Darkest Dungeon 2 - Interview @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer talked with Red Hook co-founder and creative director Chris Bourassa about Darkest Dungeon 2:

Darkest Dungeon 2 charts a new path through terror in a roguelike road trip to save humanity

The world is dying. Tendrils of darkness crawl across the land, swallowing up everything but the battered road ahead and your flickering torch, the world's last hope for salvation. The apocalypse has arrived--but if that sounds bleak, you've probably never played Darkest Dungeon.

"The first Darkest Dungeon, the further you go down, the worse and worse and worse it gets," says Red Hook co-founder and creative director Chris Bourassa. Chris is about to convince me that this game about the end of the world, full of lost souls and horrifying monsters, is actually about hope. Darkest Dungeon 2 is a road trip, a roguelike mash-up of Darkest Dungeon and The Oregon Trail about clawing your way out of the darkness, rather than descending ever deeper into it.

[...]
Thanks MAHak!

More information.

I'm a bit worried about the whole save-the-whole-world-from-the-ultimate-evil thing.

Somehow games where you start out as some insignificant lvl. 1 no-body in some peasant village, and during the course of the game grows powerful enough to, more or less, single-handedly destroy some evil god who has been plaguing the world since time immemorial, is not a winning formula in my book.

I'm not a fan or roguelikes in general but still appreciated the grim setting and art - and the combat was pretty darn good. I wish someone would take a game like this and marry it with a deep rpg/narrative quest-driven game.

Back
Top Bottom