Dragon Age 2 - The decline of the Classic RPG at Hooked Gamers

Some people are easily amused.

What is the big deal if some of us like it? I'm totally lost here on why some of you get so butthurt over it. So many comments how we try and force you to like something we do when in reality it's you so ignorant you can't just let those who want to play it have the same right to say things. Shocking.

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it just fine. When I buy it and all the DLC at a deep discount on Steam 3 years from now or something. But then, I enjoyed Ninja Gaiden and Gears of War, also.

I'm actually seeing more bitching about the criticism than about the game itself.

It's a two-way street, people have the right to *not* like it as well. It's starting to get old seeing the same few posters attempting to retaliate every time someone critiques their sacred cow.

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it just fine. When I buy it and all the DLC at a deep discount on Steam 3 years from now or something. But then, I enjoyed Ninja Gaiden and Gears of War, also.

There you go. I'm with you all the way. ;)

But my opinion MAY change based on what objective players here say AFTER they play it.

Last edited:
I'm actually seeing more bitching about the criticism than about the game itself.

It's a two-way street, people have the right to *not* like it as well. It's starting to get old seeing the same few posters attempting to retaliate every time someone critiques their sacred cow.

No one likes reading things about a game they like which seem untrue or highly exaggerated. If some Call of Duty gamer came here and said Deus Ex sucks because it's got bad controls and no direction I am sure you would correct him.

When people say Dragon Age 2 is a hack n' slash game for simpletons and I played it as a strategic tactical RPG of course I am going to defend it. The real core issue is why some people think it's a tactical RPG and some people insist it isn't. My theory is the animations and movement speed, but it could be any number of other things.

Okay I've just registered so well euh…. hi everybody!

I'm not an hardcore gamer as a lot of ppls here, as I matter of fact I started playing 4 or 5 years ago as I did not much have time with my studies, but what I find surprising here is that people seems to have difficulties to separate marketing from the actual game.

I studied in cinema and let me tell you that a lot of time the way a movie is marketed is in no way representative of the said flick. I am not saying that is the same in the gaming world but it seems to me that a lot of ppls are turned off by the marketing and think it will represent the game well.. it might but maybe not…

p.s: oh yeah a demo is more than likely a marketing tool also ...

hop it made sense…

I studied in cinema and let me tell you that a lot of time the way a movie is marketed is in no way representative of the said flick.

Dragon Age: Origins' "This is the New Shit!" ads prove this applies to games as well.

Hi and welcome. I agree with you which is why I dislike marketing. My only criteria for having an opinion on a game I haven't yet played is what the people I respect here at the Watch have to say about it.

Okay I've just registered so well euh…. hi everybody!

I'm not an hardcore gamer as a lot of ppls here, as I matter of fact I started playing 4 or 5 years ago as I did not much have time with my studies, but what I find surprising here is that people seems to have difficulties to separate marketing from the actual game.

I studied in cinema and let me tell you that a lot of time the way a movie is marketed is in no way representative of the said flick. I am not saying that is the same in the gaming world but it seems to me that a lot of ppls are turned off by the marketing and think it will represent the game well.. it might but maybe not…

hop it made sense…

Welcome! :)

Perhaps marketing can turn people off so much that it ruins their perception on something, but I don't think that ultimately applies for every person. I find Bioware's marketing tactics disgusting, sure, but I know that the marketing doesn't represent the game. Look at DA:O; the marketing was similarly sickening, but it still received a positive reception from "hardcore" gamers because the game was a solid experience, and it was judged for that, not the marketing.

No one likes reading things about a game they like which seem untrue or highly exaggerated. If some Call of Duty gamer came here and said Deus Ex sucks because it's got bad controls and no direction I am sure you would correct him.

When people say Dragon Age 2 is a hack n' slash game for simpletons and I played it as a strategic tactical RPG of course I am going to defend it. The real core issue is why some people think it's a tactical RPG and some people insist it isn't. My theory is the animations and movement speed, but it could be any number of other things.

The vast majority of posts criticizing DA2 are people who are simply stating their reasons for not liking the game based on the demo, and, for the most part, they are legitimate reasons, and are not "highly exaggerated".

Some people just need to learn how to let things go… (not talking about you specifically)

What's funny is, the only people getting attacked are those that say they like it. Matter of fact, those that like it have said it's fine you don't like it. The most I have done is commented when someone bashes someone for liking it. And yes it is starting to get old having to defend why we like it, seems freedom of speech is ok if you agree with those that don't like it. Funny huh?

This is the last I will say on DA 2, until after I play it and comment on actual gameplay thread. Sad our community got this strained over one game. Feel free to bash on this, I care not.

Welcome! :)

Perhaps marketing can turn people off so much that it ruins their perception on something, but I don't think that ultimately applies for every person. I find Bioware's marketing tactics disgusting, sure, but I know that the marketing doesn't represent the game. Look at DA:O; the marketing was similarly sickening, but it still received a positive reception from "hardcore" gamers because the game was a solid experience, and it was judged for that, not the marketing.

Ooh I agree not everyone are influenced by the marketing the same way.. but I read a lot of ppls laughing at the awesone button(yes it is a terrible way of marketing something to adult consumers) but it has nothing to do with the game. .

What's funny is, the only people getting attacked are those that say they like it. Matter of fact, those that like it have said it's fine you don't like it. The most I have done is commented when someone bashes someone for liking it. And yes it is starting to get old having to defend why we like it, seems freedom of speech is ok if you agree with those that don't like it. Funny huh?

I see very few posts that could be considered "attacks", as you put it. What I see a lot more of is people unnecessarily responding to common criticism, and attempting to rationalize why people shouldn't have those opinions.

The comment made by Barghest earlier was quite rude, but that example would be a very small minority compared to the comments in general. So keep pretending that every post boils down to "DA2 sucks! I hate Bioware!".

Ooh I agree not everyone are influenced by the marketing the same way.. but I read a lot of ppls laughing at the awesone button(yes it is a terrible way of marketing something to adult consumers) but it has nothing to do with the game. .

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. I think that people generally just make fun of the marketing itself, as the "awesome-button!" catch-phrase was quite ridiculous, and it is entertaining to make fun of such immature marketing schemes. I would hope that no one ever thought there would actually be an awesome-button though, and hopefully nobody took took that too seriously. Interesting topic by the way; marketing is certainly interesting to examine from a psychological standpoint.

Last edited:
The vast majority of posts criticizing DA2 are people who are simply stating their reasons for not liking the game based on the demo, and, for the most part, they are legitimate reasons, and are not "highly exaggerated".

Saying it's a hack n' slash game with no tactics is, from my perspective, untrue and exaggerated. Same as if someone says Deus Ex has no choices or Gothic has no freedom I am going to rebut what I think is unfair or inaccurate criticism.

You're right in that people keep going 'round and 'round though, and it's becoming obvious it's pointless. Some people are going to keep saying they removed the tactics from DA2, right or wrong, and some are going to keep saying they didn't, right or wrong.

Still, forums are for discussion and debate.

In any event I do think it is somewhat of a facts situation. If you load up the DA2 demo and remove auto-tactics from your companions, then play it as a hack n' slash game with no tactics, you will not succeed. In my opinion that is proof it is not as some people here have characterized it.

Sad our community got this strained over one game.

It is :( But it's to be expected really; a lot of us had looked up to Bioware for a long time for having given us BG. Even when they put out such jokes as Jade Empire, we forgave them. Then they announced Dragon Age ~7 years ago and I surely wasn't the only one excited that they could quite possibly be returning to their roots...

Skip ahead a few years and all these self-delusional hopes and dreams come crashing down. We won't have another BG out of Bioware. Bioware does NOT have the same priorities as it used to. It's just a matter of coming to terms with reality. So we bicker at one another, making our epiphany and disappointment clear.

Me, I saw the writing on the wall with their EA buyout - but that's not to say it was all roses and ice cream beforehand.

Saying it's a hack n' slash game with no tactics is, from my perspective, untrue and exaggerated. Same as if someone says Deus Ex has no choices or Gothic has no freedom I am going to rebut what I think is unfair or inaccurate criticism.

In any event I do think it is somewhat of a facts situation. If you load up the DA2 demo and remove auto-tactics from your companions, then play it as a hack n' slash game with no tactics, you will not succeed. In my opinion that is proof it is not as some people here have characterized it.

You seem to be focusing only on that one comment, as if everyone who criticizes DA2 is claiming it's a hack n' slash game. Nevermind all the other comments that have nothing to do with that.

You seem to be focusing only on that one comment, as if everyone who criticizes DA2 is claiming it's a hack n' slash game. Nevermind all the other comments that have nothing to do with that.

Well that's the main one I am rebutting.

It's definitely streamlined and simplified as a tactical RPG, yes.

Back
Top Bottom