Folks who like crafting, do you like how PoE2 does it? Other games?

emptyfortress

Watcher
As stated elsewhere as a player I'm just not that interested in crafting. I'll play with the crafting system in a game for maybe 5-10 minutes in a 80 hours playthrough and then not touch it anymore (unless required by a quest of course).

As a (hobby) designer though I'm curious about it. I like Pillars of Eternity 2's take on it because it's out of the way but it's there for those who want it and it seems to have a bit of depth? (Like I said I haven't played with it much but it seemed a more fun side activity than, say, ship combat). So, folks who like crafting, do you like PoE2's version? If not, what's missing? And what other crpgs do you think have good crafting systems?

PoE2 is one of the few games with a deep crafting system that isn't tedious, and that mostly has to do with the UI, and the fact that you have infinite inventory space .

The biggest accomplishment of POE2's crafting system is giving every single unique weapon and chestpiece in the game multiple exclusive upgrades. I don't think people appreciate how impressive that is for a game with hundreds of unique items.

YUWMHeh.jpg

If I had to make one complaint, it's that spending money to craft doesn't make sense.

The greatest achievement of POE2's making framework is giving each and every novel weapon and chestpiece in the game different restrictive updates. I don't think individuals acknowledge how noteworthy that is for a game with several interesting things.

PoE2 did many things well, and the overall product benefited greatly. The crafting in PoE2 really reminded me of how it's done in EQ2, for me that resonated well and made the crafting not a chore, but something to be explored and enjoyed.

Heyoo thanks for necoring a two year old thread guys.:p

Last edited:
Pah, I necro'd one older than that to talk about Trails of Cold Steel.

Crafting systems can be fun for me *IF* there is some sort of skill to it. Far too often, they are just mindless clicking. Five A's make a B. Create five B's and you can now make a C out of five B's (which have now started to drop off critters you fight). Then five C's to make a D and on and on it goes. Then you'll get recipes for how to make weapons and armor from those things. Exceptionally cruel versions of crafting will stick a progress bar up to slow down how quickly you can craft things.

They can be made a lot more interesting if you're allowed to vary the recipes and get something that makes some sort of sense. Pour in some fire resistance potions and the boots resist fire. Replace the eog with mithril and the helmet is only +3 instead of +5 but magic users can use it now. Do it right and your game will only need a few recipes to establish the basics then your users can figure out the rest.

Making a limited supply can make it more engaging, too, as you have to pick what things get the "cool juice." (Though publishers looking to nickel & dime the players like to abuse that sort of system.)

I generally will not revive a older thread myself, but if someone asks questions or provides interesting commentary, I'll respond. I try to put myself in the same situation, and I know I'd like another voice or three to chime in.

You all violated forum decorum and I demand a duel at sunset.:cool:

Nah I prefer a pistol.:p

This is a European board, hand guns are not going to be allowed! Swords have been done to death. Have we got three spetums lying around?

Plektrums ?

I liked the crafting in Drakensang 2. It was the first game I saw crafting in (I don't play many RPGs per year).

To my shame, I didn't play POE2 so far through, because I wanted to play POE1 before that, but that game has such an dark and morbid beginning I just couldn't pull myself into playing more of it (I'm still stuck in the starter town).

Grimdark/"dark & gritty" games sink down in my playing list pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom