Catching up on everything StarWars

Didn't mean anything offensive by it...seems like something more suited for younger audience.
Still can't beat Predator, though. Dutch>>>Skywalker. :p

Saying this could get me knifed in the wrong company, but…

I always thought Star Wars was kinda really campy?? It's like…space fantasy.

I've always liked the hard sci-fi/military sci-fi more, like Star Trek and Stargate (SG-1 and Atlantis) and Mass Effect…

*backs away slowly*

Yes, Star Was is not hard sci-fi, it's space fantasy, that's been the common understanding since it came out in 1977, I don't know why you'd be afraid to state common knowledge. Star Wars versus Star Trek is such a well worn debate and I'm amazed you'd think people would flame you for saying they're different concepts. On your point, I prefer space fantasy and hard sci-fi to military sci-fi and, like JDR, simply couldn't get into Stargate. No idea why you're backing away... you just stated a short statement about sci-fi variants... if anything you've left me wanting to flame you for thinking anyone was going to flame you... *insert gif of dancing girls doing the can-can*

I always thought Star Wars was kinda really campy?? It's like…space fantasy.

I look at it this way ... I didn't find out that the Star Wars trilogy were 'great movies' until after the prequel series started ... In other words, nearly 25 years after I first saw them. Personally I love the movies, but I never thought they were 'great'. Fun sure, but I always found it fairly campy B-movie stuff. Not a guilty pleasure, but not 'high art' either.

As for the Star Wars / Star Trek thing ... Yeah, there is little territory that is MORE well-worn. Heck, I have now been having those discussions for 38 years! I LOVE Star Trek AND Star Wars, each for different reasons and in different ways. This isn't a zero-sum game, you don't have to CHOOSE.

I love both too and feel zero need to analyze why.

It is funny - I was looking at the Penny Arcade comic this morning and it hit home a bit for me ...

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/12/18

My younger son went with us last night (as I mentioned, older son still at college until this weekend), and he really enjoyed the movie but Star Wars is much less of 'a thing' for him at this point than for the rest of us.

Which is a bit ironic since he dressed as Anakin for Halloween about 4-5 years! :)

I've always liked the hard sci-fi/military sci-fi more, like Star Trek
Star Trek and military SF in one sentence? Vhoa.
Don't get me wrong, I really loved Star Trek: The animated series, but military SF is my favorite genre, and 'military' and 'people wearing pajamas all day' just don't go together for me.

I think you could definitely convict Star Wars on charges of being campy space fantasy, but I'd say Star Trek and Star Gate would have to go down along with it.

For me, hard sci fi movies are things like Gattaca, Moon, and Ex Machina.

Beyond ROTJ, the only really worthy books reading are The Thrawn Trilogy.

Okay, there are some more good books, but you can easily forget everything "Expanded Universe" and only read that.

Besides, long, long ago I wrote 2 fan-fiction stories. It's I think something about 10 years ago already …

Since I'll never be able to publish them -Lucasfilm has forbidden fans publishing their story commercially - I have already rewritten one of both into an fantasy setting.
The other one is far more difficult to rewrite for me.

So I re-watched the first Star Wars last night, it was better than I remembered it so I am half way through the Empire Strikes back.

Maybe there is hope for me to be a Star Wars fan after all.

My God, man! I can't believe you of all people aren't a Star Wars fan, just think of all the DRAMA you're missing out on ;)

I enjoy the whole series, and have been watching them all this past week on my iPad Pro via Amazon video.

I am a fan of the last prequel, Revenge of the Sith and Sind it better than Return of the Jedi. Evan McGregor and Ian McDermid have delicious performances, there is some great action, set pieces and things actually seem to make more sense than in the previous prequels.

Also enjoying replaying a bunch of the games over the last couple of months … :)

My 2 cents about prequels.

The phantom menace is quite horrible and I always struggle to get through it. There are parts where I just push fast forward. That movie seriously needs a director's cut where all the pointless, akward and lame scenes are cut. One of the most glaring examples is the ending.
How great would have the ending been if it had ended in Qui Con Jinn's funeral? Instead Lucas puts a pointless parade scene at the end.

Attack of the clones while suffering from similar problems, is not entirely bad. I actually had fun time watching it in cinema. Sure there are plenty of filler scenes and typical prequel era Lucas akwardness, but as a whole the film works. By no means this is great cinema, but as a star wars film it is not unwatchable

Revenge of the sith is clearly the best of all three and almost right there with classic trilogy. Sadly it took Lucas 2 films to get this far. I wish he had hired someone else to direct the films from the begining with.

Revenge of the sith is clearly the best of all three and almost right there with classic trilogy. Sadly it took Lucas 2 films to get this far. I wish he had hired someone else to direct the films from the begining with.

I don't agree with that at all. If Christensen's acting had improved from AotC, it could have been a much better movie. As it is, some of the scenes are so bad that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It was better than Phantom Menace of course, but I enjoyed AotC more.

Hmm its been quite a while since I watched these films, but I'd definitely put RotS above AoTC. I always wanted to know how Jedi order was defeated and how papaltine took control of the Senate etc. I thought those were pretty exciting scenes. And the last duel between Anakin and Obiwan was quite an iconic moment. I had waited for that ever since the prequel trilogy was announced.

Acting wise I don't think there is that much difference. Sure there were overacted scenes here and there, but I was kind of used to it by then :)

I think the main weakness of RotS was how they portrayed Anakin's conversion to Dark Side. It kind of happened fast and a bit too easily. I was hoping to see more inner struggle, but Anakin basicly went from one extreme to an other in few scenes.

I think the main weakness of RotS was how they portrayed Anakin's conversion to Dark Side. It kind of happened fast and a bit too easily. I was hoping to see more inner struggle, but Anakin basicly went from one extreme to an other in few scenes.

There was a bit of an inner struggle after he killed Count Dooku and also when Palpatine revealed himself but generally you have to consider his ulterior motive which was to save Padme.
From his point of view there was only one way to save her and that was to acquire the dark life-saving powers of Darth Plagueis via Darth Sidious.
That is why he eventually turned over so easily. He felt he had no choice and he was also still traumatized by his mother's death which he could not prevent.
Having these visions and nightmares of a dying Padme left him with very little resistance when Sidious offered him a chance to save her.

Then add to this that he felt the Jedi council was not taking him seriously, did not promote him as expected and that he generally felt let down even by Obi-Wan at times. If you consider all of these things then it is quite understandable why Anakin was seduced so easily.

For me, the main weakness of RotS -which I consider to be the best of the PT by far- was the duel at the end. Anakin was supposed to be the strongest Jedi/Sith ever and ended up with his legs chopped off after trying to pull off a really dumb attack on Obi-Wan.
I wish they would have portrayed his defeat more like an accident. He should have had Obi-Wan on the verge of defeat, ready to deal the final, fatal blow and then should have somehow fallen into the lava by accident (or from a nearby explosion shaking the ground or something).

Okay so I finished the first 3 movie release(4,5,6) and really enjoyed them more than I remember watching them 30 years ago.

I will watch the next three sometime over this week.

For me, the main weakness of RotS -which I consider to be the best of the PT by far- was the duel at the end. Anakin was supposed to be the strongest Jedi/Sith ever and ended up with his legs chopped off after trying to pull off a really dumb attack on Obi-Wan. I wish they would have portrayed his defeat more like an accident. He should have had Obi-Wan on the verge of defeat, ready to deal the final, fatal blow and then should have somehow fallen into the lava by accident (or from a nearby explosion shaking the ground or something).

Nah.. I think they got that part right. He might have been the most powerful Jedi/Sith, but they were trying to convey how his anger and hate were his undoing.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Describes what happened to Anakin perfectly.

Agree with JDR13, he was so compromised by his emotions he made a decision to launch a doomed attack.

Back
Top Bottom