Hellgate London - Demo Released

You have a clear dislike for iso views, so not everyone makes the clear distinction you do on that basis alone. I haven't played but I can understand the reference - I can see a connection with Diablo in Two Worlds, for example - the PoV really doesn't change the underlying mechanics.

@ dteowner, I liked it but I guess you won't know until you try it. I don't know why anyone mentioned random levels, the levels are not random afaik, at least they don't appear to be from what I've played in the demo.

@ Druin, I'm not sure if you comment was for me, but your analysis is 100% wrong if so. As I've already said in other threads, many of my favorite games use iso views. Play the demo before you comment on the reference.

Except for the London setting and the perspective, this is as close to a Diablo clone as you can get.

I'm not sure how anyone with Diablo experience could miss that.

Several of the key developers are from Blizzard North, which was the company largely responsible for the first two Diablo games. They've stated numerous times in interviews that Hellgate is the "next step" in the genre, and they've spoken about features in DIRECT comparison with Diablo 2, because many of the features are, in fact, the exact same features.

It's a class based action RPG in which you battle various demons and monsters that originate from hell, which happens to be your final destination. You have town portal charms and you have identify charms. on the UI you have a red health bowl to your left, and on the right you have a blue mana bowl. It's loot driven, and you have loot of multiple magical rarities. You have basic town hubs, which serve as the place to repair, identify, buy, sell, upgrade, get quests and little else. The story is wafer-thin and serves only to drive you forward to get more loot and experience. The dungeons are randomized, as are the enemies you encounter. There are unique monsters that drop better magical loot. You gain 5 attribute points and 1 skill point upon gaining a level, but certain quests will reward you with similar special upgrades.

If you insist that this is not like Diablo, be my guest, but know that you are being totally and utterly delusional.

@ Druin, I'm not sure if you comment was for me, but your analysis is 100% wrong if so. As I've already said in other threads, many of my favorite games use iso views. Play the demo before you comment on the reference.

I'm not trying to be difficult and if I've mischaracterised you, I apologise. I have, however, noted several comments you've made about games lacking an over-the-shoulder view or being held back by point-and-click (I'm paraphrasing from memory) and I was left with the clear impression you feel iso/point-and-click is either outdated or inferior to 3rd-person/WASD control.

Either way, my point is that from here in that you say HGL and Diablo are nothing alike based on the control/view -- and I'm just saying, some of us don't pay much attention to the view. Take that away, and is the underlying system similar to Diablo?

Except for the London setting and the perspective, this is as close to a Diablo clone as you can get.

I'm not sure how anyone with Diablo experience could miss that.

I could probably name at least 10 games that are closer to a Diablo clone than Hellgate. It doesn't even use a similar control scheme among other things.

I'm not sure how anyone with Diablo experience could miss that. ;)

Several of the key developers are from Blizzard North, which was the company largely responsible for the first two Diablo games. They've stated numerous times in interviews that Hellgate is the "next step" in the genre, and they've spoken about features in DIRECT comparison with Diablo 2, because many of the features are, in fact, the exact same features..

Thank You.
Them stating that Hellgate is the "next step" in the genre, is exactly why it's not a "clone".

It's a class based action RPG in which you battle various demons and monsters that originate from hell, which happens to be your final destination. You have town portal charms and you have identify charms. on the UI you have a red health bowl to your left, and on the right you have a blue mana bowl. It's loot driven, and you have loot of multiple magical rarities. You have basic town hubs, which serve as the place to repair, identify, buy, sell, upgrade, get quests and little else. The story is wafer-thin and serves only to drive you forward to get more loot and experience. The dungeons are randomized, as are the enemies you encounter. There are unique monsters that drop better magical loot. You gain 5 attribute points and 1 skill point upon gaining a level, but certain quests will reward you with similar special upgrades.

What do those features have to do with it being a clone? You could implement those exact same features into any game you wanted, would that then make it a Diablo clone?

If you insist that this is not like Diablo, be my guest, but know that you are being totally and utterly delusional.

Well I guess if all else fails just resort to simple insults. :lol:

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be difficult and if I've mischaracterised you, I apologise. I have, however, noted several comments you've made about games lacking an over-the-shoulder view or being held back by point-and-click (I'm paraphrasing from memory) and I was left with the clear impression you feel iso/point-and-click is either outdated or inferior to 3rd-person/WASD control.

Either way, my point is that from here in that you say HGL and Diablo are nothing alike based on the control/view -- and I'm just saying, some of us don't pay much attention to the view. Take that away, and is the underlying system similar to Diablo?

No need to apologize Druin. It's just a matter of personal preference, I prefer more control over my character in an action-oriented rpg.

I shouldn't have said that Hellgate was "nothing" like Diablo, because all games in that genre are going to share similarities and features, especially when they're created by the same development team. I just wouldn't call Hellgate a "Diablo clone" because I believe it's much more than that, and I really don't think it was the intention of Flagship Studios to create just another clone.

edit: Dead Horse.

Hellgate London is Diablo 2 with extensive plastic surgery.

If that is not a clear description of the gameplay, I do not know what else to say.
It is not revolutionary, it is evolutionary.

The only difference in gameplay from Diablo 2 are the base MMO elements. And base they are.

Kill 10 zombies and report back to me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, JDR.

Perhaps I need to clarify a little: I don't own Diablo2. I never played Diablo2. I don't remember any reviews of Diablo2 beyond their being glowing. Can I get an opinion or two that doesn't use the word "Diablo" at any point? Tell me about HG:L, folks!

Sometime when the servers are up at the same time I am, I'll be playing the beta--hopefully this weekend. I'll undoubtedly be running my mouth about it. :)

I'm honestly not trying to make a big deal out of this, but have you really played it? Because it doesn't sound like you have.

Why are you attacking me? Because I have an opinion different than yours? And why are you so adamant about this game being different than Diablo 2?

In Hellgate there are different colored items that represent their rarity. You can augment these items.

The Summoner has the exact same skills as the Necromancer, Ranged and melee minions, life tap, terror and even Revives that last for a short duration before returning to the underworld.

Bill says the word Diablo 11 times in this interview.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=83007

Here is a direct quote from Bill from another interview:

Diablo II players especially are going to keep waiting for that next big thing they can latch on to, and hopefully that'll be Hellgate. Because we definitely love that style of game, and that's who we made it for - for us and for them.

You have a red bulb on the bottom left for health and a blue bulb on the bottom right for power in Hellgate, too.

Also, be warned that there is no save function in this demo, which I think is pretty lame considering the size of the download.

There is a save function. It is the exact same save function as Diablo. When you exit, your character information is saved. There is no need for a "save" button because the maps and levels are randomized exactly like another game which name escapes me at the moment.

Last edited:
OK. Have played for a bit. This is Diablo 2 in 3d set in a post-apocalyptic world. Being an old D2 vet, I say this with confidence. Sorry, JDR, but you either never played D2 (to take a page from your book) or are just being obstinate. This is the exact same game. Not that that's a bad thing. But it's true. For instance, let's contrast changes (hesitate to call all of these "innovations", so we'll stick with "changes")

From D1 to D2:
Class-based skill-tree system
Breakable items with loot in them
Item upgrade system (sockets, rune words, etc)
Waypoint system without a typical "save anywhere" option
Open, outdoor areas
Acts, each with their own, very distinct theme
Hire-able mercs complete with their own equipment management
Horadric cube with recipes
etc.

From D2 to HG:
3d complete with WASD movement
post-apoc setting

Get the picture? I hope so...

P.S. Love, love, love the grapple gun! Fun idea.

Why are you attacking me? Because I have an opinion different than yours? And why are you so adamant about this game being different than Diablo 2?.

Calm down Reyla, nobody is "attacking" you, don't be ridiculous. You have your opinion and I have mine, I have no problem with that.

What I disagree with is you saying - "The only difference in gameplay from Diablo 2 are the base MMO elements" which is blatantly false. Even if the game was indeed a clone, which I do not believe it is, there are a great many differences between them.

There is a save function. It is the exact same save function as Diablo. When you exit, your character information is saved. There is no need for a "save" button because the maps and levels are randomized exactly like another game which name escapes me at the moment.

I'm glad to hear that, I didn't know because I have yet to boot the demo up a second time, and there was no indication given upon exiting the game that it was saving anything.

chamr, I could go point to point with you over a dozen different reason why it's not "the exact same game", but It's not necessary.

I actually like Hellgate while I hated Diablo 2, so it obviously couldn't be "the exact same game", now could it?

Get the picture?

I actually like Hellgate while I hated Diablo 2, so it obviously couldn't be "the exact same game", now could it?
Um... sure it could. I don't pretend to understand "the mind of JDR13".
;-p Whatever floats your boat, my man...

Um... sure it could. I don't pretend to understand "the mind of JDR13".
;-p Whatever floats your boat, my man...

Snide and ignorant remarks aside, why don't you explain why it's not titled Diablo 2 then? Since it's apparently the exact same game.

I guess we agree to disagree, I just don't understand why someone would act like it's inconceivable that I could enjoy Hellgate if I didn't like Diablo.

Snide and ignorant remarks aside, why don't you explain why it's not titled Diablo 2 then? Since it's apparently the exact same game.

Obviously, no one said or even remotely claimed that the two games are literally IDENTICAL. There is such a thing as a figure of speech, and the game has a different name and a different setting, so only a blind moron would claim that. This is about resembling each other A LOT, to the point where it's not unreasonable to think of them as basically the same game at first sight. If you didn't like Diablo 2, only you can know why. But it would not be unprecedented for someone to dislike something, and then later changing his mind. I did this myself with Diablo (the first one), and I did the same thing with MYST (which I initially hated with a passion). Maybe you like Hellgate without realising that Diablo 2 was very similar, but something about it wasn't to your tastes at the moment of first beholding the game.

You're now changing things around as if we're trying to say you couldn't enjoy Hellgate if you didn't enjoy Diablo.

You're the one claiming in different threads that the games are not alike at all, and being obviously confused as to why people think so.

Let me repost what I said to Druin earlier on this same page.

I shouldn't have said that Hellgate was "nothing" like Diablo, because all games in that genre are going to share similarities and features, especially when they're created by the same development team. I just wouldn't call Hellgate a "Diablo clone" because I believe it's much more than that, and I really don't think it was the intention of Flagship Studios to create just another clone.

Maybe you should read all my post before commenting on what I said or didn't say.

This is about resembling each other A LOT, to the point where it's not unreasonable to think of them as basically the same game at first sight

Are you talking about just the way the games look? If so, then that's the most ridiculous comment I've heard all day. You're going to tell me that a 3D 3rd person game set in a ruined futuristic London looks so similar to a 7 year old 2D isometric game set in a medieval fantasy world, that most people might think they're "basically" the same game at first sight???

You're now changing things around as if we're trying to say you couldn't enjoy Hellgate if you didn't enjoy Diablo.

Wrong.

I simply mentioned that I enjoyed Hellgate while I hated Diablo 2, and then he responded by insisting that they were the "exact same" game. How do you expect me to interpret that?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom