Fallout 4 - Nuka World Review

Yeah, Gothic 1&2 are definitely not outdated in most aspects, and they're still superior to most newer open-world games imo.

I agree. The first 2 Gothic games have some incredibly clever ideas that still haven't been duplicated or matched in a modern RPG (other than perhaps the Risen series, but, it's a PB series after all).

I know I've said this a million times, but it is actually quite amazing to me that RPG developers other than PB don't actively take some of the ideas from the first 2 Gothic games and implement them in a modern RPG. I mean, how many RPGs can you name that have a design like the first Gothic game? Quick example, the deadly forest next to the starting road in the game. The NPCs hunting on the outskirts of the forest tell you how dangerous it is, and they actually mean it! Enemies in that forest can one or two-shot kill you, and it's literally right next to the starting level 1 area. That still just blows my mind.

Exactly Fluent, that's the danger I'm missing in contemporary RPG's, especially the AAA ones. Killing a Dragon at level 3 in Skyrim kind of ruined the gave for me, that's just silly. Would have been alot better if all you could manage at level 3 was to stay out of Dragons way, and not be able to kill it until much much later.

And I'm not saying the Gothics are unplayable, they're still great. But I couldn't replay the older Might and Magic games today, nor the Wizardrys. My loss probably.

And I'm not saying the Gothics are unplayable, they're still great. But I couldn't replay the older Might and Magic games today, nor the Wizardrys. My loss probably.

I can still play M&M VI and above, but that's my limit. I really wish someone would remake the older ones because I know they're great games. They're just too dated for me.

I was never a big fan of Wizardry though with the exception of Wiz 8 which I think is fantastic.

Exactly Fluent, that's the danger I'm missing in contemporary RPG's, especially the AAA ones. Killing a Dragon at level 3 in Skyrim kind of ruined the gave for me, that's just silly. Would have been alot better if all you could manage at level 3 was to stay out of Dragons way, and not be able to kill it until much much later.

Your Skyrim example is a perfect example and explains what I'm trying to say. That didn't ruin the game for me, per say, but it does show the typical modern design. Every new RPG that comes out seems to have to raise the stakes very early in the game. It's almost as if the developers are insecure about their content that they have you killing dragons literally an hour or two into the game, or closing an Oblivion gate at level 1, etc. etc.

There is also a point to be made about the overall stakes in an RPG. In Gothic, dragons are very tough enemies. You don't start out killing them. In fact, the first chicken-bird-dinosaur (Scavenger, I know. :p) that you see might kill you! And how about the hunting NPCs that teach you to draw out one bird from the flock to kill them individually. Seems like a small detail, but if you rush the pack at early level you will be Scavenger food! The stakes start out much lower in a game like Gothic but there is an awesome sense of progression as you get stronger. Even one piece of armor can literally make a life and death difference. I could go on and on but I'm sure you guys all know this stuff. I just like posting this in hopes that some would-be RPG designer reads this and takes it as a clue or something.

I can still play M&M VI and above, but that's my limit. I really wish someone would remake the older ones because I know they're great games. They're just too dated for me.

I was never a big fan of Wizardry though with the exception of Wiz 8 which I think is fantastic.

I don't really have a limit as to which old RPGs I can play. I love playing ancient games. I would play more of them but it usually requires a much larger investment as you actually have to read the manual, etc. That's not a bad thing, but it just takes a lot of time and lately I've been focused on other things besides gaming.

Back
Top Bottom