Forum Bug Reports and Feature Requests - XenForo 2.2

If you do it in that order then that is exactly what happens.
Let's explain the logic of it.
First: Any thread that you did not read before the move will not behave as it should. Even if there are new posts in it from after the move. It only works with threads you have completely read after the move and after reading them will have new posts. The reason for this is that the information on threads you did or did not read and at what point is not transferred properly. One way to solve this is to reset things and just mark everything as read.
Secondly: Only with threads that are read by you after the move and after that show up with new posts in them, clicking the title of the thread brings you to the first unread post.
Clicking on a thread title with no new posts in it, will bring you to the first post in the thread.

(...)
Secondly: Only with threads that are read by you after the move and after that show up with new posts in them, clicking the title of the thread brings you to the first unread post.
You mean: by clicking the title of the thread with new posts when I'm on the home page should take me to the last unread post? Or this happens only when I'm navigating thru the Forum menu ?
Clicking on a thread title with no new posts in it, will bring you to the first post in the thread.
Could this be easily changed? Would you, please?

Ratio of pictures are incorrect when they are scaled down because of their height. That makes them look weird. It's apparently OK if they're scaled down because of their width.

EDIT: Occurs with Chrome, not with Edge (strangely), and not with Firefox... :( I've reported the issue but I wouldn't expect any fix soon.

For example, this screenshot was too high so it was scaled down:
In the post just above, here, the screenshot has been scaled down because it was too wide:

Scaling down the forums also scales down the front news page - and their native sizing is each vastly different.

You mean: by clicking the title of the thread with new posts when I'm on the home page should take me to the last unread post? Or this happens only when I'm navigating thru the Forum menu ?
As long as you have made sure that the thread was read by you once after the move, both will do that. The difference is just that on the home page only the thread with the most recent post is visible

Could this be easily changed? Would you, please?
Why? You already have the option to jump to the last post by clicking on the link with how long ago the last post was. By changing the thread link to the same behavior, there is no option left to jump to the first post. As it is now you have both options.

I am pretty sure I am not communicating well. When I am on home page I was never directed to the last existing unread post.

Eg. this very thread. I read it all, I am even making posts here as you can see. But when you answer them (and I see on home page that the last post was yours), I click the link there (on home page) and I am led to first page first comment.

Notes:
1) I already allowed cookies;
2) I am using Firefox, though I doubt this is browser-related;
3) I clicked Mark Forums Read (twice already)
4) When I am on Forums menu, I can see the forum's links have the suffix '/unread' added to them (see below)

Forum.jpg

5) When I am on home page this doesn't happen (see below):
home_page.jpg

That's why I asked if this could be changed/tweaked somehow. Because what you're trying to tell me, to teach me, isn't working here, and I don't know why.

I even ask: is this only happening to me? Anyone else?

If you click on that link, even if you have already read the thread, it should just bring you to that post. I'm using Firefox and it works as I mentioned it. So that is weird and I also would be interested to learn if someone else has the same issue.

Thanks for the good work to all people involved!

A small observation, which is not a real problem, but may help other people, who encounter this:

I use to start directly with a bookmark linking to unread posts.

In the past this link was:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
This leads to a broken page for me now.

However, that is not a real problem, it works again, if I use the following link:

By the way: The editor here make a link from the first URL automatically, but not from the second one, for what reason ever... Edit: After sending my reply it made a link...

Last edited:
Like others have noted here and in other threads, I'm frankly astonished at the sheer speed rate we seem to enjoy now. Thanks so much for not only a new site yet this one also seems zoom-speedy terrific!

Is that why some bald guy with a painted face has been wandering around, looking for "Boo"?? ;)

If you click on that link, even if you have already read the thread, it should just bring you to that post. I'm using Firefox and it works as I mentioned it. So that is weird and I also would be interested to learn if someone else has the same issue.
On the old watch we had an option to go to the oldest unread post in a thread (a small right arrow ner the thread name if I remember correctly). For me that is much more important than being able to go to the last post in a thread. I didn't see that here or did I miss something?

Edit: Sorry, clicking on the thread title seems to that.

Yes; when the thread title is bolded, it has new posts in it since your last check and clicking on the title will go to the first unread post.

When the thread has no new replies since your last read, the title will be a regular, non-bolded link.

The bold as "new" indicator is applied on the forum index to the names of the forums as well. There's also the yellow colour on the speech cloud icons to indicate new posts in the forum, but it should be a bit more pronounced to make it clearer that there's new content there.

URLs of the main page don't target the unread posts

See henriquejr's last post:
but in the home page links I am still directed to thread's first page first comment.

I can reproduce the same problem @Myrthos, it's only about the other pages than the forums.

I suggest to add "/unread" to all the forum thread URLs, in the non-forum pages. The effect is to
  • jump to the first post (as before) when opening the URL for the first time
  • jump to the first unread post, skipping the read ones, when opening the URL again
  • jump to the last post when all posts have already been read
which is the desired effect.

Relevant links worth fixing, relative to https://www.rpgwatch.com:
  • front page (/), in News Watch
  • front page (/) in Forum Watch
  • "Comments (..)" on the front page for the featured articles
  • "Comments (..)" on the front page for the news (when scrolling down)
  • news article pages (/#\d+), for the URL "Comments (..)" at the bottom
  • other article pages (/articles/.+), "Add / View Comments (..)"
  • game pages (/games/.+), "Add / View Comments (..)"
  • (thankfully, no comments on other database items I think)
1658304914327.png

Last edited:
Strange URLs in games that don't have comments yet

The "Add / View Comments (0)" URL of games that don't have a comment yet leads to the same page - the page of the game. It probably means we can't comment because the thread hasn't been created (on purpose or by accident?).

The "Add / View Comments (..)" is fine when there are comments, except "/unread" should be added as mentioned in my previous post.

Examples:

EDIT: by extension, could that happen to the articles too? Apparently it's fine for the news.

I must say, I wouldn't be against a density a little closer to the old website either.
The zoom does that partly, but it reduces the width at the same time so it doesn't seem to be the best option.
I don't know if that's the font, or its size, or the line spacing, it's probably a mix of all that. On the other hand, it's easier to read. :)
It sounds like it's already on the to-do list, but after using the new forum for a day or so now, gotta agree with this. The worst is when you're looking at the list of threads in a forum...the font is too big, and there's too much blank vertical spacing above and below each thread title, so the number of threads visible on your screen at once is pretty limited.

It sounds like it's already on the to-do list, but after using the new forum for a day or so now, gotta agree with this. The worst is when you're looking at the list of threads in a forum...the font is too big, and there's too much blank vertical spacing above and below each thread title, so the number of threads visible on your screen at once is pretty limited
The font size looks quite normal to me on 100%.
This is what it looks like when I typed the above.
post.jpg

Strange URLs in games that don't have comments yet

The "Add / View Comments (0)" URL of games that don't have a comment yet leads to the same page - the page of the game. It probably means we can't comment because the thread hasn't been created (on purpose or by accident?).
Oh right. I forgot to do those.

Back
Top Bottom