CRPG Addict blog

Perhaps if he didnt have a job or any kind of life, and could literally devote his entire days and nights to this grand quest he could do it. Otherwise, there's just no way.

Exactly, and even if he didn't have to work, sleep, eat, maintain house/relationship, etc. he still would not accomplish this. I just wonder how long it's going to take him to realize it.

Well, as he is already more than 20 games in, looks like some of us are already wrong. I can see him completing this and putting the blogs together as a book that you guys just might end up buying. There is a market for such things after all.

Well, as he is already more than 20 games in, looks like some of us are already wrong. I can see him completing this and putting the blogs together as a book that you guys just might end up buying. There is a market for such things after all.

Certainly, there's a market for everything - more or less.

But in my world, games are meant to be played as a firsthand experience - and I tend to play games that entertain me, than rather as a compulsion. But I've been there, as well, so I know what the price can potentially be.

I'm not going to claim I know what's best for some stranger, but according to his own tale - his family already expressed a strong dissatisfaction due to him spending so much time away from them. Then he decides to basically neglect them completely, because he wants to play every single PC RPG ever made?

That's called a compulsion, and I'd personally call it a result of a mental disorder that can only damage his relation to his family. I think of a family of one's own making, as something that carries with it an obligation.

He put it out there for others to read about and respond to, so that's what I'm doing.

I can't possibly see this "project" in a positive light, but whatever floats your boat.

I just realized that I originally misunderstood what this guy is doing.

At first I thought this guy was claiming to be doing full playthroughs of all the games, but now I realize that isn't the case. It seems that "playing" any given title might consist of simply checking it out for a few hours.

For instance, his play of Wizardry III consisted of -

Party slaughtered on Level 2, created new party, party slaughtered again. Had enough with limited-save, permanent-death games. On to Phantasie.

Not impressed….

That's called a compulsion, and I'd personally call it a result of a mental disorder that can only damage his relation to his family. I think of a family of one's own making, as something that carries with it an obligation.

Reminds me of an old roommate I had. He had what is referred to as an addictive personality. Didn't matter what it was, he got addicted, alcohol (5 DWI's in one year), EverQuest (quit his job and pulled all his money out of his 401k to play full-time, etc. Very sad.

Since 1982 I have played ca. 160 western style crpgs (C64, Amiga, PC)and a few eastern ones; many of them more than once.

160x100 hours / 12 = ca. 1333 days of my life.
Working full time now I would need a lot of years to replay them again.

I'm addicted, too ;)

Simply trying every RPG out there to see what's good seems like a decent idea to me. I don't have time to do it, but I wouldn't mind doing it if I did have the time.

Chronology of computer role-playing games
This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.

Ooooooops........

Acctually he writes he'll play a minimum of six hours for each game... so it won't take thaaat long. I think it is fair there are some roguelike games which none has ever completed.. so it would be close to impossible if he had to complete everyone.

Since 1982 I have played ca. 160 western style crpgs (C64, Amiga, PC)and a few eastern ones; many of them more than once.

160x100 hours / 12 = ca. 1333 days of my life.
Working full time now I would need a lot of years to replay them again.

I'm addicted, too ;)

More like 1337 hours, amirite? ;)

Computer gaming is a part of my life, a biiiiig part. I like card and board games, too.

Maybe I am a 1337 gamer, but I like games most that make me feel like a n00b gamer again. I like challenging interesting games. I think this is the reason why I like rpgs the most. Start as an absolute beginner, build up your character/party, face the challenges ahead and try to be successful in the end. :)

What the hell I never expected you guys to be so judgementall. For heavens' sake we are all rpg gamers. We should cheer when someone has time and energy to try something grand like that. It is his life, not ours. Gaming is his hobby and while he has a job and a family I'd say he is quite normal.

What the hell I never expected you guys to be so judgementall. For heavens' sake we are all rpg gamers. We should cheer when someone has time and energy to try something grand like that. It is his life, not ours. Gaming is his hobby and while he has a job and a family I'd say he is quite normal.

+1

Plus he's doing Moebius. You don't see too many people posting about that game. If he passes that game I'll send him a cookie. I loved moebius when it came out. It had a cool new way to battle your enemies (it's like Street Fighter way before Street Fighter was even a glint in some programmers eye). After awhile the game gets really difficult and tedious. Even with that said, I remember that game fondly when I played it when I was a kid.

I want to see if he's able to beat Wizardry 4 without cheating. That game is just cruel. It's fun for awhile, but it's definitely not for the feint of heart.

This will end in divorce.

Actually, I picture this guy a couple of years from now walking down the street, dirty, unshaven, disheveled dragging around a shopping cart full of PC games.

I want to see if he's able to beat Wizardry 4 without cheating. That game is just cruel. It's fun for awhile, but it's definitely not for the feint of heart.

Considering that he gave up on Wiz 3 on the 2nd level, I'd say it's highly unlikely that he plays Wiz 4 for very long.

Considering that he gave up on Wiz 3 on the 2nd level, I'd say it's highly unlikely that he plays Wiz 4 for very long.

Won´t get from the starting 2x2 room.
Anyway, if he persists and proceeds in, uh, sane manner, he might end up with a great basis for a book even if he leaves majority of games after an hour or two.

Id like to play most classics and good rpgs but its very slow even if you cheat. I did manage to pull through wizardry 1-4. Think i ll skip 5 and go straight to 6 though.

But as they say even if you have personal library it doesnt mean you have to read every book in it.

This will end in divorce.

Well, there was a post in his blog saying he couldn't play because he went on a business trip and it had lots of girls......... I am still trying to figure out if he was kidding or not.... either way that doesn't sound too good for his marriage either....

Back
Top Bottom