

- Companies that are into gamedev for profit get rich by developing "fast food games" and then keep making the same type of game as that's what will keep bringing profit.

- Studios that are into gamedev for passion rarely get huge profits, as they usually appeal to small niches, so they never get the budget to make AAA quality games.

The ideal would be studios that are not driven by profit alone, and somehow managed to get in a position where they can afford to develop AAA games, and in the RPG scene, for the last couple pf decades I can only think of CDProjekt and Larian filling that bill, with honorable mention to Owlcat because they are trying with a degree of success, but not quite there yet, likely never to get there. Rest in peace old tryhards like BioWare and Obsidian that already succumbed to the profit empire.

If these few studios weren't around, it's not unlikely that making niche games would become a thing of the past outside of indie/solo devs, which is tragic. Nobody wants to see Larian being absorbed by Microsoft or EA and start making fast-food reheated TB RPGs one a year.

Bottom line: I feel it's my duty as a RPG fan to treasure games like BG3, CP2077 or Rogue Trader even if they were not made perfect-fit to my particular set of preferences. The RPG scene will look like a barren wasteland the day these people are not showing the world that games can still be made with passion for an ideal.

I'm sure some people can be like "Oh I can live without BG3, I wouldn't miss it" but the thing is, everyone can live without BG1 too, but without BG1 to show the way, devs wouldn't have been inspired to try to reproduce that formula and make half of the cRPGs we love today, and that's exactly what Larian, CDProjekt and possibly Owlcat are doing for the generations of devs that will make the games of the future.
Yep - I totally agree, and it's so frustrating that the games industry has morphed into this kind of capitalist beast. I still shed a tear for Bioware (EA buyout), and like you said, it's likely Obsidian has gone this way now too (Microsoft buyout), oh - and I also almost forgot about Bethesda being absorbed into Microsoft as well.
Thank god Larian has bloomed into the company it is today. I remember playing 'Divine Divinity', wow - they have come so far since those early days (I actually really like Divine Divinity too).

As much as I complain about the situation of today's RPGs, I still hold out hope that we will get some more great games, although I'm quite worried about the next Elder Scrolls game, the next Dragon Age installment, and the new path Obsidian has been treading since the Microsoft buyout.
The next RPG I enjoy will probably be delivered by Owlcat, as Larian are probably still years away from getting something finished at this stage.
I was hoping Larian would do something along the lines of Icewind Dale 3 - but I think Swen is veering away from D and D altogether.

Back
Top Bottom