ELEX - Interview @ Gamingbolt

Risen 3 doesn't have a much smaller game world though. R3 is actually pretty damn big. Also, G3 was a long time ago, and I'm confident that PB has learned from their mistakes.

I'm not sure that's what it is about. PB is very set in their ways, they're simply falling more and more behind others. And whether it's fair or not, they are compared to similar AAA games.
Imo, they should reiterate their design to create a far smaller title and polish the living shit out of it. If it turns out success, invest in new engine and hire a few more people.
Metacritic ratings say only part of the picture here, but the numbers are clear: steady fall from something like 80 or so, to 50 with their last release.
It's pretty clear, continuing as they did in the past, where it will end for them.

Metacritic was a different beast in 2009 when Risen released. Also, the new brand/setting/name of ELEX will be a fresh start.

Risen 3 doesn't have a much smaller game world though. R3 is actually pretty damn big. Also, G3 was a long time ago, and I'm confident that PB has learned from their mistakes.

Some islands in R3 are not that big with large number of NPCs. R3 is big overall but Elex should be definitelly bigger.
I cant argue with that argument about G3, though. I agree.

I won't wait any discounts, it's instabuy game for me.
But if it's betrayal of fans by cloning Ubi's bullshit numerous and useless collectibles, or impossible to irradicate bears(c)Bioware, I'll overspam Steam forum about it more than I did about Skyrim bugs here.

That PB can make games thats a fact.

My biggest problem with their newer releases was always that they could not keep the suspense throug their whole games.

i played every risen for dozen of hours but never finished one of them.

thake the gothic series.
played throu every single one and more than once!

Which open world RPG did keep a good level of suspense all the way through?

You guys are always so negative. ;)
The situation isn't comparable at all to more than 10 years ago, when PB developed Gothic 3. Today open world is industry standard. Several studios, including PB, have stable technology to create BIG worlds on multi-platform and established pipelines for the massive amount of assets necessary to fill the world. For G3 PB had to build new tech and make a game at the same time. So their task is much smaller now.
I'm happy PB can be more creative this time, thanks to this strange scenario. In the end I expect ca. 90-95% standard PB stuff, but the rest can make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom