Greedfall - Sold One Million & Getting New Content

Well, I think I'll need to buy it, then. ;)
It looks dark, but also interesting in setting.

Well, I think I'll need to buy it, then. ;)
It looks dark, but also interesting in setting.

IIRC, it's not very combat heavy, and a lot of the combat that is there is with non-sentient bugs and such. There are peaceful solutions to a lot of the quests. In that sense, it might be up your alley.

Eh? Greedfall doesn't have much in common with anything from Piranha Bytes. To me, it's much closer to Bioware but with lower production values. Semi-open maps, 3 character party, etc.

Meh it was a vast improvement over their past games. Still many interviews and reviews did label this game as a BioWare lite RPG. It just had the usual quirks I hate as well.

Mostly the constant back-tracking to previous areas to pad the game length.

For what it's worth I loved this game myself. I really enjoyed the combat, especially the magic path, and the story and characters were fantastic. Lots of twists and turns. One of my top 10 games played. Also a very cool and unique setting.

The only thing I didn't like was re-used assets and back-tracking. They are a lower budget company though so that wasn't a surprise overall on the assets. At least there were some ways to fast travel.

Very nice looking game overall - nice enough to do screenshots of and got some good ones.

For those that play Spiders' (the French studio that is) games, Greedfall is a bit of a turning point. They've been making budget RPG titles for a decade now and Greedfall is a major attempt at reaching the next level, somewhere between budget and AAA. So the game is longer and less linear, with larger maps to explore. Like Silver said, approaching Bioware but not there yet.
Exactly. That's what made Spider's (not Greedfall) somewhat special for me.

It's an ambitious game for a smaller studio and hopefully something they can follow up on.
Yeah, but they couldn't. Or didn't want to. Their currently developed game (Steelrising) is a turn in another direction (which I don't like).

They tried something different with Greedfall and I enjoyed the beginning of the game. I could not finish the game and after around 25 hours, I lost interest. D&D monsters have spoiled me and I didn't care for the combat or the creatures. The maps and environment were well done.

I was kind of surprised by their swerve into Steel Rising. The were clearly making the style of RPGs Bioware used to make, now that they're no longer interested in doing so. They were improving with each effort, from pretty amateurish stuff to a solid game with Greedfall. They were becoming known to the RPG audience for doing that, and I reckon their next game in that vein would have got plenty of attention. This seems like the wrong move, to me.

Last edited:
This seems like the wrong move, to me.
Yep, agreed. I mean… perhaps they don't care for sales and revenue and just want to do what they like to do. That's ok of course, but I think the better strategy would be to get big enough as a devloper that you could produce more than one game at a time. With one game you could go the (more or less) safe route just building ontop your previous titles, with the seconds one you could try new stuff.

Well, perhaps Steelrising is their try on getting big enough. :)

Greedfall was never released boxed for the PC, but for PS4 and xbox it was ???
What have consoles that the PC platform doesn't have ?

There are people still purchasing boxed PC games?

Anyhow, Greedfall has been on my wishlist for a while but never got to the point of actually purchasing it. When people mention the game as "bioware-lite", I guess they mean more similar to Mass Effect rather than Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age?

Nope most reviewers and player reviews on the internet compare it to the Dragon Age games. Personally I'd compare it to the first Dragon Age game not Mas Effect.

Alrik it's simple PC players went all digital and console buyers haven't yet. Though you live in Europe and some publishers still sell boxed physical editions. It's just shrinking.

They tried something different with Greedfall and I enjoyed the beginning of the game. I could not finish the game and after around 25 hours, I lost interest. D&D monsters have spoiled me and I didn't care for the combat or the creatures. The maps and environment were well done.

I enjoyed the beginning a lot more as well, and I kind of had to force myself through the last 1/3 of the game.

I thought the creature design was actually pretty good. The combat did get quite repetitive after awhile though. I wasn't impressed by the maps at all. They're basically just large corridors that give the illusion of freedom.

Back
Top Bottom