Forspoken - Launch Trailer

Forspoken review: Already on borrowed time - VG 24/7
In the cut-throat race for your attention, Forspoken feels like a new IP that’s trying to run full pelt alongside heavy-hitting franchises from other big publishers. But it ploughs, shin-first, through every hurdle along the way. Its stuttering start belies a combat system that’s worth investing the effort to learn, but takes so long to get up to full speed that it’s already on borrowed time.

You probably haven't then, because learning about Forspoken generally tends to create a strong feeling of disgust and loathing.
That's over the top.

Based on the premise, the reviews, and what I experienced first hand in the demo, I have no interest in playing Forspoken. But some of the comments about it here have veered into weird territory, imo.

Plenty of games deserved this 5-6 and they gave 8-9, but oh look many hate the game and they jumped the hate train.

About the writing and dialogue, I did see a good point being made on twitter.
While it's definitely not great dialogue, this is the sort of dialogue you see in your generic Marvel movie. Just stupid short quips and one-liners.
So it is a bit hypocritical. Though it might be that, that sort of modern humor is not really working in a fantasy setting.

Anyway, while I don't really see much to be interested in the game (seems like they took a generic kitchen-sink approach to it) it is sad to see a hate train developing and most everyone seems to jump on it.

I don't see an issue with pointing out that a bad game is bad.
Nothing wrong with that, it's even generally required to ensure quality filters.
But there is also no denying that some games seem to get a whole lot more of it than other games.

Seems like there is usually a critical mass of negativity that is reached after which almost everyone likes to jump on.
I think it's more of a societal observation than anything. I guess part of everyone's need to feel like belong.
Then there's the outliers that take the opposite position, sometimes for good reason. Other times just to be contrarians.
And then there's the middle-grounders that notice this and decide on a measured approach.

But I guess I'm not saying anything new. Most people already observe this, I guess.
I just find it interesting how this happens.

I do like the thought of what would happen if we could have all of these opinions gathered in isolation, so that we do not affect one another.

I'm not sure if you're talking about The Watch or in the media in general. If it's the former then I have to disagree. Not that many people have even commented on this game. If it's the latter, maybe, but it possibly deserves it.

I'm not sure if you're talking about The Watch or in the media in general. If it's the former then I have to disagree. Not that many people have even commented on this game. If it's the latter, maybe, but it possibly deserves it.
Definitely not the Watch. The media and the public in general.
It's a real weird mix of financial motivations, and negativity usually sells the most and garners the most attention. So you have that.
Then you have media that's financially incentivized to not be negative, since their livelihood depends on access that these companies grant.
Then the general public which has their own biases, both individually and as a group.
Mix it all and you spit out something really weird.

As I said, I'd be really curious to have all of these opinions in isolation. I'd be an interesting experiment I think, if it could be done somehow.

Back
Top Bottom