Fallout: New Vegas - Review Flood #3

I have a couple of games to finish, so I will wait on buying this - also I am with JDR, its usually profitable to wait through a couple of patches, and with Bethsoft games, also for a couple of good mods. Either way, I am very excited reading about the reception it's getting. Somehow I had low hopes for it.

What if they didn't use Washington, but Berlin instead ?

Or Athens ? Or London ? Or Rome ?

So, it looks as if it was rather a "U.S. game".

Fallout has always largely been based on Americana. You could likely do a game based on a similar premise somewhere else, but it wouldn't really be Fallout. It would mean changing the aesthetic completely, heck, considering the game it's based on AMERICAN B sci-fi, you could argue that even the lore would have to be changed to accommodate to a different vision of post-apocalypse.

Sometimes you honestly go a little too far with the anti-US rhetoric Alrik.

The sad thing is that are other members here who are far worse with the anti-US stuff, especially a particular Scandinavian who I'll decline to name….

No, I'm not talking about the over-opinionated one. ;)

Yes, I do. Because I'm patriotic. ;)

And it's not necessarily anti-U.S. , but in my view rather a language/culture thing.
If there was another country as dominant in terms of gaming, then I'd argue against it. Because I'm against domination as a principle.

My greatest problem seems to be that I'm over?analysing EVERYTHING.

But I can't help myself, because THINKING is what I always did, throughout my life. I even attended the Philosophy class at school (for Germans : Abiturfächer : Philosophie, Religion, Biologie, Englisch, although not in this order).

One way I like to use in looking at a game's popularity, is to look at a site that talks about everything and see how much FNV is being discussed. I typically use the Quarter to Three forums for this purpose. I've got to say I was mildly shocked to see 88 pages in the main release thread about FNV. This is despite the fact that Tom Chick, the reviewer for the site, absolutely hated the game because of bugs he encountered. It also seems the pirates are either having trouble with, or don't care to get the patches from Steam. The pirated version is buggy as hell and, unfortunately, this leaks over into a bad rep for Obsidian. Still, the game is selling like hotcakes and now that a few patches are out, the cautious folks are starting to buy it too.

Yes, I do. Because I'm patriotic. ;)

And it's not necessarily anti-U.S. , but in my view rather a language/culture thing.
If there was another country as dominant in terms of gaming, then I'd argue against it. Because I'm against domination as a principle.

My greatest problem seems to be that I'm over?analysing EVERYTHING.
That might all be true, but from where I am sitting it has nothing to do with any of that. You appear to be negatively biased towards anything US related. Performing any analysis using that as a basis is bound to give you the same conclusion every time.

Back
Top Bottom