ELEX - From a Fanboys Perspective

I really enjoyed it and will play it through again. I was pretty much a Jax of all trades and master of none, next time I will give a bit more thought, play it on a harder level and be less polite in my interactions. The first levels were a real crawl as I jet packed my way into ceilings and fell down ravines, but I was intrigued and interested enough to keep going.

I liked Elex until I got powerful then the game got boring fast. Once you figure out a way to get past the danger the worlds mystery disappears fast - it's actually pretty boring in the games world, and the reward for being able to survive in it is intense repetition - the bland kind.

There's more than one difficulty level to choose from. I can tell most here played it on Normal. I played on Hard, and it was challenging for a lot longer than just 10-15 hours.

I think were all aware of the options menu and difficulty levels. I played around with different difficulty’s but it doesn’t really matter.

The main thing that makes the combat easy is how easy it is to dodge enemies. Bait the enemy to attack, dodge behind and take a few whacks, repeat. Combine that with progressing slowly, softening enemies with a bow and draw them out so you don’t get stuck fighting more than 1 or 2 at a time. Throw in being able to easily jet pack away from danger if you do make a mistake and get surrounded and combat is quite easy.

The only thing that give the beginning of the game any challenge is that you cant damage most enemies. Once you find a weapon that does some damage combat is pretty easy.

Raising difficulty doesn’t improve AI, it just reduces damage dealt and increases damage taken. If you can dodge most attacks then that doesn’t matter. It just makes encounters take longer. Which is something I don’t want.

It’s not just elex almost all 3rd person action games suffer from this. TW3, AC: odyssey, dragons dogma, even DS and Nioh. Master dodge, parry and/or block depending on what the game offer and combat becomes much easier. If you can dodge an attack and roll behind an enemies and attack in many games you’ll get extra damage or even slo mo is starting to be triggered in some games with a successful dodge. Throw in timing parries and the extra damage there and really things get easy.

Anyway, this isn’t a thread about combat systems so ill stop here. As far as elex, it can definitely be easy as i stated above. Admittedly I didn’t finish the game yet so maybe there’s a difficulty hike further in but if the enemy cant hit me I don’t see how it’ll matter. No 2 persons experience are identical anyway so if you found it challenging throughout that’s not proof that everyone will.

That's stupid. IMO.
When I'm concentrated on a movie or videogame and am ignoring people yelling from another room to come or whatever they call me autist. Never took it as an insult, if their concentration can break easily, the problem is not in me.

Then again, you've noticed it happening in some irrelevant noone heard of mmo. What are you even doing in such company? Pack your bags and move away from the abomination.

I think were all aware of the options menu and difficulty levels. I played around with different difficulty’s but it doesn’t really matter.

The main thing that makes the combat easy is how easy it is to dodge enemies. Bait the enemy to attack, dodge behind and take a few whacks, repeat. Combine that with progressing slowly, softening enemies with a bow and draw them out so you don’t get stuck fighting more than 1 or 2 at a time. Throw in being able to easily jet pack away from danger if you do make a mistake and get surrounded and combat is quite easy.

The only thing that give the beginning of the game any challenge is that you cant damage most enemies. Once you find a weapon that does some damage combat is pretty easy.

Raising difficulty doesn’t improve AI, it just reduces damage dealt and increases damage taken. If you can dodge most attacks then that doesn’t matter. It just makes encounters take longer. Which is something I don’t want.

It’s not just elex almost all 3rd person action games suffer from this. TW3, AC: odyssey, dragons dogma, even DS and Nioh. Master dodge, parry and/or block depending on what the game offer and combat becomes much easier. If you can dodge an attack and roll behind an enemies and attack in many games you’ll get extra damage or even slo mo is starting to be triggered in some games with a successful dodge. Throw in timing parries and the extra damage there and really things get easy.

Anyway, this isn’t a thread about combat systems so ill stop here. As far as elex, it can definitely be easy as i stated above. Admittedly I didn’t finish the game yet so maybe there’s a difficulty hike further in but if the enemy cant hit me I don’t see how it’ll matter. No 2 persons experience are identical anyway so if you found it challenging throughout that’s not proof that everyone will.

I'm not really quite sure what your point was there to be honest. Nobody said it was going to be challenging for everyone.

As far as the different difficulty levels are concerned though, it does matter for most people. Though I can understand how it wouldn't make a big difference for a veteran of the Souls games like yourself.

Raising the difficulty doesn't improve AI in *any* game of this style, or at least if there is one out there where it does I'm not aware of it. I think that's pretty much common knowledge though.

If anyone went into Elex expecting great combat, that was their first mistake. The combat has never been the strong point of PB's games. I found it serviceable, but I was in the long haul mainly for the exploration and ambience.

Well, I don't think there's only live or hate with no middle ground. I certainly liked the game, and it took me a lot more than 15 hours to get to the point where I actually had a powerful character (I went with the Zerkers). I rushed to finish it in the end though, but that's my usual behaviour for games that long.

Biggest pro for me is the progression, where pretty much everything kills you in the beginning, and when you've finally ran, sneaked and jeptacked for a loooong time to progress you get to be on the giving end of butt kicking instead. Great. I also liked the fact it wasn't your usual fantasy fare but a more interesting setting.

I wish there had been more information on the past though, I couldn't be bothered to find every single audio log etc. but really want to know what happened to the world. Perhaps the sequel will enlighten me.

*love or hate

Must be my autism flaring up ;-)

There was a time I could stand to play a game with writing and quest design that poor, but that time is past. Even transcendent gameplay wouldn't cover up shortcomings that drastic, and the gameplay isn't that great here either.

outdated - that's what I was thinking when playing ELEX (for better or worse)

*love or hate

Must be my autism flaring up ;-)

Yeah, I noticed and corrected my mistake. But your quote puts my failure out there for everyone to see, so now I have to leave the internet forever. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom