DOOM: The Dark Ages

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Another Doom game was showcased at Xbox Games Showcase.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpgAOAOMUnA

Launching 2025. Wishlist on Xbox GamePass, Xbox Series X|S or PC.

Announcing DOOM: The Dark Ages, the prequel to the critically acclaimed DOOM (2016) and DOOM Eternal, and the third installment of the modern DOOM series. Developed by id Software on the latest idTech engine, DOOM: The Dark Ages is a single-player action FPS that tells the epic cinematic origin story of the DOOM Slayer's rage.You are the DOOM Slayer, the legendary demon-killing warrior and the super weapon in this never-before-seen dark and sinister medieval war against Hell.

Last edited:
I hope they won't focus on melee combat too much.
It won't.

Plus, is it me or are the weapon models and Doom Slayer's limbs even larger than in 2016/Eternal? In the trailer it felt like they covered a huge chunk of the screen.
That's probably when you get them for the first time. They've always had an animation like that to show them off.

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer is how many monsters they're re-using from the previous games.

That's a good article. I only skimmed it, but I get the feeling they want to go back to how they handled it in Doom 2016?
Meaning even they agree there was way too much encouragement in Eternal, in using particular weapons against particular enemies in particular ways.
Meaning they want to make most weapons usable in most situations? That's the feeling I got from skimming a few page. I hope that's what they're going for.
The puzzle combat was a bit too restrictive in Eternal, I found. You had to do particular things in order to maximize damage, and anything else was not as effective.

Personally, I could even do without those glory kills.
What I don't like is the shield. It's way too limited and gimmicky to occupy one hand. And there's no way they can make it comparable in versatility to all the other weapons.
Personally, it feels a bit hamfisted just because of the "medieval" setting.

Wow. Awesome trailer. Doom Eternal blew me away with how good it is, so I will definitely be getting this follow-up. The graphics, gore, and run and gun action looks incredible.

An interview with Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin of id Software where they talk about what they're shooting for (no pun intended) with The Dark Ages.

Back
Top Bottom