DA: Inquisition - Free on Epic Games

Good game to get for free if you haven't already played it.
Unlike a lot of people I really enjoyed Inquisition.

Also liked it a lot till character development completely broke in late game and made all encounters irrelevant. To be concrete, my tanking character became invulnerable, not even dragons were able to make damage. Stopped playing soon after this.

Not bad but freebies like this always feel like a slap to the face of those who bought the game, and all it's DLC already. Wonder if this was EA or BioWare desicion.

Just remember to leave the first zone to advance the plot.

Well that's the trick really. You give the base game for free to people that would have never bought it at this point, and hope they will buy the DLC to have the complete experience, netting them more money that if they had never given it for free in the first place.

Not everyone falls for it, probably small percent do, but it's still clever marketing. Not like anyone's going to complain about free stuff anyway.

In this case they are not giving for free just the base game but the Game of the Year edition, which includes:
• Base game
• Flames of the Inquisition Arsenal, Armor, and Armored Mount
• Dragon Age multiplayer Deluxe Edition chests
• Skyhold Throne, Red Hart Halla and Bog Unicorn
• Jaws of Hakkon DLC Pack
• The Descent DLC Pack
• Trespasser DLC Pack
• Spoils of the Avvar: 5 new mounts, 2 new sets of armor, and new options to personalize your base at Skyhold.
• Spoils of the Qunari: An armored war mount, new armor sets — including 1 in the style of the Arishok — and Skyhold items.
They are probably doing it to hook newcomers into the franchise so they will buy the upcoming Dragon Age: Dreadwolf.

The epic store webpage has all the details it's the GOTY version.

Anyway yeah it's a PR move to get ready for Dreadwolf.

In this case they are not giving for free just the base game but the Game of the Year edition, which includes:
I don't think anyone was confused about that. It does say "Game of the Year Edition" in large bold letters right at the top of the page. ;)

One day I might play more than an hour of one of these games.
Does this one suffer if you haven't played the previous ones?
Choices you made in DA:O and DA2 can be imported into DA:I, but I can't speak to how much impact they have since I've never played beyond the first area. DA:I didn't grab me at all.

I'd recommend starting with DA:O anyways since it's generally considered the best one.

I forgot how many times i finished this one, very good game if you ignore the mmo crap.

I played this 2-3 times already, but didn't have all the DLC and since its free, why not. So added to my Epic games library. Not sure I'd replay anytme soon...parts of the game were super tedious (like those tiresome dragon fights and collecting shards etc - optional I know, but like a drug for completionists). And respawns. All those respawns...especially bears. As our old friend Joxer would always remind us. Our of curiosity: is thee a way to dramatically decrease respawn rates? That totally screwed up immersion for me and was irritating to boot.

Well that's the trick really. You give the base game for free to people that would have never bought it at this point, and hope they will buy the DLC to have the complete experience, netting them more money that if they had never given it for free in the first place.

Not everyone falls for it, probably small percent do, but it's still clever marketing. Not like anyone's going to complain about free stuff anyway.

It makes a lot of sense to do, since once the initial sales rush for a game has slowed to a trickle after a few years it provides a means to get more people interested enough in the game to spur further sales via DLC. Games have a pretty short shelf life after all (for the most part). And if you get the game for free, and enjoy it enough to buy the DLC, that's a "win-win" for all concerned.

Honestly, I think all 3 deserve to be played. I preferred Origins by far, but Inquisition was a good game, and even the second one was fine. If someone has never played these, I think they're missing out.

Back
Top Bottom