Civilization 6

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/
It'll be released in two weeks.

There are already some review version articles, for example this one:
https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/04/civilization-6-play-through-the-road-to-a-religious-victory/

And some videos about what seems as huge changes to series (example: Total Biscuit).

It's price is… Say what? O_O Do I need my eyesight checked again?
There is season pass not separate, but included in so called deluxe edition.
There is also a preorder bonus that expires 90 days post release when it'll be unlocked for everyone.

Who's buying? Why? Where? Which version?

I'm buying. Civilization 5 had a huge, huge place in my life - my family probably spent more hours on the LAN playing that game together than any other game, including MMOs I've played. Weeks of long, epic battles (or cooperation) - honestly the game probably won't be quite "finished" when they release it, ala Civ 5 and Beyond Earth, which didn't get interesting until the Rising Tide expansion...

Yeah. I might even do the Deluxe Edition for my wife and our gaming pal as a Holiday gift. Love these types of games more than any other, really. The price is a pittance compared to the hours upon hours of entertainment it will give me; I don't know any other medium that returns bang for the buck like a game that can be played for hundreds of hours.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I'll buy for sure but when? No idea. Definitely not right at release. (Gotta finish Witcher 3!)

Years away for me too. Am still burnt out from Civ3. Have dabbled in 5 and little more in 4 but nothing like the times I spent with 3.

I intend to, Joxer. My birthday is nearing and I think I'll give myself this gift. Civ V is the game I clocked most hours on Steam. Actually, it was the game which bought me to Steam (I bought a physical copy which needed to be installed on a Steam account, something like that). I'm still deciding which version to buy...

It depends on the navies. If real navies are back I'm interested. But I was extremely bored by Civ 5 because it just wasn't fun. These harbors seem weird. Inland navies?

I'm wanting the same fun I had with Civ I, II, and IV.

It is going to be hard. The product seems oriented toward MU.
Experienced streamers (in the previous iterations) showcased factions and while discovering the mechanics, managed to achieve victory.
As to the units, some of them stated they could not conclude before playing MU.

I'm finding that I'm seriously burnt out on 4x games and it's rare that I really enjoy them. But despite this I will probably end up getting Civ 6 close to the release date. Some of the things I've read about it do sound very promising.

Seems you may win civ6 key without social networks rubbish by just watching promo video and submitting an answer with your e-mail address:
https://www.vg247.com/2016/10/05/win-civilization-6-on-pc/

Although in comments someone says it's UK only, I'm not sure. Do disable adware blocker to see the video.

Due to the high price I went for the 25th Anniversary Edition.

I mean the base price is 60€
The Digital Deluxe (including all DLCs which I would buy anyways) is at 80€
The Anniversary Edition, which is physical, includes some coins and the DD version of the game costs 90€

So the physical edition seemed to be the most logical choice for me.

Played Civ 5 for over 500h and I am pretty sure I get the value I pay for.

A good overview of changes between civ 5 and 6 can be found on Quill18's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur93WWmoS5A

I'm most excited about the changes to city planning. I'm a big fan of specialized cities/planets in 4x games as opposed to just building every building in every city. Some of the new AI personality quirks seem quite interesting too.

I'm most concerned about the AI. I remember how bad the Civ 5 AI was on release, and I'm worried that they haven't learned their lesson about creating systems that the AI is not smart enough to understand. If the AI can't put up a fight then it doesn't matter how great everything else is.

Last edited:
Absolutely true. At Civ 5 Release AI couldn't even cross water.
But even in the latest version AI was still bad. And in some points intentionally bad.
Bad in navigating unities in combat, bad in taking opportunities to attack, bad in trade deals and completely apathetic to Artifact trades.

Yeah it was unfortunate because I remember there were versions of Civ where the AI was really good and where it felt like an accomplishment if I even came close to winning the game. I think Civ 4 was like that, which was was what kept me coming back to the game to try out new strategies and ideas. I liked many of the Civ 5 mechanics better than Civ 4, but I could never get into it because of the lack of challenge.

Due to the high price I went for the 25th Anniversary Edition.
Sadly, this edition is not available on amazon.com (US) nor .co.uk (UK) yet. Bestbuy has it though in US and UK can go game.co.uk and "waste" 85 pounds (O_O).
http://www.game.co.uk/en/civilization-vi-25th-anniversary-edition-1603705
On amazon.de it's possible to preorder already, while australian customers can preorder it at ebgames.com.au

It's not possible to buy this verson from Firaxis store, but it's available at 2Kgames store:
http://store.2k.com/store/Tk22k/en_IE/pd/productID.5064609900

Last edited:
Inland navies?
What's wrong with that? There were some serious battles on the Great Lakes a couple hundred years back. In fact, there's still a naval base just north of Chicago in case we need to make a sneak at... <AHEM> ... that is totally for training purposes only.

What's wrong with that? There were some serious battles on the Great Lakes a couple hundred years back.

I think the Great Lakes are large enough and important enough and (even when it only had portage roads) to need navies. The US only managed to get out of the war of 1812 by managing to take Lake Erie.

I believe Russia does a fair bit of navy training and construction on the Caspian too. Canada built the only pycrete ship in history on Lake Winnipeg. But in these two cases they don't see action until they're moved to the ocean.

In fact, there's still a naval base just north of Chicago in case we need to make a sneak at… <AHEM> … that is totally for training purposes only.

Yes, and there's a coast guard base replete with submarines near Ketchican at the mouth of the Dixon Entrance of the Hecate Straight for the soul purpose of protecting Canada from Russia. :)

--

One thing, that there seems to be talk about is battleship bombardments and people building their cities five tiles in from the coast. There is talk that this harbour idea is meant to compensate for this dynamic.

Its not unknown in history. Rome is most famous, and one of the only cities in the world, Gaza, was a mile from the beach too. But these are exceptions and they are never really that far from the ocean.

Got a voucher inside e-mail from GMG -5% on Civ6 on top of already 20% discount for registered buyers.
Preordered the damned game.

Back
Top Bottom