Gamescom - Vampyr, ELEX, The Guild 3 and Battle Chasers @ RPG Codex

And on next February they'll be writing about the N7th Day 2016.
Stay tuned!

Anyone wants to place bets on how many they gets canceled interviews? :p

Edit...didn't see it, dammit, they already got the interviews. Actually pretty interesting, but expected more bite from them.

Last edited:
Vampyr is one to expect as it is supposed to provide a new direction to storytelling, that is going to be closer to what video products used to offer.

The narration is expected to be brought over two layers: one is regular, a scripted story as it came to prevail, the other is the old way, the story is shaped by the player's actions, the story is what the player does.

It is a new tendency in video products: going back to the roots, going back to the story telling brought by masterpieces like Super Mario Bros, and leaving less room to scenarios written by a third person.

Players are going to write their own story as they used to.

going back to the story telling brought by masterpieces like Super Mario Bros

giphy.gif

You missed the thread - the topic isn't Tyranny. :p
I mean… The statement you quoted deserves a more extreme reaction than that gif. :evilgrin:

Out of this group i am looking forward to Vampyr and The Guild 3. I'm still not sure what to think about ELEX. One moment i am excited about it. And the next moment, meh!

I'm still not sure what to think about ELEX. One moment i am excited about it. And the next moment, meh!

That's because at first you are cool more Gothic 1 and 2 gameplay, but then you remember that the formula is 15 years old and Gothic 3, Risen, Risen 2 and Risen 3 released afterward...

Out of this group i am looking forward to Vampyr and The Guild 3. I'm still not sure what to think about ELEX. One moment i am excited about it. And the next moment, meh!

Eh, I'm expecting something closer to Risen I, though feeling lot more outdated. They really have to win back their old player base ( if most are still alive :p), even if they ( probably) can't quite reach the same level.
It's puzzling why they still keep the same Risen II/III style of combat though.

Anyone wants to place bets on how many they gets canceled interviews? :p

Edit…didn't see it, dammit, they already got the interviews. Actually pretty interesting, but expected more bite from them.
Bubbles is very mellow as far as average codexers go.

You missed the thread - the topic isn't Tyranny. :p
I mean… The statement you quoted deserves a more extreme reaction than that gif. :evilgrin:

SMB was used as a reference by the guy who gave the interview.

That's because at first you are cool more Gothic 1 and 2 gameplay, but then you remember that the formula is 15 years old and Gothic 3, Risen, Risen 2 and Risen 3 released afterward…

Well the TES formula is older than that, yet people are still loving it despite the fact that it has actually regressed in many areas.

And Risen 1 is actually a pretty similar formula to Gothic 1 & 2. Risen 2 is a bit different but not completely foreign and still a very good game overall.

15 years old or not, the design of Gothic 1 & 2 is still excellent and as I've said before I'm shocked that more RPG developers didn't make worlds similar to what Piranha Bytes was doing. Lots of great ideas to be studied in those first 2 Gothic games...

I think Risen 2&3 catch more flak than they deserve. Still, there's no doubt they didn't quite capture the same feeling as Gothic 1&2 or Risen 1. I can't blame PB for wanting to try something different, but they could have done a lot of things better. Hopefully they can recapture that old magic with ELEX.

It's puzzling why they still keep the same Risen II/III style of combat though.
I'm not sure if that's the case with ELEX. I haven't watched enough footage to get much of a feel for the combat, and the devs have mentioned that the mechanics are far from finished at this point. Compared to the Risen games, I'd say it looks more similar overall to Risen 1 than the sequels.

They mentioned in the interview changing the combat based on feedback, but is that from what may or may not be Risen II/III inspired combat, or to it? Guess based on the general feel of the interview it might be the former? Well, guess we will have to see...

From the list the one I'm most eager to play is The Guild 3. Funny they said it's not really an RPG when it's probably the most RPG of the list to me.

Bubbles is very mellow as far as average codexers go.

You're all a bit mellow, to be honest.
Oh I know you guys like to call one another faggot and talk about each other's mothers, but it always seemed like a sign of affection you have for one another. :p

I'm not sure if that's the case with ELEX. I haven't watched enough footage to get much of a feel for the combat, and the devs have mentioned that the mechanics are far from finished at this point. Compared to the Risen games, I'd say it looks more similar overall to Risen 1 than the sequels.

Eh, wouldn't rest my hope on it. Probably will slightly improve animations at best and balance the whole thing a bit, but to me seems very Risen three-ish.
Really need to ditch this engine, either I'm crazy but Gothic III looked better (in some places).

Why do I get a KotOR vibe off Elex must be the UI

Back
Top Bottom