Dungeons Of Aledorn - Mechanisms of Combat

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A new development update was posted for Dungeons Of Aledorn about combat.

Reality in the Turn-Based System

As I wrote in a previous blog and in my combat mechanics, this is mainly about reality . I imagined a good fight from a film and I said: ‘ this is what a fight to the death by experienced fighters should look like. ” For me, there was a hilarious fight in the movie The Bourne Ultimatum (incidentally, the whole trilogy is absolutely great => highly recommended). In this fight were two well-trained agents fighting against each other who attacked each other simply with what was available at hand, which is exactly as it should be. Now it’s just a matter of how something like this can get into games and into the whole system.

Let me tell you , it’s not exactly easy. But when one tries to do something difficult , it must be started gradually from scratch. So I took the system based on action points and their implimentation in different events, and used that to determine what a chatacter can do. If you create a sufficiently large enough number of events , the player will really be able to do almost anything. The question is, of course, whether it would still be fun . It might be easy to state the character must kick a rat rather than a human, but it may take many seconds to select from a list of actions what you actually want to do.
More information.

The Bourne Ultimatum (incidentally, the whole trilogy is absolutely great => highly recommended). In this fight were two well-trained agents fighting against each other who attacked each other simply with what was available at hand, which is exactly as it should be

My views exactly. RPG turn based needs new better combat with surprisingly good moves not seen elsewhere only in movies. Thats why I'm building my own, small RPG. There are dozens of great scenes in asian martial arts and war movies that beg to be implemented.

And don't say, omg its impossible.. Nothing is impossible, ask Kojima, how he whipped his coding team and told them "Don't tell me what I cannot do". What he imagined apparently could be done even partially in some amazing way - think about that legendary rain effect implementation for example many years ago on PS2. Coders said its impossible. Yet Kojima has shown them / inspired them, believed for them so they started to believe they can do it, and lo and behold: amazing rain effect on PS2 in Metal Gear Solid.

Back
Top Bottom