Elden Ring journeys and experiences

I don't like the dungeons where the biggest threat is something in the environment rather than enemies you can actually fight. Like the dungeon that's right at the very start where you need a stonesword key to access it. Constantly having to dodge that giant metal chariot is just annoying. Is there any way to destroy or deactivate it?
Yes you can destroy them. The method is different for each dungeon. If you don’t mind spoilers it’s easiest to look up the solutions online. I figured out one dungeon on my own then looked up the others. Personally I recommend looking them up.

As for the chariot, yeah, it's a pain in the ass. As is the boss at the end of that gauntlet.
The Ulcerated Tree Spirit? Yeah, he got the best of me the first time I fought him, but I'm not sure he's as strong as he looks. It's a difficult dungeon though compared to the rest of that region.

The Ulcerated Tree Spirit? Yeah, he got the best of me the first time I fought him, but I'm not sure he's as strong as he looks. It's a difficult dungeon though compared to the rest of that region.
He's spastic, and it's a pretty small room relative to his size. I hated fighting him. There are others like that later that aren't as difficult because you have more room to move around. Clipping through his body while the camera madly spins around trying to keep track of him isn't fun.

I never actually won the game before my controller ran out of batteries and a got distracted with Lost Ark, but I got the controller going again and I'm gonna finish it. I'm up to the capitol, so probably not too far to go. :)
I leveled up my Int just enough to try a couple of staffs I have, but I didn't realize I also have to learn sorceries from a trainer first? I've never tried to use magic before.
So, regarding magic for a fighter, based on my experience, looking at my most commonly used spells...

My guy is a STR/Faith sorta paladin build with 50str, 27faith. There's not a lot of support sorceries in my bag.

I'd say, for a fighter, with minimum investment, 15 faith is enough to get you all the heals up to Great Heal, all the resist buffs, a damage buff, a regen buff and a few Beastal damage spells.

If you want to do good damage with spells it really requires a lot of stat investment. Like, there's a full moon spell that needs 70 INT. With 27 faith I can throw a boulder for about 350 damage which is only half what I do with a good weapon swing.

But, there are a lot of good weapons that require INT. My knowledge is dated but the cool kids used to talk about the magic katana a lot. It was, like... NE from the start near the Pot boy NPC, in a cave, iirc.

So, yeah, I dunno. You can't really go wrong, there's good options no matter how you do your stats. Most the FP might as well be spent on weapon arts and there's consumables you can use in place of buffs. But, early on, 10 faith to cast heal is like an extra 2 heal pots so it seemed like a good investment to get a bit of faith going.

I think I based my build around that gold halberd you get off the knight near the start of the game. That thing is awesome, but I see I've got another halberd at +19, presumably so I can put other weapon arts on it because I can cast Golden Vow now. It's really good in the mines where the miners resist a lot of physical but the holy damage destroys them. :)

I'd say, for a fighter, with minimum investment, 15 faith is enough to get you all the heals up to Great Heal, all the resist buffs, a damage buff, a regen buff and a few Beastal damage spells.
What about FP though? Are there items that boost that or will I need to drop some points into Mind too? I've got some Ashes that I can't even use 1 time because of the FP cost to summon them.

What about FP though? Are there items that boost that or will I need to drop some points into Mind too? I've got some Ashes that I can't even use 1 time because of the FP cost to summon them.
Yes you should invest points into FP, since weapon arts and summons also need them. It is like with LP that you need a minimum regardless of you kind of built. You should be able to summon the strongest ashes you find.

What is LP?
Sorry, I meant HP (I am playing the German version, where Health Points are abbreviated as LP for Lebenspunkte, which means Life Points). What I wanted to say is that all characters should invest a certain amount of levels in Vigour and in Mind regardless of the built.

I'm doing Stormveil Castle now, and some areas are surprisingly challenging. I thought I might be over-leveled because I cleared 100% of the Weeping Peninsula first, but I'm getting my ass handed to me in a few spots

I found an area off the beaten path where you have to jump down several ledges before landing on an outcropping of rock that collapses and takes you to another area. There's a knight in crimson armor down there that I could barely dent with my +5 zweihander. Looks like I'll be coming back for him later.

Weeping Peninsula
That's where I'm currently trying to clear. Did the castle and the boss at the end this morning.
Took me a while to work out that it's not too hard to get around the back of that giant archer dude near the front of the castle without him noticing. He was surprisingly weak to my morning star's ankle taps.

Have avoided the giant bell turtle thingy whatever it is so far. Are you meant to fight that? I might see what he's all about later this afternoon.

Have avoided the giant bell turtle thingy whatever it is so far. Are you meant to fight that? I might see what he's all about later this afternoon.
That's a mausoleum. It actually can't hurt you. Well, at least I I don't think it can. Maybe if it steps on you. There's a way to make it stop moving, but I'll let you figure that out on your own.

A nearby merchant sells a note that gives you a hint if you need one.

Well, my Mind is still at 10 but I'm constantly considering whether I should raise it to 20, as that should give the most gain per point and I guess about 146 FP, which is similar to my amount of stamina. But it always feels like I'd be better off with more life or damage. I'm sure I can keep going with 10 but it would probably feel good to have more. I'd like to hear some thoughts from others, too. What's a good amount where a fully upgraded potion will fully restore all FP?

I haven't found an item that raises FP, but I'm playing blind so I'm not sure that one doesn't exist. I have found items that restore FP on kill or lower FP cost of skills. Also, an item for the special potion, that you might not have found yet, that gives you 5 seconds of free FP cost on everything. I can fire off 4 special weapon hits from that.

I can cast my buffs by drinking 1 blue potion, but buffing up is kinda tedious like this.

Wish that I had the right temperament to play Elden Ring. It looks great. Sadly I just can't cope with 'Epic boss-fights / Permadeath/ Roguelike' etc. etc. I have a tendency to rage-quit.........:(:cry:

I saw it on sale. Bought it on sale. Installed it. Loaded it up. Made my character. Started the game, then immediately quit because I realized I ain't got time for this.

Wish that I had the right temperament to play Elden Ring. It looks great. Sadly I just can't cope with 'Epic boss-fights / Permadeath/ Roguelike' etc. etc. I have a tendency to rage-quit.........:(:cry:
Well if it helps, it's nothing like a roguelike (or even roguelite) and there's no permadeath. You don't lose anything when you die and you certainly don't start over.

I saw it on sale. Bought it on sale. Installed it. Loaded it up. Made my character. Started the game, then immediately quit because I realized I ain't got time for this.
It's probably for the best. You Canadians don't have the fortitude for a game like Elden Ring. ;)

Well, my Mind is still at 10 but I'm constantly considering whether I should raise it to 20, as that should give the most gain per point and I guess about 146 FP, which is similar to my amount of stamina. But it always feels like I'd be better off with more life or damage. I'm sure I can keep going with 10 but it would probably feel good to have more. I'd like to hear some thoughts from others, too. What's a good amount where a fully upgraded potion will fully restore all FP?

I haven't found an item that raises FP, but I'm playing blind so I'm not sure that one doesn't exist. I have found items that restore FP on kill or lower FP cost of skills. Also, an item for the special potion, that you might not have found yet, that gives you 5 seconds of free FP cost on everything. I can fire off 4 special weapon hits from that.

I can cast my buffs by drinking 1 blue potion, but buffing up is kinda tedious like this.
You should go for a Mind value of 20 at least. For higher level endgame builts I recommend a value of 40. Relying on items/buffs etc. gets tedious after some time.

Cleared Stormveil Castle. I killed everything except for that aforementioned crimson knight. I notice that a lot of players seem to agree that Margit the Fell Omen is the toughest fight, but either I got lucky or he's been nerfed in one of the patches. I beat him on my second try. Godrick gave me a much harder time by comparison.

Also, that Lion mini-boss that constantly jumps around. I had to whittle him down from a distance with my crossbow.

Cleared Stormveil Castle. I killed everything except for that aforementioned crimson knight. I notice that a lot of players seem to agree that Margit the Fell Omen is the toughest fight, but either I got lucky or he's been nerfed in one of the patches. I beat him on my second try. Godrick gave me a much harder time by comparison.

Also, that Lion mini-boss that constantly jumps around. I had to whittle him down from a distance with my crossbow.
Yeah, if you’re referrinng to the hidden Crucible Knight in Stormveil(you drop off a ledge when you reach the eagles on the castel walls), yeah, they’re generally some of the toughest knights. And they’re different variations. There’s another one in Limgrave in one of the circular “prison” platforms that teleport you inside a dome of energy. There’s a few in the open world, with those crawling stone bead worms.

There’s another one in Limgrave in one of the circular “prison” platforms that teleport you inside a dome of energy. There’s a few in the open world, with those crawling stone bead worms.
I've found two or three of those circles so far, but I've avoided activating them because I wasn't sure if I was ready yet. I remember getting stomped when I messed with one during my trial run.

Back
Top Bottom