Dragon's Dogma 2 - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

Fair. The original was a good game. Why would I pay this much for a game that is essentially the same with added technical issues? For the graphical updates? No thanks.

Fair. The original was a good game. Why would I pay this much for a game that is essentially the same with added technical issues? For the graphical updates? No thanks.
How exactly is it the same? Going by that kind of logic every sequel in the world is "essentially the same".
I never get this logic. Even if the sequel use the exact game engine, with the exact game mechanics, and everything is identical except for the story, setting and characters; it's a completely different game.
I guess it goes to what do you play games for. But even if it was the same mechanics and gameplay, with nothing improved, did you not enjoy the original enough to want a repeat experience at least? Boggles the mind.

Sorry if I came off agressive. Didn't mean to. But I'm really surprised at remarks like this.

Yeah, "essentially the same game" is hyperbole I've been seeing all over the place. Sure it's similar - it's a sequel, not some "sequel in incremented number only" like the majority of the Final Fantasy series.
But it is different where it counts - much larger, much more complex map. Entirely different story, with the main commonality being the Arisen's origin (which is the point of the title, so shouldn't be all that different).
It's improved all over the place,aside from the performance of course. ;)

I would have been pretty happy with another content DLC for the first game, so even if it was genuinely "essentially the same" I would probably play it.

Yeah, "essentially the same game" is hyperbole I've been seeing all over the place. Sure it's similar - it's a sequel, not some "sequel in incremented number only" like the majority of the Final Fantasy series.
But it is different where it counts - much larger, much more complex map. Entirely different story, with the main commonality being the Arisen's origin (which is the point of the title, so shouldn't be all that different).
It's improved all over the place,aside from the performance of course. ;)

I would have been pretty happy with another content DLC for the first game, so even if it was genuinely "essentially the same" I would probably play it.
Yeah, it's the type of hyperbole I'd expect to hear from someone that didn't enjoy the original experience.

Dragons Dogma 2 is exactly what I want in a sequel. Take everything that worked in the first game and make it better and add a few new things.

I went back and replayed about 10 hours of DD1 before DD2 came out and I can’t think of one thing I would prefer in the first game. Everything in the second game is just better imo.

I don’t like typically like when they try and reinvent a game in a sequel. Take Dragon Age for instance going from DA1 to DA2 to DAI is like playing 3 different games, not like playing 3 games in a series and it didn’t get better as it went imo.

I have been trying to get into this but as soon as I got to the main city my FPS dropped horribly and it is killing the enjoyment. I am waiting until they release a performance patch for the cpu usage and hopefully then it will be much better.

It is the same because it has the same enemies, the same story, the same mechanics, the same issues it had before. I enjoyed DD 1 so I know that I will enjoy DD 2 when I finally will get it (90% off?), but not for the asking price. This was essentially my logic and my point.

And it's still an invalid point from someone who hasn't played the game and has no clue of anything they're talking about, and is just strawmanning and parroting things they heard from others; which is what they already told you, with kinder words.

I really wanted to enjoy Dragon's Dogma 2 - I bought the first one and pretty much bounced of it after the first 3-4 or so hours, I ended up doing the exact same thing for Dragon's Dogma 2. I'll have to give it another try once a few more patches come in that help with the freezes/crashing I've been having, not that it bothers me that much, but I would like to play it when it is optimized a little better. I tend not to enjoy games that are primarily based on the control pad, rather than the keyboard and mouse for some reason. I bounced off Elden Ring similarly, come to think of it. It's a bit of a shame because, like many people this year, DD2 was the game I was most looking forward to.

Back
Top Bottom