Grim Dawn

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Grim Dawn is an action role-playing game being created with the tools and technology used to build Titan Quest by a few veteran developers from Iron Lore, including Arthur Bruno, the lead gameplay designer on Titan Quest.

Grim Dawn won’t hold your hand to ensure you never make a bad decision and it won’t feature a story on rails with linear level design to prevent you from ever getting lost. It will, however, offer you the chance to do things in your own way, have an experience that is unique from everyone else playing the game and explore off the beaten path to see and do things that not every player is likely to find.

Unlike many other ARPGs, in Grim Dawn, you’re not the lone hero out on a quest to save the world by vanquishing one ultimate evil. The world of Cairn, in which Grim Dawn is set, has been devastated by a war between two otherworldly powers, with humankind caught in the middle. The dangers facing the survivors of humanity are too great and numerous to be solved by any one individual.

More information.

I have not followed this game, but was curious. I saw this on their web page description "Additional skill classes will be introduced through downloadable add-ons."
Does this mean you have to pay for non-core classes or are these just being released for all at a later stage?

Also, does the game allow saving at any point? I really dislike checkpoint systems

From the FAQ:
What is this talk of downloadable content?

When many people hear the term downloadable content they are filled with fear and rage. They imagine having to charge $0.50 to their credit cards everytime they buy a new item. This is not what we imagine. This is a downloadable game, so it makes sense that when we release expansion packs, they will also be downloadable. These expansions will be similar to a normal boxed game-expansion in that they will generally contain new story elements, classes, enemies, items, and new regions of the world to explore.

I have not followed this game, but was curious. I saw this on their web page description "Additional skill classes will be introduced through downloadable add-ons."
Does this mean you have to pay for non-core classes or are these just being released for all at a later stage?

While I don't know the answer to your specific question about downloadable classes, I believe that there is no reason to worry:

There are 6 core classes and you can combine two of them, giving 15 combined classes. I don't expect that you will miss additional classes, so it shouldn't be relevant for the decision to play the game now. If you know Titan Quest you will have a feeling for the variety.

Also, does the game allow saving at any point? I really dislike checkpoint systems

The system is the same as for most in this genre: There is no game over (except you are hardcore, maybe) and therefore no reload. If you leave the game, your character is saved with all current progress regarding quests, character development and inventory and if you start the game again, you start in one of the cities. Due to the fast travel system I didn't find it tedious to go back to the point you want to. Since you have to travel to cities from time to time for sailing and quests, it is easiest to end a gaming session in such situation anyway.

Thanks for the info all. Yes, I recall that the typical ARPG saving (or lack thereof) is something that has always irked me....having to fight though all the monsters I'd cleared out earlier just because I had to...you know...deal with life, go to bed etc. The fast travel system sounds as though it may make things better.

I take your point about the DLC classes, but it would be nice if the additional classes were free add-ons...their response, as quoted by HiddenX, doesn't rule out paying for any content - but implies that it wouldn't just be classes, but an actual expansion (?) It would be nice if they released any new classes for free anyway, as some game devs have done with DLC. That generates huge goodwill. I haven't played an ARPG for ages ...so may test the waters with this. I must say though, that I never finished Titan Quest - the setting was cool, but the game just never sucked me in. This story sounds a lot more interesting however.

Back
Top Bottom