HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Couchpotato spotted a Capes review on CGM:

Capes (PC) Review

Not All Heroes

Capes caught my eye pretty immediately because it's been quite a while since I've played a good turn-based strategy game. Actually, that's not entirely true, Nexus 5 was a quite good turn-based strategy game, but I guess I was looking for a good turn-based strategy like Fire Emblem - maybe we need a name for that subgenre...Emblemlikes?

[...]

As such, the battles feel very unenthusiastic and lack the excitement and tension you would expect from something like this. I get that the whole vibe of the game is the cyberpunk dystopian future, but when your gameplay is slow and methodical, and you're ALSO adding superheroes into the mix, you need upbeat, exciting music to keep the player invested.

Like I said, Capes isn't a bad game it's just, ironically, not one that realizes its full potential. Its foundation is solid enough, and fans of Emblemlikes will probably have a good time with this, but without the backing of distinct audio and visual presentation, it gets lost in the sea of more distinct RTS games.

Score: 7/10
More information.

The full review might be accurate but mislabelling the game at the end of the quoted part as an RTS basically removes any faith in the reviewer, or a desire to read it.

And yes, he refers to the genre correctly earlier on but still... did he mean to type "TBS" but fumbled to typing "RTS"?!

Huh ? It's clear from the article he understands this is a TB game, so that's obviously a typo or brain-freeze by the writer or an editor not a 'mislabeling'.

Back
Top Bottom