DOOM: The Dark Ages

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Another Doom game was showcased at Xbox Games Showcase.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpgAOAOMUnA

Launching 2025. Wishlist on Xbox GamePass, Xbox Series X|S or PC.

Announcing DOOM: The Dark Ages, the prequel to the critically acclaimed DOOM (2016) and DOOM Eternal, and the third installment of the modern DOOM series. Developed by id Software on the latest idTech engine, DOOM: The Dark Ages is a single-player action FPS that tells the epic cinematic origin story of the DOOM Slayer's rage.You are the DOOM Slayer, the legendary demon-killing warrior and the super weapon in this never-before-seen dark and sinister medieval war against Hell.

Last edited:
I hope they won't focus on melee combat too much.
It won't.

Plus, is it me or are the weapon models and Doom Slayer's limbs even larger than in 2016/Eternal? In the trailer it felt like they covered a huge chunk of the screen.
That's probably when you get them for the first time. They've always had an animation like that to show them off.

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer is how many monsters they're re-using from the previous games.

That's a good article. I only skimmed it, but I get the feeling they want to go back to how they handled it in Doom 2016?
Meaning even they agree there was way too much encouragement in Eternal, in using particular weapons against particular enemies in particular ways.
Meaning they want to make most weapons usable in most situations? That's the feeling I got from skimming a few page. I hope that's what they're going for.
The puzzle combat was a bit too restrictive in Eternal, I found. You had to do particular things in order to maximize damage, and anything else was not as effective.

Personally, I could even do without those glory kills.
What I don't like is the shield. It's way too limited and gimmicky to occupy one hand. And there's no way they can make it comparable in versatility to all the other weapons.
Personally, it feels a bit hamfisted just because of the "medieval" setting.

Wow. Awesome trailer. Doom Eternal blew me away with how good it is, so I will definitely be getting this follow-up. The graphics, gore, and run and gun action looks incredible.

An interview with Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin of id Software where they talk about what they're shooting for (no pun intended) with The Dark Ages.

If they can manage to invoke the feel and aesthetic of classic DOOM in a modernized version, that's definitely something I could go for!

Very interesting. I thought the trailer was awesome; the action looks very fun. What did you not like?
I think the main thing is melee weapons I find make the whole thing much slower. Plus, I don't want to start blocking with my shield or anything.
Plus, melee almost never looks and feels very good in first person. It just doesn't seem to me like the two meld very well; but I hope I'm wrong.
Plus, wasn't Quake already medieval dark ages? I'd rather they'd done this setting with a Quake reboot. But still keep it mostly at ranged weapons.
I'm worried they might be just trying too much to keep it fresh and different. But we'll see. I'll definitely play it.

One other bad thing is that we'll never get Mick Gordon again. He was just on another level. We'll never get a song like BFG Division.
After Doom 2016 came out I've basically had that song on constant loops every now and then. It's just fantastic. And there's other's that are great as well. I'll never forgive id or Bethesda or whoever fucked him over.

One other bad thing is that we'll never get Mick Gordon again. He was just on another level. We'll never get a song like BFG Division.
After Doom 2016 came out I've basically had that song on constant loops every now and then. It's just fantastic. And there's other's that are great as well. I'll never forgive id or Bethesda or whoever fucked him over.
Me neither. It was a dick move, though we probably don't know everything.

It's the first game with a new composer, isn't it? Bar the mobile and spin-off versions, I mean.

Me neither. It was a dick move, though we probably don't know everything.
Mick made a pretty detailed post some years after the initial blowout between them, explaining the legal matters of why he took this long to respond, and giving more context. I honestly don't remember the specifics, but I remember coming away with Mick probably being in the right.
And we've not heard a peep from id since them on the topic, and we probably won't.
Anyway, that dream is dead.
It's the first game with a new composer, isn't it? Bar the mobile and spin-off versions, I mean.
Yeah, the expansions to Doom Eternal were with the new composer(s) that I think they're also using for Dark Ages.

Not sure where you got the idea about melee weapons. It's still a shooter. that part hasn't changed.

It does look a little slower, but I think that's mostly due to them not showing any platforming in the trailer. The footage they did show was pretty brief.

The only thing I wouldn't like is if they took jumping out altogether. Some people are speculating that they have due to not seeing it in the first trailer, but I highly doubt that's the case.

Not sure where you got the idea about melee weapons. It's still a shooter. that part hasn't changed.
They said the Doom Slayer has a mace and I think they even used it. I suspect there will probably be other melee weapons.
I also don't like the throwing of the shield. Somehow just doesn't fit and feels off. Anyway, we'll as we get more info.

They said the Doom Slayer has a mace and I think they even used it. I suspect there will probably be other melee weapons.
I also don't like the throwing of the shield. Somehow just doesn't fit and feels off. Anyway, we'll as we get more info.
There was melee in Doom and Doom Eternal. Like those games, the focus is still on shooting.

I'm not sure how I feel about the shield yet, but I don't think it's possible to tell how it feels from watching a video.

Back
Top Bottom