Dragon Age: The Veilguard - Overview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Wccftech is giving an overview of Dragon Age: The Veilguard:

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Features Companions Ability Wheel for Strategic Combat; Romance Has No Limitations

Yesterday, BioWare revealed Dragon Age: The Veilguard, the official new title for the upcoming installment in the roleplaying game franchise. The studio decided to drop the previous title (Dreadwolf) to place a bigger emphasis on the player character and his seven companions rather than on the villain of the story.

The focus on companions appears clear everywhere in Dragon Age: The Veilguard. Speaking to IGN, BioWare General Manager Gary McKay detailed the new companions' ability wheel players will encounter in combat.

As an RPG, strategy in combat is important as you bring two companions to every fight. Each companion brings unique powers and abilities that have a direct impact on how you choose to take down the enemies at hand. To add another layer to that strategic element, we're introducing a new ability wheel where you can pause the action and set up your next move - whether it's your companions' abilities or your own.

The ability wheel opens up a huge amount of strategic possibilities, giving players the ability to control the flow of combat and link powerful combinations of abilities between players and their companions that can quickly turn the tide of any battle. We think we've found an exciting balance between fun, fluidity, and strategy for every encounter.

There's a couple of notable tidbits here. First, Dragon Age: The Veilguard is reducing the party size from four to three, explaining why the game will have fewer available companions than Inquisition (seven instead of nine). Secondly, while not outright confirmed, the ability wheel appears to corroborate the previous rumor that players would not be able to directly control party members. It sounds like it will be very similar to Mass Effect, which also featured a party of three characters with two companions that could be issued orders.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard will also remove any limitations on companion romances, pivoting from the previous franchise entry, where companions had gender and/or race preferences (and some of them, like Varric and Cole, could not be romanced at all).

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Goodbye awesome button, hello ability wheel!

But this is starting to sound like a "close the oblivion gate" kind of premise, which was my least-favorite thing to do in any previous RPG. Additionally, every veil sequence in previous Dragon Age games were my least-favorite segments.

Now they may have based this sequel on just that.

Last edited:
Well it was hinted the game is similar to Mass Effect. If so I wouldn't be surprised as BioWare stopped being a RPG developer years ago. Now it's cinematic RPGLite games.

Anyway based on the beta footage I was worried it would be another Dark Souls clone.

Last edited:
After watching the official trailer I learned some of the companions names and that it seems we’ll be spending time in the fade, yuck. I’m waiting for the gameplay reveal on Tuesday to shed some light on how it all works.

After watching the official trailer I learned some of the companions names and that it seems we’ll be spending time in the fade, yuck. I’m waiting for the gameplay reveal on Tuesday to shed some light on how it all works.
The trailer didn't give me much confidence. I hope the art style in the actual gameplay doesn't look like that. The character's faces look like something from Disney.

Bucking the trend I loved the trailer. If the game looks even half that good I will be psyched. I think the art looks great. I'm actually surprised at the negative reaction. The visuals look gorgeous to me. I'm rather hyped now but it is a trailer so need to see actual game play and learn more before I know. I haven't been too into the idea of DA4 since DAI left me somewhat unimpressed, although I enjoyed one play through well enough and had fun with it. Never made it through a second play through although almost wondering if I should go binge and play through all 3 before fall. Be something to do over the summer anyhow.

I remain a bit skeptical of what it will actually be but fully enjoyed the trailer at least and now more interested in seeing game play.

There should be a longer game-play trailer released soon as well.

Looks like they are targeting 12-year olds for this iteration. I won't play a Nickelodeon Dragon Age.

Let them go full-toon with Dragon Age as most have forgotten the franchise, anyway. But if they try to use that art style with the next Mass Effect, people will be ...upset.

That said, I think the trailer was "ok" and I'm glad we'll soon see how BioWare is trying to recover from Anthem.

Looks like a pile of aged turd. I would never even dream of spending money on this. The reception to these videos has been so bad I am wondering if this could actually be the death knell for Bioware itself.

Some people have spent so long in their tiny bubbles they've forgotten there exist millions of people outside of it. Some might even be surprised that a great many haven't forgotten this franchise and are very eager and hyped for its release, at least based on what I see on various news sites and social media, especially when I don't limit myself to confirmation bias.

I'm excited after the trailer but still have some skepticism on mechanics and hoping the game play on 6/11 will show something good.

Bingo I wrote the same reply on the other forum thread.

Though I'm personally not to excited I'm sure I'll buy it someday. BioWare just has a image problem they need to fix. It's not something they can easily fix after Anthem.

Doesn't help it's been over a decade since the last game as well.

Last edited:
The reactions aren't difficult to understand. It's a series that's always had a very grim and visceral style. When you suddenly change that style, not everyone is going to like it.

There was a time when I purchased all of Gaider's books to learn about this new universe BioWare created... But things have changed, and 10 years is a long time between sequels. Even the studio realized few people knew or cared about the Dreadwolf anymore and thought to change the title to something less specific.

To be fair, I am excited about this game, but that arrow is pointing lower now that it's confirmed they're targeting a much younger demographic, as they did with Inquisition, along with a jarring change in art direction.

But we'll see...

I find it funny that so many people say they've written off Bioware but looking at responses in this thread, that certainly isn't the case.

I for one, have no interest in Bioware games anymore :)

I find it funny that so many people say they've written off Bioware but looking at responses in this thread, that certainly isn't the case.

I for one, have no interest in Bioware games anymore :)
Yeah BioWare games have always brought out the best and worst comments over the last 15 years. My fondest memories are when Dragon Age 2 was released. Pure comedy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom