Diablo III refund.

Yeah, letting people wait for these vital fixes until whenever the next maintenance is required (could be weeks) would be much smarter :)

You can't switch active servers on the fly with changes of this nature, as we're not talking about hotfixes or minor changes.

Again, it would be like applying a major patch to a singleplayer game while playing. No other online-only game I've played has managed to circumvent this issue, so I'd find something a bit more reasonable to bitch about.

Wow, that's a convincing argument, especially coming from you ;)

We're not talking about whether it's actually possible - but whether it's reasonable to expect.

So you agree it is possible? It isn't that hard, but at least you retracted from your previous lack of understanding. There may be hope for you yet. ;)

So you agree it's not reasonable? It's quite hard, but at least you retracted from your previous lack of understanding. There's not much hope for you, though :)

Why are we talking about "critical online applications"? I'm talking about Diablo 3.

Can you name another game with a similar server infrastructure and database dependency that does major updates to client and server without downtime?

If your opinions are informed - and mine are misinformed, then that's one hell of a compliment you just gave me - thank you ;)

Neither Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2 bring down servers for patches. They use streaming to update the compressed dat file on the fly. There are sometimes very small "build" updates that require you to log out, but there's no time limit on when you must do so.

True, they're very unique in that way. No other MMO does that, AFAIK. In fact, ArenaNet likes to bring this up constantly as a point of pride.

I'd say it's a clear sign of how hard it actually is.

Well, it's at least 8 year old technology at this point. So, even it was once difficult to achieve, nothing beyond complacency now preserves the modus operandi of taking a server farm online every week explicitly for patching.

It's older that 8 year technology. Critical real-time systems have been doing it for decades... Not to mention cloud computing, of course. There's no excuse for Blizzard not to do it except laziness and complacency. Just like the rest of the game design, apparently...

Yeah, all modern MMO developers are just lazy - except ArenaNet.

Let's take any technical feature of any single game, and call all those who don't have that feature lazy by default. They can do it with Guild Wars - and so everyone else can easily do it with their game - regardless of how they built it.

Yeah, I'm clearly the uninformed one around here ;)

That said, Diablo 3 game design is indeed incompetent.

BTW, Guild Wars 2 is even more boring than Diablo 3 ;)

Clearly, their designers are just LAZY AND COMPLACENT!!!

Ok then ;)

Let me know when and where, and I'll tear that game apart!

j/k - I'm glad you like it.

If Blizzard designed for it ahead of time it would be easier, but not doing so doesn't preclude it. Of course, if you were not still trying to find your way out of your ass, you would know that. ;)

But more importantly, Blizzard didn't bother since it knows its rabid fans will buy anything.

I'm sorry, but you're not being very convincing with your baseless claims.

I have an idea, maybe if you made a reasonable statement - you might improve your chances.

It would have to be from inside your ass, naturally ;)

I am not willing nor have a desire to educate you in basic computer science and the application of availability theory to real world applications.

If you really cared to know the truth, rather than just arguing for arguing sake based on your need to push subjectivity, you would google and look it up yourself. But I know that's not the case. So I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom