Diablo 4 Design Discussions

I played a Druid up to level 8, but I found the Beta more frustrating than fun tbh. Disconnects, quests not updating, areas not loading, etc. I wanted to play further but finally gave up after hitting yet another invisible barrier because an area wouldn't load.

It actually helps if you restart windows before you play to get nice fresh ram.

Yeah, one time I had that invisible barrier thing where it sort of went dead and wouldn't load in to any new areas. If I tried to TP id get a long loading screen then be back where I started. I think situations like that should have ended with a timeout and disconnect but it must be trying to reconnect some multiplayer thing and bugging out.

Played yesterday rogue to lvl23. Plays nice. Only had issues with random disconnections.

I didn't play Diablo for more than 20 years as I didn't like D2 as D1. This one also does not have that great vibe from D1, but gameplay is more like first part.
Also at beginning I was confused how to change weapons from melee to ranged, just to comply with idea that you do not use weapons, but skills that use different weapons.
I addapted real quickly and it was nice after that.

I usually look at some twitch streams to get a sense of an online game if I'm curious about it. After doing so, I'm still unsure on what to think about D4. Most channels I skimmed over just had players rushing to world event locations for easy/better loot.

Played yesterday rogue to lvl23.
You did that in 1 day?
I didn't play Diablo for more than 20 years as I didn't like D2 as D1. This one also does not have that great vibe from D1, but gameplay is more like first part.
I think the vibe/atmosphere is fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of D2 or D3, but I think I could get into this despite not usually liking games of this style.

The release date is unfortunate for me though with all the games I already plan on playing this year. I might not play this until next year.

You did that in 1 day?
I had a series of fortunate events. I have 3 kids, oldest 7, and they were on 2 birthdays where they went with my wife, and I was left home because I have flu.
So I used that time as best as I could.
It was a bit edgy today but I survived without divorce. :)

Today i finished the game and died only once on easy. That instakill on last boss.
For act1 I am satisfied.
If I will buy it, i am not sure as I get too involved in this type of games (as seen) and I do not have time (backlog...) and blizzard never has good discounts.

From what i understand for the druid to be decent you need the legendary that that double ups the shill that crushes enemies between two rocks.

From what I have been told the tiers of classes:

A: Necromancer then Sorcerer
B:
C: Rogue
D: Barbarian
E: Druid

I have a necromancer and barb both at level 25. Barbs kills the world boss with 30 seconds to spare and the necromancer has 7 minutes to spare. Read that how you will.

Druid has lots of good options. Early on I really liked Pulverize with the 100% overpower chance with Shred to close the distance and lightning melee attack to apply vulnerable. Eventually I ended up keeping the lighting melee but going all storm skills. Tried both lightning and tornados. I tried earth really early on and didn't like the slow cast speed, but I can see the damage on Landslide gets pretty good.

You really can't tell much about class tiers from the first 25 levels. But If we want to call it "easy start" tiers it would probably go like

A. Necro and Sorc
B. Rogue
C. Barb and druid

But, even then, I wouldn't put too much weight on that. Necro is clearly off to the best start because he has his class power that summons 4 skeletons before any other classes have unlocked the bars. Meanwhile, druid never gets his class power in the beta. Necro even gets his golem at 25 in the beta.

But it's literally only a few minutes before everyone gets a core skill. This is where some options seem a bit weak until you find a legendary aspect for them. But it's a good chance to give them all a try before level 15 while respec is free.

Did you solo the world boss or something? I only got a chance to fight it once and I was storm druid with lightning at the time which worked pretty well. Died maybe 5 times until I learned the fight better but there were a lot of people there. Got 7 legendary drops. :)

I played druid and sorcerer a bit past the prologue (level 9 I think) using the harder difficulty and found the game far too easy. Does the difficulty spike up later?

At least until where I ended, I had no issues with the druid. Just spamming the attack button killed anything on my way too quick.

Nah, it's pretty easy the whole beta. There might be some challenge in end-game events, Helltides and such. There's a good chance of dying on a world boss. :)

Nah, it's pretty easy the whole beta. There might be some challenge in end-game events, Helltides and such. There's a good chance of dying on a world boss. :)
I think it's poor optimisation if only world bosses offer challenge. Hopefully they'll improve it. Wading though the hordes of enemies and only having to spam the attack button gets boring over time.

I was way more focused on comparing skill builds. I think if I couldn't respec I'd have been much more bored. I do a couple of dungeons then respec and try new skills with the main goal to decide what I want to play at launch.

I think the winner is probably Rogue. I started with rogue and I'm ending with Rogue. Forget about E-celeb Streamers and youtube clickbait, forget about reading other forums. I've got all 5 classes to level 25 and I'll tell you Rogue is the best!

I've had a look around various D4 forums like the official blizzard and the sub-reddit and they're all really noisy about how OP Sorc and Necro are. Some people say Barb sucks, other say hes good, some say Druid sucks, others say he's good. But I feel like rogue gets overlooked. Hidden in the shadows!

It seems barb and druid rely a lot on cc abilities to increase damage.

Druid you need the double landslide legendary for it to be really effective.
Druid has lots of good options. Early on I really liked Pulverize with the 100% overpower chance with Shred to close the distance and lightning melee attack to apply vulnerable. Eventually I ended up keeping the lighting melee but going all storm skills. Tried both lightning and tornados. I tried earth really early on and didn't like the slow cast speed, but I can see the damage on Landslide gets pretty good.

You really can't tell much about class tiers from the first 25 levels. But If we want to call it "easy start" tiers it would probably go like

A. Necro and Sorc
B. Rogue
C. Barb and druid

But, even then, I wouldn't put too much weight on that. Necro is clearly off to the best start because he has his class power that summons 4 skeletons before any other classes have unlocked the bars. Meanwhile, druid never gets his class power in the beta. Necro even gets his golem at 25 in the beta.

But it's literally only a few minutes before everyone gets a core skill. This is where some options seem a bit weak until you find a legendary aspect for them. But it's a good chance to give them all a try before level 15 while respec is free.

Did you solo the world boss or something? I only got a chance to fight it once and I was storm druid with lightning at the time which worked pretty well. Died maybe 5 times until I learned the fight better but there were a lot of people there. Got 7 legendary drops. :)
I fought with generally 8 people out of 12 i believe each time. TBF i had the legendary to summon 2 more mages. I was also in thorns build on my barb which is bad for world bosses because you are trying NOT to get hit.

I played druid and sorcerer a bit past the prologue (level 9 I think) using the harder difficulty and found the game far too easy. Does the difficulty spike up later?

At least until where I ended, I had no issues with the druid. Just spamming the attack button killed anything on my way too quick.
I'm at level 11 with a Druid also on Veteran, and yeah, it's pretty easy except for some bosses. I finally got killed by some woman who keeps summoning waves of demons.

I have to say I like my difficulty a little more consistent than this. I'm not a fan of games that are easy 95% of the time and then spike dramatically at certain points.

that's how D3 was, so I wouldn't get your hopes up
I suppose you're right. That's how WoW was too as far as I remember. It will get more varied when one hits higher levels, though. I think then only spamming attack button should lead to certain death. We'll see...

The open Beta period was much too short. I forgot it was only until today. I went to log back in and realized it's already over. :(
That's a good sign ;) I also weirdly miss the game. Blizzard has plenty of issues but one has to give it to them: they can make addictive games.

I'm at level 11 with a Druid also on Veteran, and yeah, it's pretty easy except for some bosses. I finally got killed by some woman who keeps summoning waves of demons.

I have to say I like my difficulty a little more consistent than this. I'm not a fan of games that are easy 95% of the time and then spike dramatically at certain points.
I also ended my run to that woman (didn't realise the open beta continued on Monday when I wrote my comment on Sunday). My impression didn't change. The game is too easy even on Veteran, although the woman was sufficiently challenging. I maxed Storm Strike and started maxing Shred as I remembered that in these types of games it's best to max one skill at the time. Storm Strike was the basic attack that did AoE and took care of the mobs. Shred a more focussed attack that did sufficient damage to bosses. Didn't die a single time using druid with that combo. I think Shred started healing my character after I picked enhanced version. Other classes must be far too easy if druid was the hardest class to play. Perhaps it gets more difficult later on.

Back
Top Bottom