Fallout 4 - Major Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Polygon reports that Fallout 4 gets a major update:

Fallout 4 is finally getting a next-gen update, just in time for the TV series

PS5 and Xbox Series X players will get 60 frames per second and more on April 25

Conveniently timed following the release of the Fallout TV show, Bethesda has announced that its most recent mainline Fallout game, Fallout 4, will be getting a free next-gen update for PS5 and Xbox Series X.

According to a post on the official Fallout blog on Thursday, console players will finally get a next-gen version of the 2015 game in a native application, which will allow them to play it at up to 60 frames per second when the update goes live on April 25. There will also be quality and performance modes that will allow players to choose between a higher resolution or higher frame rate. If players have the game on older consoles, they'll still receive an update with stability improvements and other fixes.

PC players will also get a free update with next-gen features, including ultrawide monitor support. Plus, interested players can now get Fallout 4 on the Epic Games Store. And for those who have always wanted to play it on the go, the game will be Steam Deck verified.

In addition to next-gen quality of life features, Fallout 4 is also receiving new content, including a quest that features the Enclave, along with Enclave-specific character and weapon skins, that originated in the Creation Club. There's also the new Makeshift Weapon Pack, which allows players to use random objects, like a piggy bank, as weapons, along with Halloween-themed decorations for your Boston-based settlements.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Not really a big update for PC players and it will probably break mods again.

At least it's free and you don't have to buy it again.

While it does contain a small amount of new content, that's not the primary purpose of the update. It was to fix bugs and make it more compatible.

I don't like that it comes just after 2 days Fallout London was supposed to launch. I say 'supposed' since the modders are know discussing what to do, they should reach a decision this weekend. Fallout London is a big deal and those "good thinkers" at Bethesda knew for months it was going to release on April 24. So why not deploy a major update that will break it just a couple of days after it? :rolleyes:

The update wouldn't make me come back, Fallout London will. Eagerly waiting for news from the modders and is they will decide to go on with the launch then I will play offline.

I don't like that it comes just after 2 days Fallout London was supposed to launch. I say 'supposed' since the modders are know discussing what to do, they should reach a decision this weekend. Fallout London is a big deal and those "good thinkers" at Bethesda knew for months it was going to release on April 24. So why not deploy a major update that will break it just a couple of days after it? :rolleyes:

The update wouldn't make me come back, Fallout London will. Eagerly waiting for news from the modders and is they will decide to go on with the launch then I will play offline.
Yes, it's suspect; I've seen the 23rd was set since December (though the date had shifted a few times in the past).

I haven't played the game yet, but it looks like the last official update was in 2017. It's not a special date like an anniversary, either, so why the sudden update?

PS: It was well received in Steam's troll lair. ;)

1713018572719.png

Yeah that would be my guess as well, more to do with the telly release than anything else. It's certainly not because it was the best in series.

So, I just got done fiddling with FO4 it for a bit, and I can safely say this update is a fucking joke. It fixes none of the issues the game has on newer hardware. It's an insult that we waited this long for something so underwhelming.

Bethesda has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, AAA developers when it comes to post-release support of their games.

It... just... works... I'm sure I can hear someone shouting from the cheap seats 😉
Yeah...except it doesn't for a lot of people, and it's becoming embarrassing at this point. The game isn't that old and shouldn't have as many issues as it does. Even Fallout: New Vegas runs better for me.

I have 4000+ hours in FO4 and it runs very well for me and most folks I know who play it. I mean its hardly bug free but its very playable and has been for a while.

I have 4000+ hours in FO4 and it runs very well for me and most folks I know who play it. I mean its hardly bug free but its very playable and has been for a while.
Right, but most of those hours were on your older rigs. It ran ok for me as well prior to upgrading to my new system.

I'm sure it depends on your hardware, but if you go on the Steam forum, you'll see a LOT of people with major issues.

I can't even get into the game without having to hit Alt-Tab multiple times and trying to click on it as it cycles through multiple programs because it starts minimized and stuck to my taskbar, and that's only the beginning.

Besides, how does an update that they've been talking about for two years add so little? That alone raises an eyebrow for me.

*Edit* I guess I should wait until the update is actually released before criticizing it. There was an 800+mb download for FO4 yesterday on Steam, and for some reason I thought that was the update before remembering that it's getting released on the 25th. I suppose there's a chance the update actually fixes a lot of these issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Damn you Bethesda I hate you right now. 🤬
Fallout: London, like many Fallout 4 mods, relies on the Fallout 4 script extender. That'll be what breaks when the next-gen update comes out, and every mod that relies on it will have to wait for the team of modders behind it to update that framework before they can finalize their own mod compatibility. Which is why Fallout: London no longer has a release date.

Another issue Fallout: London has faced is due to its size, which is "currently standing at around 30 to 40 GB." That makes it too big for the console version of Fallout 4, and too big for Nexus Mods. "We have tried to work with them to get it out," Carter says, "but unfortunately the mod's just too big. They can't host it on their website." Fortunately GOG stepped in and has apparently solved the problem. "We've had some conversations with the technical boffins over at GOG," Carter says, "and we now have a viable way to make the mod available for anyone who owns the mod on GOG, and Steam, and perhaps even Epic Games once this new update from Bethesda comes out."

It's not all bad news. "On the technical front, being able to play Fallout: London with the new potential engine improvements and the performance upgrades is fantastic," Carter says. "It's gonna mean that we can push the engine even harder than we've already pushed it, so we're gonna get these great quality-of-life improvements all in the mod."

Carter finishes by explaining that the team can no longer promise a specific release date for Fallout London. "As soon as we've fixed it, it'll drop," he says, before sighing, "but yeah, Bethesda. Bethesda never changes."

Right, but most of those hours were on your older rigs. It ran ok for me as well prior to upgrading to my new system.

I'm sure it depends on your hardware, but if you go on the Steam forum, you'll see a LOT of people with major issues.

I can't even get into the game without having to hit Alt-Tab multiple times and trying to click on it as it cycles through multiple programs because it starts minimized and stuck to my taskbar, and that's only the beginning.

Besides, how does an update that they've been talking about for two years add so little? That alone raises an eyebrow for me.

*Edit* I guess I should wait until the update is actually released before criticizing it. There was an 800+mb download for FO4 yesterday on Steam, and for some reason I thought that was the update before remembering that it's getting released on the 25th. I suppose there's a chance the update actually fixes a lot of these issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ah, okay. It does run okay on my new rig as well but clearly it isn't happy with all systems. I haven't tried to install any updates/patches yet though and haven't played it since DD2 came out. What you describe sounds horrible. Have you tried either full screen exclusive or window borderless? On my previous PC I played window borderless using ENB, as otherwise I ran into issues, but that was more because of ENB. Still in some games I find how I run it can make a huge difference. If the options exist anyhow. I would guess you have explored all your options though as your more game savvy than I am.

But if so many others are having issues then seems more universal. My groups of discord and Nexus friends haven't had any complaints at least but I know that is a very microscopic number of users :p

It's a shame it impacts London beyond their ability to fix internally, but they seem hopeful that it will be at most one-month delay. Could have been worse, and at least that will cause the release to not overlap with Eiyuden Chronicles, but indeed; "Bethesda... Bethesda never changes."

Speaking about F4, god damn this is stupid.

That Emil dude really needs to get a grip. He's behaving like god with the fallout canon.
It's kind of hilarious that whatever whims the guy has suddenly becomes official history.
And this is in whose safe-keeping the treasured lore of Fallout currently happens to be?

Also, I'm not familiar at all with the Fallout 4 main character, but does it even make sense time-wise?
Can a dude from the Fallout 1 timeline be age appropriate to also be the protagonist in Fallout 4?
This is so stupid ...

1713096002082.png

EDIT: it's also hilarious to show up and say you wanted to share a cool fallout tidbit, when you're the one that just made it up.
Again, so stupid ... it's like having an excitable 10 year old making up lore as it goes.
In the voice of a 10 year old child: "And then they flew to the moon, and killed everyone. So powerful. So cool. Boom-boom, bam-bam. "

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom