Grim Dawn - Full Fan Made Diablo 2 called Reign of Terror

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
VG24/7 reports that a modder has recreated the entirety of Diablo 2, including its expansion, in Grim Dawn. You will need to have all the expansions for Grim Dawn to try it.

The remake is called Reign of Terror and is built in Crate Entertainment's Grim Dawn, a far more contemporary ARPG set in a similarly apocalyptic fantasy world. "Reign of Terror is a full remake (not a 1:1 copy) of the classic ARPG Diablo 2," notes the mod's designer, Ram, in its description. "[It} includes all content and classes present in the original Diablo 2, including its expansion, Lord of Destruction."

"In addition to this, as this is a Grim Dawn mod, it also features all Grim Dawn classes and items, and all of the core mechanics," the description continues. So, in a sense, this mod juxtaposes Diablo 2 DNA with the modernity of Grim Dawn, and is designed to culminate in a full-scale contemporary remake of Blizzard's classic ARPG.

[...]
More information.

Hmm sounds to good to be true,but I'll defenetaly check it out.

Hmm sounds to good to be true,but I'll definitely check it out.

It's been out for a while actually. It covers the whole Diablo II + Lords of Destruction campaign experience really close. I completed it with a Barbarian build and just started with a Necromancer a few weeks ago.

I recommend going with a Diablo class and picking up a Grim Dawn class as a second class or the other way around. Playing with two DII or GD classes at once makes the experience not so much fun.

Just got this working - unbelievably good mod. If you want D2 with better graphics this may be it. Even the music and sounds are there.

To me, what is the most amazing about this, is that Blizzard just let him do it. They don't feel intimidated when someone takes their game and places it inside a competitor's product. Doesn't even phase them.

To me, what is the most amazing about this, is that Blizzard just let him do it. They don't feel intimidated when someone takes their game and places it inside a competitor's product. Doesn't even phase them.

I wouldn't bet on this being the case indefinitely.

Anyways, I've got this in my backlog for a while. Looks promising indeed.

In case anyone else is interested in the mod: I'm trying it right now, although I am not too far into the game yet. The visuals and audio are well done, close to to the original D2. The classes are there (in addition to the vanilla Grim Dawn classes, not sure how well they mesh). The monsters are there. The items are, as well. Nice.

Yet, the action is not quite D2, but it is not quite Grim Dawn either. It's fun, but especially the balancing and difficulty may not be what you expect at first.

Most Grim Dawn veterans will probably tend to choose Normal+ (the, at first glance, "equivalent" to Veteran mode from Grim Dawn). It's much harder than that. Designed for players creating their second char I presume, rather than new players that are familar with the genre. Don't worry though, you can change difficulty any time. Just don't start with Normal+ if you are easily frustrated and tend towards rage-quiting. You may not notice the difference at first, but with Normal+ you get some pretty heavy difficulty spikes with certain champion monsters.

In general, this is not an attempt at a faithful recreation of D2, it is Grim Dawn and D2 roled into one (+ some additions), with D2 looks and sounds.

Last edited:
I actually completed the D2 campaign using this mod. It's utterly fantastic overall.

It's not a perfect representation of D2 - but it's closer than I had any right to expect.

As far as I'm concerned, it's only rivaled by the Lord of Terror campaign for NWN.

It's extremely well done.

As for the difficulty mentioned above, it's only hard in the beginning stages. There's something off about it - but it's hard to put a finger on it.

At some point relatively early on - it becomes pretty doable or even easy in the Veteran mode.

Yep, I agree. Normal+ was very easy at the end of the campaign.

The turning point might depend on the classes though. The Diablo classes seem to scale quite a bit faster at first, compared to the Grim Dawn classes.

After playing through the campaign, I'm only grumpy because they implemented that stupid "goblin" thingy, to get to the secret cow level, instead of wirt's leg. And OF COURSE, I can't kill the goblin in time, because 50% of my pets won't attack it.
The most frustrating thing about that: I experienced nearly the exact same bug in at least two other games (I think it was Van Helsing, and I'm pretty sure also in Torchlight 2). They never think about the poor minion builds when they implement stuff like that. ;)

Finished a run through with a Paladin/Oathkeeper, the Paladin skills definitely felt more powerful. So much fun - kept forgetting I was playing Grim Dawn its so much like D2 at times. Crafting with the Cube is easier and there is soooo much stash space - awesome!
I suspect the mod will be around indefinitely; D2 released about 20 years ago would Activision/Blizzard really want to spend resources to do anything about it? Also, a rumor is out today saying an Activision/Blizzard company is releasing Diablo 2: Resurrected by the end of this year. I hope its good.

I think people who created this mod deserve a workplace in the game team, and a big bonus!

I can't believe I missed this mod..was checking out the new Blizzard Diablo 2 Resurrected when someone mentioned this conversion for Grim Dawn...and by everyone's responses here it sounds amazing...

Back
Top Bottom