Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
I'm surprised to hear they're scaling back the rpg elements in AC games. Didn't that and the better combat system actually reinvigorate the interest in the games? At least I thought so.
I think "the fans" dislike it because it's not like it used to be, but the games are more popular than ever in terms of sales - and even user reviews in many cases.

But it's hard to know these things for sure - with everything being so manipulated and divided.

I never really took to AC before Black Flag, which I think is the first one I sort of enjoyed - though only partially, and mostly because of how rare proper pirate games were at the time. It really felt like a modern Sid Meier's Pirates! - which was one of my favorite games in my youth.

But it wasn't until Origins that I started to enjoy AC much more, and I think Odyssey was better - and Valhalla better still.

Oh, they're far from perfect - but I certainly enjoyed the expanded RPG options.

I guess we'll need to see the game to know exactly what they do with it - but I hope it's not a general design direction for the franchise.

What "RPG elements" are they talking about anyway?

Uh, the first one would really hurt.

Pax West 2022 Mount And Blade 2 Bannerlord Developer Interview

PAX 2022 interview, Beamdog studios. Mythforce

We sat down with Beamdog COO Kael Nicholson and PROJECT DIRECTOR Luke Rideout to talk about their new game Mythforce which has been on Epic game store in Early access for a few months. We asked about their inspiration and their vision forward.
Dark Envoy Delayed & Lore Update #2
My chest tensed, and I realised that never before had I felt such disorientating numbness. The time has come. We are off to fight.

The man next to me looked composed, relaxed even. Maybe a few years my senior, face crossed with scars and burns. He must have been there before. He must have clashed with the League in the past. He came back for more.
Pentiment Small Preview Roundup

Eurogamer

This is all the stuff you can pick up off the surface of Pentiment, mixed in with the wonderful little dashes of texture - the way misspellings in speech bubbles get scribbled out pointedly, the little mutters under your breath, internal monologues, dodgy persuasion attempts gone wrong. The most obvious reference point must surely be Disco Elysium, another razor sharp, detective RPG talk-em-up, although at a glance Pentiment seems a touch lighter, both in terms of systems and the density of dialogue and thought. This game picks you up and carries you along with ease - much like a bit of good writing.
PCGamesN
Pentiment doesn’t do anything that’s obviously radical. It’s a cosy little narrative adventure game that feels like what it is: a passion project led by a proud history nerd. But it oozes professionalism and care like few other games I’ve played. It’s tempting to say that its modest ambition gives it the correct scope to get every decision right, but that’s a disservice. Pentiment’s attention to minute details proves that there’s scope to be ambitious about the small stuff too. It’s a harder sell than Starfield’s 1,000 planets, but it might be just as exciting.

Mortismal Gaming Check Out: Circus Electrique

Giving an overview of Circus Electrique a curious mix of turn based tactical game and circus management sim!
Remnant: From The Ashes 2 & Remnant 2 Trademarks Filed - Exputer
Remnant: From the Ashes is a unique mix of souls-like and action-RPG combined with third-person shooting. Yeah, it sounds weird, but the game delivers. It received positive reviews upon release and has sold more than three million copies worldwide.
Asterigos: Curse Of The Stars Demo Released - Steam
Embark on a journey full of danger in this action RPG, inspired by Greek and Roman mythologies. Explore the breathtaking city of Aphes and forge your way through legions of unique foes and mythical bosses to discover the truth behind the city’s curse.
Tencent Increases Ubisoft Stake - BluesNews
Tencent acquires a 49.9% economic stake with 5% voting rights in Guillemot Brothers Limited.

Tencent's investment in Guillemot Brothers Limited amounts to €300 million (€200 million share acquisition and €100 million capital increase), at an implied valuation for Ubisoft of 80€ per share.

In addition, Tencent is providing Guillemot Brothers Limited with a long-term unsecured loan to refinance its debt and provide additional financial resources that can be used to acquire equity in Ubisoft.

Guillemot Brothers Limited remains exclusively controlled by the Guillemot family. Tencent will not be represented on its Board of Directors and will not obtain any consent or veto rights over the business.
Cyberpunk 2077 Mod Tools - Steam
Download REDmod — the official Cyberpunk 2077 Modding Tools — to modify and create your own experiences in Cyberpunk 2077. From custom sounds, animations, scripts, and much more, these tools will help you leave your own mark in the dark future world of Night City.

Gothic 3 FINALLY Has The Chance To Be Completed

Steelrising Review – Soulslike Automaton Uprising Done Well

In this Steelrising Review, we will break down the highly-anticipated Soulslike Action RPG. This dystopian game about the domination of the Automats in the 1700s is not backing down. It features familiar and new gameplay mechanics that old and new Soulslike players will come to appreciate. But the real question remains – is this worth picking up on day 1?
IGN's Steelrising Video Review

Steelrising is a competent action RPG with an unforgettable setting, but it’s dragged down by its humdrum soulslike formula that doesn’t do anything to make its combat or exploration stand out. Despite having some memorable weapons and enemies, combat often feels imprecise or sloppy, and boss fights are largely forgettable. That said, even if the story is fairly straightforward, the recognizable faces from history you meet and the beautiful French vistas you find them can still help make fighting robots in an alternate history somewhat entertaining.
Steelrising Review - RPGSite
For all its other faults, Steelrising looks pretty nice, at least with high settings on the PC version. While I did run into a handful of visual glitches that'll hopefully be ironed out, the lightning details and textures are generally well done and well-suited for the art-style Steelrising exhibits. The facial animations are also considerably improved over Spiders' previous outings.

In concluding my time with Steelrising, I beat the final boss of Steelrising without realizing - at the time - that it was the final boss of the game. It felt like any of the other bosses I had faced, and the narrative afterward seemed to quickly push itself to a conclusion. I'm not sure if I somehow missed a 'real' final boss or something due some choices in-game - I don't think so - but the ending I got felt sudden and hurried.

I come away from Steelrising feeling satisfied but not enamored. It's an adequate foray into the Souls-like space, and it incorporates its own traversal gimmicks well enough, but lackluster quests, boss encounters, and level design hold it back from being an exceptional entry in the genre.

Pixel-art RPG Manafinder set to release on October 5 for PC - Steam

Fight your way against ferocious beasts and other threats in this turn-based RPG as you survive in a world vastly untapped by mankind! Become a manafinder and make hard choices as you seek a better life for both yourself and other exiles. Make use of weapons, magic, elemental ores, healing plants, and your loyal dog companion Scar as you embark on this 10-12 hour long quest!
PAX West 2022: The Last Hero Of Nostalgaia Preview - MMORPG
As I sat at the Thunderful booth at PAX West, the screen in front of me loaded into a simple, slider-based character creation screen. Sliders for skin color, age, body type - even endowment - were available to mess with, but they made zero difference on the character on screen. It doesn't help that the character I was creating was a nondescript stick figure, eager to take on the world around him.
PAX West 2022: Lost Eidolons Hands-On Preview - Hey Poor Player
All things considered, I was very happy with Lost Eidolons, and look forward to it coming to PC on October 13th. While I personally would love this on a portable system like Steam Deck or Nintendo Switch, I still think it’ll be a blast on PC and Xbox.
Choosing which version of Trails from Zero to buy is a Mess - RPGSite
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero finally receives its official English localization later this month on September 27. What should be the long-awaited release of the first entry in the Trails' series Crossbell Duology, however, feels like it might run the risk of being overshadowed by a set of discrepancies between the PC, Switch and PS4 versions of the game - and how NIS America has not done an adequate job of communicating these differences.
The Last Oricru Hands-on Preview (A Gothic Soulslike) - Wccftech
My takeaway from The Last Oricru is one of interest. I'm glad to see a game that isn't in an open world, but even then, the areas look large enough and offer some exploration. More interesting are the narrative options provided to the player and how all of these will play out. It feels like a AA "eurojank" game, which often adds to the charm. Thirteenth of October, we don't have long to wait, with GoldKnights now polishing what is already there. As I expected I would, I want to play it.

Pretty vague statement about the release date for Atomic Heart:

"Initially planned for 2022, the hectic and explosive Action-RPG is set to release this winter. Polishing and delivering a game of the highest quality is the priority of this talented team, with a specific launch date to be announced shortly. "

"This Winter" could theoretically mean December - but I think that's pretty naive at this point. If it's not delayed even more, I'd guestimate February at the earliest.

Something serious but also a little funny.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwxYiVXYyVs

Daddy is home again. :D
LOK I mean, of course.

Not that I'm expecting anything. The original team is long gone, and I don't think we'll ever have the same creative minds in the same room. Plus the voice actors.

EDIT: now that I think about, having the team behind the recent Tomb Raider games work on a new Legacy of Kain, could be pretty decent at least.

And if they do the work, it could be above average in terms of story.

Last edited:
Star Ocean: The Divine Force takes a look at Midas Felgreed and Nina Deforges

This character trailer focuses on Midas Felgreed, one of the most brilliant semiomancers and engineers in all of the Aucerian Kingdom. Although his thirst for knowledge often sees him forego laws and basic ethics, Midas is still a man of strong principle who always finishes what he starts.
This character trailer focuses on Nina Deforges. Nina is one of the few people in Aucerius who can wield healing magic known as iatrimancy. She tirelessly devotes herself to create a cure for the deadly disease that claimed her father's life.
Mortismal Gaming Steelrising - Five Essential Tips

Just sharing a few useful tips to get you off to a great start in Steelrising!
Fextralife's 10 Best Tips and Tricks I Wish I Knew Before Playing Steelrising

In this Steelrising Beginner Guide, we are going to discuss the tips and tricks of the Soulslike Action RPG to understand how the gameplay mechanics work and to thrive in combat. Steelrising is developed by Spiders, the same creators of the story-rich RPG, GreedFall
CD Projekt Financial Results and Current Projects - Gamebanshee
With a new The Witcher game in the works and Cyberpunk 2077 once again hitting the headlines, we get a fresh CD Projekt earnings report that goes over the studio's current and future projects.
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Preview - IGN
All this paints a picture of an RPG battle system that’s as tactically rich as a dedicated strategy game, and there’s still plenty more to discover beyond this (including that enemies can use Momentum, too, and have unique methods of building it). But while Warhammer 40k’s tagline may threaten that there’s “only war”, Rogue Trader is about much more than battle. Combat is, at least to me, the least interesting thing about a Warhammer RPG. What of the worlds we’ll visit? The allies we’ll make? The fine line between puritan and heresy that will no doubt see our own companions tear each other apart? That’s the stuff I’m desperate to see. It’s also, unfortunately, not the easiest thing to show at a busy games convention, hence the Gamescom demo being combat focused. But, if the adventure and narrative side of Rogue Trader has as much promise as its battle system does, then Owlcat’s hands appear to be an incredibly safe place for Games Workshop’s ocean-deep sci-fi universe to be.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk Back to the Futon DLC Releases in October

Indie developer Artefacts Studio in partnership with Dear Villagers have revealed the third and final expansion of their hit RPG “The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos” with B”ack to the Futon”, coming to PC on October 3rd and Xbox consoles, PlayStation platforms, and Switch on October 13th for $14.99/ €14,99/ £11.39.
Focus Entertainment to publish first-person action RPG Atomic Heart - RPGSite
Focus Entertainment has announced [PDF] a partnership with Russian studio Mundfish to publish Atomic Heart, set to release for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC (Steam).

Atomic Heart has been in development for several years now, having been originally teased in 2017. No specific release date has been announced other than a window of 'this Winter', but Focus states a launch date will be announced soon.
Songs of Conquest Upcoming AI Improvements - Steam
We've been quiet for a while as the team has enjoyed their Swedish summer vacations. But, since a few weeks back the team is now hard at work again. And we are soon to drop some news and updates for you. Starting right now we would like to introduce you to the upcoming AI improvements. Some of these improvements are already live on our internal development branch, however, AI improvements are an ongoing process, rather than just one update!
New screenshots for Fallout 4 New Vegas - DSO
The team behind the Fallout 4 New Vegas project has released a new set of screenshots for it. These screenshots showcase some of the recreated environments that players will explore.

Last edited:
A Plague Tale: Requiem Hands-on Preview Small Roundup
Atlas Fallen Now Targeting Spring 2023 Launch After Slight Delay - Wccftech
Focus Home Entertainment announced a slight delay for Atlas Fallen, the action RPG unveiled at Gamescom 2022 to be in development at German studio Deck13 Interactive.

So question do you watchers prefer my old linking or the newer article version like above?

Back
Top Bottom