Harebrained Schemes - Independent again

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that Harebrained Schemes and Paradox are parting ways:

Harebrained Schemes is independent again: Paradox parts ways with the studio less than a week after confirming major layoffs earlier this year

Paradox and Harebrained say the split was a mutual decision.

Less than a week after saying that sales of turn-based tactics game The Lamplighters League were "a big disappointment" and confirming major layoffs at developer Harebrained Schemes, Paradox Interactive has announced that it has "decided to part ways" with the studio. Paradox said the split was a mutual decision, "stemming from each party's strategic and creative priorities," and that HBS will officially be independent again on January 1, 2024.

"Paradox has refocused its strategy towards its core niches within strategy and management games with endless qualities," Paradox COO Charlotta Nilsson said. "We and HBS' leadership have been discussing what would happen after the release of The Lamplighters League, but a new project or sequel in the same genre was not in line with our portfolio plans. Hence, we believe that a separation would be the best way forward."

[...]
Thanks Pappy!

More information.

Yeah independent with no control over any past IP or game.

That includes any revenue as well as Paradox and Microsoft own everything. Most of the staff and Weissman have left the developer. They are a shell of their crowd-funding days.

So you see excuse me if I'm pessimistic about their future.

Last edited:
Getting away from Paradox can only be an improvement, though lack of control is alarming at the very least. It'll be interesting to see what happens down the road a piece.

Yeah independent with no control over any past IP or game.
Microsoft owns SR and Battletech licence, right?
Its probable that Microsoft will put Inxile to do 3D SR in the future.

EDIT: Och, Microsoft bought Blizzard recently, right? What if they get the idea to do MULTIPLAYER SR by Blizzard....

Microsoft owns SR and Battletech licence, right?
Its probable that Microsoft will put Inxile to do 3D SR in the future.

EDIT: Och, Microsoft bought Blizzard recently, right? What if they get the idea to do MULTIPLAYER SR by Blizzard....
Correct it's actually very hard to figure out who owns what with all the rights changing hands multiple times, but MS owns the game rights, and Weissman part of the full IP.

Paradox gets the revenue as well as they published and owned HBS.

This would be huge incentive for Hairbrained to either go back to the franchise that established them or do something entirely new.
If most ppl left the studio its unlikely that they will get SR licence again.

At best, Inxile will create new Shadowrun. With the idea to create AAA "Cyberpunk clone" but in SR world.

If most ppl left the studio its unlikely that they will get SR licence again.

At best, Inxile will create new Shadowrun. With the idea to create AAA "Cyberpunk clone" but in SR world.
You know I'd pay to play that but it would have to wait till after they release their Steampunk Time Travel ARPG. Question is would Inxile have the talent to do so?

This is all really unfortunate, this studio made a few games I've really enjoyed. Lamplighter's League wasn't the greatest, but it was still fun. It's really sad to think it's likely we won't be getting any more games from them.

Always a not unreasonable chance Weissman new company will merge with HBS now that HBS left paradox...

You know I'd pay to play that but it would have to wait till after they release their Steampunk Time Travel ARPG.
Of course, we will have to wait several years.

EDIT: Is it really time travel? Sounds pretty ambicious.

Question is would Inxile have the talent to do so?
They could hire writers that worked on Torment Numenera. They have big budget now. So no problem.

Of course, we will have to wait several years.

EDIT: Is it really time travel? Sounds pretty ambitious.
Yep Clockwork Revolution is a SteamPunk time traveling ARPG.

Your character travels through time to influence the game world.

It's unfortunate that the Lamplighters League didn't do well, but at least they were willing to take on genres that received less attention. But ultimately, perhaps that is the problem and they were doomed from the start? Good luck to them.

Some of the Lamplighter issues seem to be user interface based, perhaps Harebrained will get around to addressing these and reap some benefits. Again, serious reasons for why it's not always smart to fire up games on day one, pretty much as it's been for the past two decades. The eighties and nineties days of glory are long gone, now you need to budget six months to a year easily for most games to flush out the inherent bugs/miscues.

Given BattleTech (with the RogueTech mod) is my most played game ever (2000 h and counting), I would have loved to see a BT 2. Although, at the moment it seems very unlikely we will see something similar in the next 10-20 years. Well, at least there will be more MechWarrior in the near future. MW 5 is already pretty great with mods.

Last edited:
Given BattleTech (with the RogueTech mod) is my most played game ever (2000 h and counting), I would have loved to see a BT 2. Although, at the moment it seems very unlikely we will see something similar in the next 10-20 years. Well, at least there will be more MechWarrior in the near future. MW 5 is already pretty great with mods.
I think 20 is quite pessimistic!! Guess that means I won't be playing it :(

Wccftech thinks MS should buy HBS. What do you all think?
Like what other posters have pointed out HBS is now a shell of a company so I think it has much value anymore. I think you posted an article that 80% of it's staff had left including it's founder.

My guess would be is they make a few quick and dirty games to try and get an income stream since they lost all of that to PDX.

Sounds like wishful thinking, but it could be a decent way to salvage the studio, even if it will never be the same.

Back
Top Bottom