Dragon's Dogma 2 - First Impressions

Again, MTX is where it's at. Consider that 60% of gaming revinue is make from MOBILE PHONES from free2play games like Genshin. If you're not doing MTX then you're just trying to screw the shareholders.

That's not me talking, that's just the way shit is.

That's not me talking, that's just the way shit is.
As long as it is cosmetics or earnable ingame, I personally, don't care. Whales can buy that.

What I got from Mortisamal video is that if he, on his supercomputer, is having performance issues, then it runs like ass on "average PC".

As long as it is cosmetics or earnable ingame, I personally, don't care. Whales can buy that.

What I got from Mortisamal video is that if he, on his supercomputer, is having performance issues, then it runs like ass on "average PC".
It will change from system to system. I have a decent rig, but not the best processor or GPU that's available, DLSS enabled on highest settings, and I have only minor FPS drop in cities during daytime when turning the camera.

It could be better, regardless, but the vast majority of the game (including any part that matters) happens outside of those conditions (is, the main city during daytime) so it's only minorly inconvenient. The biggest problem is if the game's crashing on you, some people seem to be having that, which is pretty bad.

Luckily, Steam offers refunds if you have performance issues, so there's little penalty for trying it out yourself.

Maybe, maybe not. PC Gamer says it's a CPU thing having to do with lots of NPCs around. "Faster" CPUs are often not all that much faster, they just have more cores. That could be a help here if the devs are using all the cores to do these calculations. If they have to keep it on one thread, though, a beast of a PC will only be a little faster.

Thanks for sharing, those were interesting.

See, there are good YouTube reviewers out there. Like everything in life, you just have to have the knowledge and talent to be a YouTuber. Not everyone can. It's just some people insist on being YouTubers instead of finding something they're good at.

But anyway yeah, I'd expect there is a NDA when you are given a copy of the game for reviewing purposes.

Likewise, I do believe they didn't have performance issues, simply because I'm also not having any performance issues.

My point of view fully coincides with Ratatoskr too.

Why IS it that you can't start a new character without yanking the save file? It would increase sales of that DLC item, but would it add many sales?? You look up the item, you see heavily negative reviews, you look at the reviews, and you find out that you can change your appearance just by playing the game a little more. No sale. (Or at least only sales for people who are willing to part with $3 so they can change their beard right now instead of tomorrow.)

Then there's the method they used - no restarting the game. WHAT!? Why wouldn't they just make it a lot harder to change it in-game? This makes it difficult on people who want to restart because they want to completely re-do what they've done up to that point - something people can do a dozen hours in. Or even after they've gotten 50 hours in but put the game down for a year and now want to give it another go with a fresh start. It doesn't make any sense - and of course it's going to lead to backlash.

And then there's the demo. How did they choose to introduce the game to us? By giving us the best character creator ever seen (maybe - it's tough to compare it to City of Heroes). One that even lets you see your character in different lighting conditions! If I wanted to drive people to a makeover-DLC, that's the last thing I would pick.

Weird. Really really weird.

I'm still baffled about that.

I can't remember a game where you can't restart a new game at will. And in this game, restarting a new game makes complete sense, as explained in other thread, when you level up as mage, you get mage stats, and while switching Vocation gives you the abilities of that other Vocation, the base stats you got while levelling matter a lot for how efficient your character is going to be in the long run. It's as if in Elder Ring you put all points in Magic and then switch to using Greatsword. The Greatsword will hit hard, but you'll have a gimped build compared to someone who put all their points in Strength. For the best Greatsword experience, you'd rather start a new game with a character built for it.

I'm having the best time I've had in months with DD2, but disabling the ability to just start new game to try something new, or just play as a different class and level it efficiently for the long haul is something I can't understand. Hopefully they'll patch it in at some point, and at least explain what's the reason behind that decision; to me it's clear that it's not the microtransactions, as they're not affected in any way by it, and there isn't a "Create New Game" item for sale anyway. The appearance changers that are for sale are trivial to get ingame and that wouldn't be a reason to restart a new game.

If they're smart, they will say it was an oopsie and patch it in.

This game is really crazy in terms of all the crap Capcom is doing...I agree with Redglyph's post earlier, not buying this, it has too many anti-gamer aspects to it for my taste.

One save file - unacceptable.
Can't restart your game - beyond unacceptable
Micro-transactions which are basically "cheats" that you buy - unacceptable

A game that has the most restrictive measures just to ensure the gamer can't do anything in-game that the developers feel might not add to Capcom's profits, such as having cheats (in a single player game!) - beyond unacceptable.

I went to a cheat site that I'm a subscriber, just to see, and even they don't yet have a cheat trainer for this game, and claim they are "working on it". I doubt they will be able to make a good trainer with the kind of restrictions and total control for Capcom that the greedy company built into every fiber of the game.

I wonder if mods will even be possible for this game due to its locked down nature...ugh, if this is gaming's new direction and future, I will not be buying any more new games at this rate.

Last edited:
The no replaying the game from start, ever again, really is insane. And I think I only saw this in one other game, but I can't remember which.
And there's no way they didn't know about it. So you have to go figure, what was the intention? To really have a consumable video game?
That's gonna be the next level of corporate abuse, with video games that delete themselves from your library or become inactive after you complete them once.
Real customer service for ya, as Carlin said:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbXsupmufBQ

I'm confused about the no restarting thing. Can't you just delete the save file and start a new one? Or is the controversy because there isn't an option to restart the game with the same character?

If it's the latter, I don't quite get the outrage. It's not like it hasn't been done before. For example, most soulslikes are that way.

Not quite what's happening, though, is it? You can start over. You could start over 20 times. But you can't (as I understand it) go back to an earlier game once you do so.
That's not it from what I understand.
There's two issues. One is the one save file (which if I understand you correctly, is what you described)
And the other issue is that once you reach a certain point you can restart the game from scratch.

I'm confused about the no restarting thing. Can't you just delete the save file and start a new one? Or is the controversy because there isn't an option to restart the game with the same character?

If it's the latter, I don't quite get the outrage. For example, most soulslikes are that way.
From what I've seen you can't start the game from scratch once more.
A few people have started, at least on steam, to remove the save files after tinkering with disabling the cloud saves and all that, to ensure it gets removed.

And from what I understand some people that have tried that then triggered Denuvo, which can apparently lock you out of your own game, because it misconstrues the playing around with the save files as tampering ...
That last part with Denuvo sounds a bit weird, but I wouldn't put it past them.

What's definite is you cannot, from inside the game, start a brand new game. You maybe could on steam hack it and manually remove the save files.
But that also sounds unacceptable to me. Plus, on console I don't know what the situation is. But I imagine it's even harder, since you can't as easily get at the filesystem.

I don't have the game, of course, but I have been reading reviews and the steam forum for the game. Apparently, you cannot restart your game, unless you do some sort of unorthodox procedure and it involves other things but one of the steps is to turn off your steam cloud saves, in other words, there is a bypass you must use to bypass Capcom's strict lock-out from starting a new game for now. Imagine being a gaming company and refusing to allow people to start a new game. Probably even this bypass will be temporary, and be patched out soon enough by Capcom anyway.

Update: so a thread is now in the steam forum saying Capcom announced they are removing the lock-out from starting new games, who knows if it is true though. If so, I guess Capcom couldn't stand up to the pressure, lol

Terrible idea they had, they are Microsoft times 50 in terms of wanting control of your gaming experience!

From what I've seen you can't start the game from scratch once more.
A few people have started, at least on steam, to remove the save files after tinkering with disabling the cloud saves and all that, to ensure it gets removed.

And from what I understand some people that have tried that then triggered Denuvo, which can apparently lock you out of your own game, because it misconstrues the playing around with the save files as tampering ...
That last part with Denuvo sounds a bit weird, but I wouldn't put it past them.

What's definite is you cannot, from inside the game, start a brand new game. You maybe could on steam hack it and manually remove the save files.
But that also sounds unacceptable to me. Plus, on console I don't know what the situation is. But I imagine it's even harder, since you can't as easily get at the filesystem.
I thought it had to be a misunderstanding, but that sounds fucking insane if it really works that way.

So people are literally locked into the first character they create with no option to delete it and start over? I must be missing something here, because that would be an all-time idiotic move on the part of the dev.

Back
Top Bottom