Drakensang: TDE - Complete Saga Edition for NA in Sept?

Couchpotato - If I have had caps I have never noticed them, which proves they don't really matter.

Sir_Brennus - How many of that one-third are gamers? Hardcore gamers? PC Gamers? Next to none I would guess.

I understand you guys like boxes, and that's cool so do I. I just now gave up on them, so obviously I was pretty into them to hold out this long. That doesn't change the facts of where the US market is headed though.

Good for you then but I have three people using my connection and its very easy to reach the cap. Especially with games being 7-20 gb. If you factor in the cloud system gaming you use over 20gbs a week on two or three games. Just saying its not unlimited anymore.

Unlimited was 5 years ago before the company's decided to hike prices and cap instead of improving there network. You can also blame netflix.

I have no problem with digital as the company's who do there games dont interest me. The box copy's will be around for at least a few more years. The digital revolution isn't complete yet till the consoles fully go digital and I dont see that happening yet.

Try downloading a 50gb blue-ray game and see if you maintain your cap.

Most people - rather those who live in urban areas - tend to believe (aka fall prey to the urban myth) that *all* people have access to broadband.

Those in the rural areas know better.

Here in Germany, for example, rural areas still don't have brodband in some areas, because the telecommunications company just don't see any profits in that.
More costs (laying cables etc.) than profits.

It's Capitalism at its purest.

The only solution is WLAN and similar techniques right now.

I read a statement from Paradox recently that said the bulk of their sales, like 85%, were digital.
Paradox is a bit of a special case- they produce the bulk of their retail games on CDs as their games are relatively small (400-600 MB), and they are therefore easy to download even on dial up. That's a far cry from a 2 DVD spanning AAA blockbuster like a GTA IV where it's 14+ GB.

I've been downloading Risen on dial up. Started on June 1st (!) still got 600MB to go. It is fast connection rollover in two days so I'll probably get it finished then assuming my staggering 2GB cap still has a bit left over.

Paradox's more recent stuff has been creeping up in file size. Magicka and Cities in Motion are both about 2GB. Not quite AAA file size but I sure as heck wouldn't want to download them on dial up.

Try downloading a 50gb blue-ray game and see if you maintain your cap.

And that's a good point... the largest game on Steam and such right now is probably GTA4 at 16GB or so. If games keep getting larger and larger over time I would imagine it's possible they would outpace advancements in broadband technology.

Honestly though I doubt it. For one thing the stuff Sony fills up blu-ray discs with for games is multiple languages and uncompressed audio and video, which is not viewed as essential or even desired by most people. For another thing compression technology continues to advance at a very steady rate and games that would have needed two DVDs or more when the Xbox 360 launched now easily fit on one disc. See Todd Howard's comments on this as it pertains to Skyrim. Lastly I'm not sure the gaming industry will continue down the road of larger and larger games, larger and larger textures...

And in addition to all that you have the people who say streaming is the future. I personally won't support that if it comes to it, but a lot of people will. See Netflix and OnLive, as well as all those cloud music services.

In the far future I bet the idea of owning media in any sense is seen as ridiculous.

Here in Germany, for example

I made it pretty clear I am talking about the US and that I understand the situation is different elsewhere.

Magicka and Cities in Motion are both about 2GB. Not quite AAA file size but I sure as heck wouldn't want to download them on dial up.

Don't know about Magicka but for CiM the entire install is only 413MB, well below CD size. Victoria II, Pride of Nations and the new Mount and Blade are all relatively small as well and their largest published title (so far as I am aware) is either Lionheart (3+GB) or King Arthur (6+), though I'm not really sure KA counts as Paradox only distributed it.

Don't know about Magicka but for CiM the entire install is only 413MB, well below CD size. Victoria II, Pride of Nations and the new Mount and Blade are all relatively small as well and their largest published title (so far as I am aware) is either Lionheart (3+GB) or King Arthur (6+), though I'm not really sure KA counts as Paradox only distributed it.

I went back to re-check that and you're right so my mistake. Steam had the "HD space required" as 2GB so that must have been what I was looking at. They make it rather difficult to find out the size of install files once you've downloaded them on Steam or at least I haven't found a simple location to locate that info reliably.

Anyhow, I know I used a good bit of my Comcast 250 GB monthly download cap downloading a bunch of Paradox stuff but that's because I bought their entire library on the Steam summer sale. ;)

I know there were a few that seemed to take forever even on broadband. KA was probably one of them I'm sure. They do tend to do a lot of dlc expansions and such and the download sites usually sell complete packages with all the add ons so that adds to file size.

At any rate, it's still more than I'd want to download on dial up but luckily I don't have to worry about that, only not hitting the 250GB number in a month.

Back
Top Bottom