GOG - Galaxy in Open Beta

Drugs do make me feel good but I don't go around taking them for the obvious reasons and find other things to make me feel good :p
Lot of people do take drugs, if only to let them fall asleep or feel less pain (those are drugs as well and can be addictive).

Doesn't really matter what makes you feel good if you feel good, does it?
… says the drug addict. It's not about how you feel about it, it's about how people who don't want to be forced to take the drug think.
I'm afraid your interpretation of what Windows 8 was isn't my interpretation.
Doesn't matter whether you think the same or not. The whole MS strategy at that time regarding their systems - Windows and XBox One - was to close them off (in case of XBox One it was to extend the closde-off system to other areas) and get similar dream
revenues as Apple with their captive audience. They just failed.
Your speculation doesn't really change that it's a dominant platform that doesn't meet your doom and gloom prediction for all monopolies in the world.
*shrug*
That's basic economics. Monopolies are bad because you depend on their whims and they destroy the free market. Depending on the good will of a single person is a bad situation to be in if there isn't any alternative anymore to go if that person changes their mind or gets replaced.

You could use the same argumentation as you do to justify a dictatorship. "They give me work and a roof over my head and make me feel good". That always works out just great.

See definition of cartel.

Don't bring sensible economics into this! Anyway, well said. Competition is good. Multiple platforms is good. We do NOT want them getting together and trying to work together "for the good of users".

And truthfully, I no longer mind Steam, Origin, UPlay, and soon Galaxy. I have them all and they each serve their purpose. They all work just fine these days. What I do mind is the terrible business practices of certain companies like EA, Ubisoft, Warner Bros, Square at times, and so on. But that's a different issue.

To see where this is headed check the "Witcher 3 - Retail FAQ"-Thread.

I still can't believe that there are peope who willingly submit their computers to the power of a gaming cloud. But who am I, who does not understand why someone buys an iPhone instead of an Android device. Or uses iTunes.

The day the use of an application launcher/DRM-scheme cannot be circumvented by using an at least semi-legal way to run a COMPUTER GAME (it's not the NYSE system software for X-sake) is the day I stop buying new games.

And I will enjoy my back catalogue 'till the day I die. Go figure, CDProjekt Red.

So, my client just auto-updated from 0.7.0.860 to 1.0.0.871. I didn't notice anything new aside from a few newly added games.

… says the drug addict. It's not about how you feel about it, it's about how people who don't want to be forced to take the drug think.

I'm not aware of anyone being forced to buy Macs - and I don't really see how the drug analogy applies here.

Drugs don't make you feel good, only in the beginning.

As far as I know, Mac owners don't end up feeling bad.

Maybe you don't understand my point, but I guess it's not important.

Doesn't matter whether you think the same or not. The whole MS strategy at that time regarding their systems - Windows and XBox One - was to close them off (in case of XBox One it was to extend the closde-off system to other areas) and get similar dream revenues as Apple with their captive audience. They just failed.

Interesting theory that still doesn't convince.

Maybe you have proof?

*shrug*
That's basic economics. Monopolies are bad because you depend on their whims and they destroy the free market. Depending on the good will of a single person is a bad situation to be in if there isn't any alternative anymore to go if that person changes their mind or gets replaced.

Sounds more like paranoia based on nightmare scenarios. If the mind is changed, consumers will simply prevent the monopoly from existing.

Monopoly does not mean permanent monopoly. Smart people will want to please consumers, so they can hold on to it.

You could use the same argumentation as you do to justify a dictatorship. "They give me work and a roof over my head and make me feel good". That always works out just great.

Yes, and I could use your argumentation to condemn democracy. "It's the natural way that they end up being bad for you - just because I say so."

That's just great :)

@DArtagnan: I feel stupid for having to explain to someone why monopolies are bad, except in intransparent markets. That's basic economics. Nearly all developed economies have laws to fight them. You also seem to reduce monopolies to their consumer effects, but they have a stranglehold over the producer side too, which tends to be forgotten.

But as you don't seem to see any intrinsic value of democracy over a dictatorship either, I'll not waste any more words on a hopeless case.

Installed Galaxy a few days ago. This is so much better than before..

Another wall of text war looming...

Alright, installed the client and imported my old Witcher EE and Gothic 3 installations just fine. Works like a charm.

I still have a PST installation sitting here, but it is modded, so I'm hesitant to import that in Galaxy too. Anyone have any experience with that yet?

Back
Top Bottom