Do you Play PC JRPGs?

Do You Play PC JRPGs?

• Yes

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 52.4%

• Total voters
ICO - I am not a fan of platformers, and while I might consider playing some of them, I like 3D platformers and Tomb-Raider-esque games even less

Shadowrun (Genesis) - I actually played that one, emulated on PC. But while it had some appeal I dropped playing it after just one hour or two. I think the controls were horrible. But dont exactly remember anymore.

Eternal Darkness - Fixed Cameras + 3rd person movement…ugh…

Red Dead Redemption - I might have given it a shot just for the setting. But it's not like I felt tempted to play any GTA title - except of the first.

Fable 2 - Played Fable 1 on PC. One of the few more "modern" RPGs I didn't finish. Not demanding/challenging enough, and I neither like the combat/controls, nor the "funny" world.

Ok…so, yeah, you got me. I actually played one of them (Shadowrun). And I might have considered another one if I was really bored (Red Dead Redemption).

ICO - I am not a fan of platformers, and while I might consider playing some of them, I like 3D platformers and Tomb-Raider-esque games even less

You sound like someone who knows absolutely nothing about the game, except that it's a platformer :)

Shadowrun (Genesis) - I actually played that one, emulated on PC. But while it had some appeal I dropped playing it after just one hour or two. I think the controls were horrible. But dont exactly remember anymore.

Obviously, I'm talking about playing it with a gamepad back when it was released.

Eternal Darkness - Fixed Cameras + 3rd person movement…ugh…

Also a fantastic story and setting. Truly a unique game ;)

Red Dead Redemption - I might have given it a shot just for the setting. But it's not like I felt tempted to play any GTA title - except of the first.

Again, you sound like someone who knows next to nothing about the game. It's true that it shares elements with GTA, but it's a lot better when it comes to weaving a tale and it has a positively amazing western setting so full of life. Such love went into that game, I can promise you that.

Fable 2 - Played Fable 1 on PC. One of the few more "modern" RPGs I didn't finish. Not demanding/challing enough, and I neither like the combat, nor the "funny" world.

Fable 2 is better in many ways, though I actually prefer the first game. But I think most people agree Fable 2 is the best one. It's got an endearing tale and a beautiful world full of secrets to explore.

Ok…so, yeah, you got me. I actually played one of them (Shadowrun). And I might have considered another one if I was really bored (Red Dead Redemption).

Those were just off the top of my head, there are many more - especially if we go back deeper in the past ;)

Do I play JRPGs? I voted no, but the real answer is more "not really".

I did play Dark Soul, Last Remnant and a few other PC ports. Also, I dabbled in a few Final Fantasy games (some on the PS of a friend, FFXIV and older stuff over emulation), but overall I'm a PC person so most of these games are not available to me.

Such is life and it is probably a good thing because my backlog would just be bigger than it is already.

Of course I have no deep knowledge about them - I never played them, or at least not by long. Never heard of ICO and Eternal Darkness before though.

In any case, none of these games is fitting my "profile".
I also dislike gamepads btw :p
Then again I also don't have a TV, nor a mobile phone. :p

I wouldn't say that a joystick on a C64 was the superior input device though.

So all in all, pre 90s consoles might have had a chance to convince me with a game. Since then they don't.

I am not not-playing console titles because I could never have had a console, but because in my eyes there isn't anything a console would be worth buying for.

The type of games I like are mostly either PC only or originating from PCs.

Of course I have no deep knowledge about them - I never played them, or at least not by long. Never heard of ICO and Eternal Darkness before though.

In any case, none of these games is fitting my "profile".
I also dislike gamepads btw :p
Then again I also don't have a TV, nor a mobile phone. :p

I wouldn't say that a joystick on a C64 was the superior input device though.

So all in all, pre 90s consoles might have had a chance to convince me with a game. Since then they don't.

I am not not-playing console titles because I could never have had a console, but because in my eyes there isn't anything a console would be worth buying for.

The type of games I like are mostly either PC only or originating from PCs.

All I'm saying is that you're missing out, and the reason you don't agree is that you don't actually know what you're missing.

Which is perfectly alright, I just like to see great games being played is all. Maybe it's a weakness :)

Kordanor, you always say the nicest things.

What on earth are you talking about? That's not anime. Could be some hentai material though you watched while was underaged.

I haven't watched that many, but:

Akira - tentacle monster
Princess Mononoke - tentacle monster
Spirited Away - tentacle monster
The Spirit Within - tentacle apocalypse

My theory is that if Japanese animated features don't culminate in a tentacled catastrophe, they riot in the cinemas. :biggrin:

All I'm saying is that you're missing out, and the reason you don't agree is that you don't actually know what you're missing.

Which is perfectly alright, I just like to see great games being played is all. Maybe it's a weakness :)

And isn't that the thing:
- If you've never played on console you've missed out.
- If you've ONLY played on console you've missed out
- If you never had a GameBoy / DS / PSP / PS Vita you've missed out
- If you've only played on one type of console (Nintendo/Sony/Sega/Microsoft) you've missed out

... and so on.

txa1265 is right, you always miss out one way or another. The only thing you have to ask yourself is: do you care or not?
You are missing a lot if you never played on a Nintendo console but if you don't like platformers and cute/happy graphics and gameplay centric games then you don't care at all (they are a few exceptions like Eternal Darkness but you get my drift).

My point is that you should think the other way around. Do you like JRPGs? Then yes you missed out a ton if you never owned a PS1 or PS2. Do you like platformers? Then why don't you buy a Nintendo console.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but it sounds like you're agreeing with me without really wanting to :)

I haven't watched that many, but:

Akira - tentacle monster
Princess Mononoke - tentacle monster
Spirited Away - tentacle monster
The Spirit Within - tentacle apocalypse

My theory is that if Japanese animated features don't culminate in a tentacled catastrophe, they riot in the cinemas. :biggrin:

Why are you watching silly mainstream eco-zealots stuff? Stop doing that!

Find this very moment Ghost in the Shell 2.0.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260502/

Where are tentacles in this mindblowing opening?

Where are tentacles in this mindblowing opening?

Ah, but that's the opening. I bet she's got tentacles by the end.

Don't remember if I watched 2.0, but the series was not that special.

I'm hoping for tentacles in neon genesis evangelion which I just started.

The only thing I like in jrpg is sometimes the different take on story and atmosphere. Beside the childish stuff the Japanese can pump out some crazy ass stories with their filthy imaginations

I feel sorry for gamers who claim that they've never owned a console system. They've missed out on a lot of good games over the years.
Nah, don't feel sorry. Missing out on a few good titles is well worth having this wonderful delusional feeling of being an untainted purebred specimen of the PC Master Race ;).

I hate the "funny" style of the art, which is also the reason why the only anime I like are the ones which are very serious and almost western drawing style (e.g. Ghost in the Shell, Jin-Roh). I need a setting which takes itself serious. Suspension of disbelief ist the right term here I guess. Something most anime and JRPGs are missing.
I also have a strong preference for a more realistic visual style. You mention Ghost in the Shell, which also happens to be one of my favourite Anime movies. I watched it many years ago and I remember enjoying the tank scene very much.

I particularly liked the constrast of short high paced action bits with longer tranquil actionless moments in between. Also, I remember very well the pleasant feeling that the music created as it remains very serene at all times with a slightly sad undertone, which might generate some cognitive dissonance considering the action but it made perfect sense (IMO) when considering the larger picture of what is happening at that moment in the film.

There are no tentacles in GitS (2.0 is just repolished/remastered version of the original with some new animations, but the story is intact) nor in Evangelion.

However, I'm warning anyone who'll risk Evangelion series - it's specific storytelling style is something you've never seen before and is very hard to watch as it needs your concentration on 100%. Do not even try to watch it with someone else or with a child beside you.
The only place you could have seen something like that is the pathetic try to mimic it in ending of Mass Effect 3 that ruined the whole game experience as ME3 writers are not Evangelion writers and instead of mindblowing ending it turned out to be a stinking fart.
Evangelion is definetly not something I'd recommend going for unless you desperately need something exotic and unique and have already seen many anime stuff so at least the mecha component doesn't look too unfamiliar.

My theory is that if Japanese animated features don't culminate in a tentacled catastrophe, they riot in the cinemas.
No they will riot if the main hero in any anime isn't a whiny little loser who always seems to be surrounded by girls, but for some reason never grows a pair of balls.

Then out of nowhere he becomes a bad-ass with a some type of power-up, but still is afraid of a pair of breasts. I like to call to cal it the Shinji Ikari Syndrome.

My thesis is based on watching twenty years of various anime shows.:biggrin:

What on earth did you watch couch?!
There are a few posts about anime in tv series thread, I suggest watching any of those mentioned there. There are no tentacles in any of them and no harems.

What on earth did you watch couch?!
There are a few posts about anime in tv series thread, I suggest watching any of those mentioned there. There are no tentacles in any of them and no harems.
I watch a little bit of everything Joxer. Though I watch less anime now then I used to due to my lack of interest. As the majority of anime is nothing but Harem genre now.

They all follow the plot I listed above.:disappointed:

Actually it is not.
Browse crunchyroll, whatever you even suspect as a harem, just skip it. There are plenty of titles that aren't.

Back
Top Bottom