Couchpotato's Random RPG News

Does Anyone Read This Thread for News?

• Yes

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
What Cyberpunk 2077's Resurgence Means For CDPR's Future - Gamerant
Initially, the developer was going to double-down on the beloved Witcher franchise in response to Cyberpunk 2077's less-than-ideal launch, and with a whole new saga on the way, it seemed as if players could be in for many years of Witcher content over any new series or standalone titles. The Witcher franchise still feels like safer ground, especially considering the popular reception of the last mainline installment, but Cyberpunk 2077's change in fortunes could mean that CD Projekt Red rethinks this approach.
Tencent is ‘aggressively seeking’ full game company acquisitions - VGC
Chinese gaming giant Tencent is reportedly switching its acquisition strategy and “aggressively seeking” to own majority or controlling stakes in overseas game companies.

That’s according to a new report from Reuters, which claims that the conglomerate is putting more focus on buying companies outright, following years of investing in minority stakes, as it attempts to offset slowing growth at home in China.
Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn a more approachable, cinematic soulslike - PCGamer
I really like the look of Flintlock, despite it being pretty far from my usual game of choice. A44 has done a lovely job of making the game look rhythmic and flowing, and the concept of taking a Soulslike and making it accessible across difficulty options is massively appealing to me. While I'm unsure if the narrative will hook me in, the combat alone looks satisfying enough to lure me into this strange fantasy world.
New Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod overhauls over 125 NPCs - Nexus
Provides unique, vanilla-friendly, high poly appearance overhauls for 125 male and female NPCs (and one werewolf), mostly in Vanilla Skyrim but there are a few in Hearthfire, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn. I started replacing NPCs where I had an idea in my head for what they could look like, and originally this was going to be maybe 25 or so of my favorite NPCs, but things got out of hand. There are many NPC replacers out there of course, maybe you don't need another one, or maybe there's a little something in this one you'd like to try.

Gamedec: Definitive Edition Available - Steam

Explore the virtual worlds once again! Gamedec – Definitive Edition brings a fresh look to the current-existing cases! First, players can immerse themselves in the world based on Seven: The Days Long Gone, the game released in 2017 by Fool’s Theory and IMGN.PRO. The case is completely readable to those who played neither of these games, thus offer a mouthful of additional flavor to those who did. Expect the brand new virtualium and even more challenging NPCs.
Fextralife's Top RPG News pf the Week

Nier Automata Anime Adaptation, Gotham Knight Story Playthrough, Midnight Suns Magik, Sea Horizon Turn-Based Roguelite, Fortnite Meets Monster Hunter EA's Wild Hearts, Darkest Dungeon 2 Update, End of Life to Google's Stadia, World of Warcraft Dragonflight Release Date on this week of Top RPG News October 02, 2022
Mortismal Gaming Neverwinter Nights 2 - First Impressions

Talking a bit about my initial experiences with Neverwinter Nights 2 after jumping into it for the first time!

Broken Ranks - Official Discover Valdarog Update Trailer

Enjoy the launch trailer for the September update to Whitemoon Games' new free-to-play, old-school-Baldur's-Gate-inspired MMORPG for PC, Broken Ranks. In this update, you'll take on the frost dragon Valdarog.
Dungeons of the Amber Griffin Music Game Mode

We invite you to watch the gameplay from the game. We present a new music game mode, in which there will be locations specially prepared for specific music. At the end of the game, there will be a count of the number of killed monsters. You will also be able to unlock interesting items that you can use in other game modes.
Gloomhaven: Solo Scenarios - Mercenary Challenges DLC Available
The Solo Scenarios: Mercenary Challenges DLC is the digital adaptation of the Solo Scenarios board game expansion for Gloomhaven, the critically acclaimed Tactical RPG. Face 17 new carefully crafted missions by Isaac Childres, designer of the Gloomhaven Board Game. Each scenario comes with its own unique reward. There is a twist however, you can only complete each mission with its specific mercenary!
Sovereign Syndicate - Demos, Trailers, and Gamescom
Hi Everyone! It’s been a busy month here at Crimson Herring, and I wanted to take some time to share everything we’ve been working on.

We completed our recent playtest and incorporated all of your great feedback into the demo we launched at Gamescom. We’ve had thousands of players download and play the playtest and demo over the last couple of months, and we continue to get great feedback to help make the game even better.

Launching our Demo and participating in Gamescom and Devcom was a great experience and generated some media coverage for the game as well. I always enjoy watching content creators play our game and the comments and engagement from the audience. If you haven’t had the chance to play our demo yet you can download it for free on our Steam page.
Zoria: Age of Shattering - Dev Diary #5 – Combat in Zoria
In today's Dev Diary, we'll cover what many tactical RPG fans like best: combat. We designed it to be dynamic, fluid, and inviting to engage. But how did we achieve that? Enjoy the read below!

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Why The Console Version Won't Be Fixed

We recently learned exactly why Owlcat Games has ceased updates to Pathfinder Kingmaker - They don't own it anymore.
Valkyrie Elysium Review - The Final Verdict

This entry to the Valkyrie series makes a graceful shift into the action RPG genre while only stumbling in a few small ways.
Fallout: London - Standalone Releaser Trailer

This video was made to go alongside our Standalone Releaser pack. This pack includes all of Fallout London's standalone releases available through a short quest and new merchant - Nick the Fence.

The Elder Scrolls Online Legacy of the Bretons Autumn Event

Tune in to the Legacy of the Bretons Autumn Event livestream and you’ll learn about all the adventures and events coming to ESO through the end of the year!
Witcher 4's protagonist should be Dandelion - PCGamer
After losing a bit of clout thanks to Cyberpunk 2077's shaky launch and diminished post-release plans, CD Projekt Red is returning to the Continent and its much-beloved Witcher series. Multiple games are on the cards (opens in new tab), in fact, and the first one, which we're calling Witcher 4 (opens in new tab) but has yet to be officially named, is already in pre-production. It's still a bit of a mystery at the moment, and while we can probably expect more monster-slaying antics, I'm holding out hope for something a bit different. I want a bard RPG.
Knights of the Chalice 2 - New Feats and AI Dungeons
In the past month, I've been focusing on the implementation of new character feats: epic feats and standard feats. I've added 18 epic feats for characters that have reached level 20 and above, as well as 42 standard feats. I've also fixed a number of bugs and issues in the game.

Matt Chat 494: Monte Singman

Monte Singman is a game dev pro and entrepreneur. He's the CEO of Lemuria, a web3 game infrastructure and a decentralized publisher. He has nearly 40 years of experience in the game industry--Atari, Accolade, Capcom, Electronic Arts and Sony, just to name a few. Produced John Madden Football, Test Drive Off Road series, Street Fighter series, Looney Tunes Racing, Hello Kitty Roller Rescue and many other titles.
11 Great Games To Play After Elden Ring - That Aren't By FromSoftware

Elden Ring took over the gaming world in February this year, and the gaming lives of many people since. Now though, all these months later, it’s time to look for something else. Have you finally become the Elden Lord? Are you deep into a New Game + and looking for something to make you surface? Or have you bounced off it one too many times? Well fear not! Zoe Delahunty-Light is here to take you through 11 incredible games that should help you scratch that Elden Ring itch.
The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition spotted on Taiwanese Ratings Website
The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition has appeared on the Taiwan Entertainment Rating Software Information website, with PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and PC listed as platforms. The rating was first spotted by VGC, with Take-Two listed as the game's publisher.

Play Fallout 76 for Free - Fallout Website
In October of 1997, players first encountered Fallout’s post-nuclear world and its memorable characters, irradiated monstrosities, impactful conversations and stark reminders that war…war never changes.

25 years later, the Fallout series is a best-selling franchise that not only helped define PC role-playing games and spawned entries across multiple console generations, but also has made its way to tabletop games and even an upcoming television series. Join us as we ring in a milestone year for Fallout throughout the entire month of October!
Diablo 4 leak shows you’ll be able to skip the whole campaign - Techradar
Newly leaked screenshots of Diablo 4 suggest you’ll be able to skip the upcoming action RPG’s main campaign.

Following a massive leak that gave us our best looks at Diablo 4 yet, more screenshots of the game’s test build have appeared online. Uploaded to Imgur (opens in new tab) and spotted by GamesRadar (opens in new tab), the images show various sections of its character creation menu from the Russian language version of the RPG.

The character selection screen includes several optional toggles. When translated through Google, one of these buttons reads “Skip Campaign”.
Bandai Namco: "Elden Ring is just the beginning" - Gamesindustry
This year, our conversation with Bandai Namco Europe CEO Arnaud Muller at Gamescom felt like all of this is now coming together, underlined by the massive success across Western markets of Elden Ring.

The FromSoftware-developed hit is currently 2022's best-selling title across Europe, ahead of FIFA 22 or Pokémon Legends: Arceus. As of June 2022, it had sold 16.6 million units globally and is Bandai Namco's fastest-selling game of all time.

It took Elden Ring only three weeks to reach 12 million copies shifted. As a comparison, it took Dark Souls 3 over four years to sell ten million units.
Path of Exile AudioTeam Q&A - Grinding Gear Games
Want to know more about what goes into the music and sound effects of Path of Exile or how they're made? Our sound designers are keen to answer your questions, so we'll collect them from today's news post and present the answers sometime in the next few weeks! The intention of this Q&A is to give you an insight of the inner workings of the Audio Team, so if you have any specific questions like "How did you make the Gratuitous Violence blood pops sound so satisfying?", then now's your chance! We may not be able to go through every question with them, but we'll try to get as many of your questions answered as possible!

Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Why The Console Version Won't Be Fixed
That would explain it, I had no idea! Here's the correct Reddit link: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_Kingmaker/comments/xr5mbq/comment/iqvgowo/

The owner is apparently MY.GAMES, more details here (Game World Observer):

This can also be checked on gamesindustry.biz and on the Russian page of Wikipedia, but there is no mention of the rights to the IP.

Something funny I saw, the "Owlcat Games" trademark has been abandoned in March 2021.
EDIT: the link expires after a few minutes, but it can be searched here.

Last edited:
CRPG Gaming On Steam Deck

Just talking about the broad experience of playing CRPGs on the Steam Deck after finally acquiring one!
Zoria: Age of Shattering Gameplay (PC)

Zoria: Age of Shattering pc gameplay preview (no commentary). "A story-driven, party-based RPG with strong tactical elements, base and follower management that takes place in the expansive Fantasy world of Zoria, a world filled with magic, ancient history, tumultuous politics, and countless mysteries."
Sidescroller RPG Astlibra Revision launches on October 13th - Steam

Confront time and fate in the 2D action RPG, Astlibra Revision. Explore meticulously crafted worlds, fight brutal boss battles, and upgrade your skills to take down enemies lurking around every corner.
Norse RPG ATONE: Heart of the Elder Tree on PC in early 2023 - Steam

ATONE is a Norse mythology-inspired, hand-drawn game that blends interactive storytelling and complex puzzles with a rhythm game combat system. Inherit the role of a young warrior named Estra as she journeys through Midgard to unveil the truth behind her father’s death.

Together in Battle Updated Demo and New Trailer - Steam

Together in Battle is a strategy RPG and team management roguelite with vibrant procedurally generated characters and emergent relationship-building. Uncover a sinister conspiracy; fight deep turn-based tactical battles; deal with random events; watch your characters grow together.
Tri-Ace announces Huge losses and Decreased Earnings - RPGSite
tri-Ace, the development studio behind Valkyrie Profile and the Star Ocean series, is having a tough financial situation. Gamebiz, a Japanese news outlet focusing on the country's gaming industry, published an article based on tri-Ace's financial report for their previous fiscal year that ended in June 2022.
SKALD: Against the Black Priory Update - New Demo Launching
Preface: I’ve been crunching for too long and I’m very ready to take a day off. Forgive the typos! XOXO

Hang on to your helmets! This one’s going to be big! Holy crap these are exciting times. First of all, I finally get to reveal the new key art for the game.
SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - Developer Insight #2 Matters of Lore
Today we want to talk a bit about Lore as well as lore. As many of you have been eager to point out, the world of Eo has a rich and varied history and that is not made less complex by the first two games and their add-ons taking place on the world timeline after the third game, which is set pre-convocation. The Convocation of course being the cataclysmic event that shattered the world of Eo.

Dungeons of the Amber Griffin - Demo Available on Steam Next Festival 2022

We are very excited to finally present you with a playable demo of the game, available for free on Steam after a long hard work. Let us know how you like it and feel free to join us on discord to exchange experiences!
These other RPGs also have a demo this month.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory
Together in Battle
Zoria: Age of Shattering

Asterigos: Curse of the Stars Gameplay Overview Video

Publisher tinyBuild and developer Acme Gamestudio invite adventurers to the action-RPG world of Asterigos: Curse Of The Stars, launching this Tuesday, October 11th on PC, PlayStation 4 & 5, plus Xbox One and Series consoles. Prepare for the journey ahead now - see the treasures awaiting in the new gameplay overview trailer below, then venture into the depths of the Steam Next Fest; A playable demo lurks there on PC, enhanced with slicker combat, rebindable controls and a more dramatic boss battle finale.
A new version of The Outer Worlds has been rated - VGC
As spotted by VGC, the Taiwanese ratings board has classified a new edition of the game called ‘The Outer Worlds: Spacer’s Choice Edition’. The updated version of Obsidian’s sci-fi RPG is headed to current-gen consoles as well as PC, according to the ratings body.
New Tactics Ogre: Reborn PC Remaster Details and Screenshots
Sony will release all of its future first-party games on PC - DSO
In an interview with Julien Chièze, the head of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios, Hermen Hulst, shared some interesting details about their first-party games. According to Hulst, Sony plans to release its first-party GaaS games simultaneously on PC and PS5.

Depends on if I feel like it but usually I just share them. :rotfl:

Seriously though the short videos under 3-5 minutes sure longer ones I skip to parts that interest me. That's why chapter highlights in the video description are a godsend.

Marvel’s Midnight Suns Magik Gameplay Showcase

With Soulsword in hand and extraordinary teleportation abilities at her disposal, Lilith’s army better beware of Magik!
Marvel’s Midnight Suns Hero Spotlight - Meet Blade

Half-vampire. Half-human. All hero! Join Blade and the Midnight Suns when the game launches December 2!
Humblebundle - RPG Legends Bundle
Lose yourself in some of the most immersive, beloved, legendary PC role-playing experiences of all time. Rediscover a genre-defining saga in the Enhanced Editions of Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II. Return to the Forgotten Realms in Neverwinter Nights: Complete Adventures, featuring the classic RPG, all Enhanced Edition content, plus six DLC adventures. Embark on an epic journey in 2021’s acclaimed Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. Get the enhanced Planescape: Torment and more, and help support the charity of your choice!
RPG Stories has managed to raise over £65,000 - TheGG
The London-based (the UK) indie games developer Brave Alice are today very proud and happy to announce that their upcoming 3D world-builder/virtual tabletop/RPG “RPG Stories”, has just managed to raise over £65,000 in total via Kickstarter! (the initial goal was £20,600)
Disco Elysium’s World Was Meant to Be Much Bigger - Exputer
In another episode of Capitalism ruining that thing you love, recently the key leads behind 2019’s masterpiece “Disco Elysium” were forced out of Za/Um. A few days ago, Martin Luiga posted the news on his Twitter which was later confirmed by Aleksander Rostov, the art director for Disco Elysium.

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon - 26 Minutes of Gameplay

Watch as one of the developers behind the upcoming first-person open-world RPG Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon walks you through 26 minutes of gameplay. It is in development for PC.
WH40k: Rogue Trader - First Hints At The Plot

Owlcat Games is officially teasing a plot reveal about their upcoming Rogue Trader title. Discussing the hints and throwing out a few theories of my own.
Star Ocean: The Divine Force Mission Report #5: The Final Report

Star Ocean: The Divine Force is due out for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam on October 27 worldwide. A demo is available now.

That Exputer article is garbage. That quote does not in any way mean that the game Disco Elysium was "meant to be much bigger". That is not what Luiga said, at all.

Reading comprehension is at an historic low. Especially when the reader in question can't wait to post an article.

Auto Fire: Testing out turn execution changes in the Arena

This was an experiment designed to refine the driving feel of the game. When you attack in the original turn model, the game halts long enough for projectiles to hit, then it resumes to update the vehicle positions. That sort of turn resolution is pretty common in turn-based tactical games, because it lets you see the results of your attack or incoming attacks and process the result. However, pausing the driving experience was bugging me, especially when there are a lot of enemies nearby.
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Release Plans - Steam
Greetings warriors of Calradia! August and September have been exciting months - Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord finally got its release date (October 25th), pre-orders opened for consoles and many of you came to say Hi at Gamescom and Pax.
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr Coming to Next-gen Consoles

System Shock Remake is most likely delayed until March 2023 - DSO
It appears that System Shock Remake will be most likely delayed to March 2023. This comes straight from its official Steam store page which now lists this new release date. Prime Matter was originally planning to release this game in 2022. However, it’s been almost a year since that announcement and we still don’t have an ETA on when the game will come out. And, since the Steam store page was updated a few hours ago, we can assume that the game will miss its 2022 release window.
Guild Wars 2 Fall and Winter 2022 Roadmap
Greetings, Guild Wars 2 community! Following our previous summer roadmap, we’d like to give you a high-level look at our plans for Guild Wars 2 for the remainder of the year.
Bandai Namco acquires majority stake in Limbic Entertainment - Gematsu
Following its minority stake acquisition of Limbic Entertainment in December 2020, Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe has increased its investment and acquired a majority stake in the German developer, the company announced. The acquisition will enable Limbic Entertainment to take full advantage of Bandai Namco’s back office, and publishing and distribution expertise.

Platinum CEO breaks silence on Babylon’s Fall closure - VGC
Speaking to VGC in a new interview, PlatinumGames CEO Atsushi Inaba commented publicly for the first time since the closure news, stating that the developer was “extremely sorry” for any disappointment it might have caused its fans.
What Forspoken Can Learn from Final Fantasy XV - Gamerant
Forspoken has been hotly anticipated, though it has seen a few delays. It is currently slated for an early 2023 release, and hopefully the long wait will be worth it. The game shows potential thanks to the strong team behind it, though some gamers are still apprehensive about whether Luminous Productions will be able to pull off its ambitious project.
CD Projekt Red Hundreds of Developers on Cyberpunk: Orion - IGN
CD Projekt Red appears to be ramping up its development capabilities in a big way as it prepares for Cyberpunk 2077's sequel, codenamed Orion, as it looks to create a new studio and put hundreds of staff on the project. Speaking during an investors' call after announcing Orion alongside several Witcher games, CD Projekt Red CFO Piotr Nielubowicz said he expects 350 to 500 developers will be necessary to create the game. It's also creating a brand new, primarily Boston-based studio for Orion, which will combine with its current Vancouver office and be known as CD Projekt Red North America.

Back
Top Bottom