Fallout 4 - Todd Howard Presents...

Voice protagonist will suck for quest mods in FO4; every time you run into an unvoiced bit, it will take you out of the game because of its stark contrast with the rest of the world/illusion.

And, at the risk of repeating what's been stated in hundreds of forums ever since the inception of voice acting in games: lack of a protagonist's voice leads to more investment in that character. All other things being equal, which affects a person more: a book or a movie?

All other things being equal, which affects a person more: a book or a movie?

They can both affect a person equally.

Sometimes movies based on books never live up to their source material but this is due to issues with transferring one medium to another. A great movie cannot be turned into a great book as well.

Voice protagonist will suck for quest mods in FO4; every time you run into an unvoiced bit, it will take you out of the game because of its stark contrast with the rest of the world/illusion.

Are you saying quest mods with unvoiced NPCs suck in FO3 and Skyrim? Because I don't agree. Not if the quest mods are good.

Besides, quest mods are such a tiny portion of what makes mods cool.

And, at the risk of repeating what's been stated in hundreds of forums ever since the inception of voice acting in games: lack of a protagonist's voice leads to more investment in that character. All other things being equal, which affects a person more: a book or a movie?

I'm more affected by movies in general.

But it's a useless comparison. Books and movies are not interactive - and they have so much more going on than just characters.

Also, you should be asking whether audio books or books affect people more. It doesn't make much sense, sorry.

If you're asking me whether I invest more into Geralt than I do in some random TES character of my own making - then Geralt is the clear answer when it comes to the story and making me care about what goes on in the world.

That's Geralt, which isn't just a voiced character - but a predefined character.

We're talking about a character of my own making that's given a voice - much like Mass Effect.

I never had the slightest problem getting into my own character in ME or his actions - even if it wasn't my own voice in my head.

Ummm, turn the voices off in options and just read the subtitles if it bothers you. Since this is still the creation engine, we could have Fluent voice all of the main character's lines :)

Ummm, turn the voices off in options and just read the subtitles if it bothers you. Since this is still the creation engine, we could have Fluent voice all of the main character's lines :)

That would be…interesting.

I'll play this and I'll probably like it, although I'm definitely in the camp that prefers the older Fallouts. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the new ones (especially NV which I found better than FO3 in pretty much everything. Didn't play in on release though so I was probably spared alot of bugs).

Last edited:
Well, since it is the same engine yet again, maybe we'll have less bugs. They've been working on this since 2009, so hopefully 6 years is long enough for even Bethesda to get it right.

The tricky part about voicing the main character in this kind of game is that some players may not like the voice, if it isn't absolute first class, or just for taste reasons. Like, the guy who voices the new Deus Ex games, personally I can't stand his voice, so that is one major reason the games don't appeal to me.

I agree about the voice actor who does Geralt in Witcher 3 though, he is phenomenal.

When I play predefined hero, fully voiced protagonist is ok. Especially if there are many cutscenes and shorter dialogues.
But If I create my own character in text-heavy game like isometric RPG, I prefer silent hero. Voice acting could be too slow and distracting in long dialogues and I prefer to hear my voice in my head.

The tricky part about voicing the main character in this kind of game is that some players may not like the voice, if it isn't absolute first class, or just for taste reasons. Like, the guy who voices the new Deus Ex games, personally I can't stand his voice, so that is one major reason the games don't appeal to me.

I agree about the voice actor who does Geralt in Witcher 3 though, he is phenomenal.

I did feel some pity for the voice actor who has to spout all 1,000 of the most likely character names. Yeesh. Zorba and Zoey are going to sound pretty exhausted…

Back
Top Bottom