HellSign - Launch Announcement

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
HellSign will be released in Q2 2021:

As many of you have been asking for years, we're pleased to finally announce the release of HellSign!

Thank you!
It's been 5 years since the conception of HellSign, a labor of love, with countless sleepless nights and the help of an amazing community, it has transformed into the game you see today!
Honestly, HellSign wouldn't be half the game it is without the community, so first and foremost just wanted to give a huge shout out and massive thanks to every one of you who have supported the game!

Why now?
There's always the dreaded time when a game development has run its course. Like every aspiring indie developer, we wish we could have kept working on it and adding content & new chapters endlessly, but as such this is also our day job, and we need to pay the bills ;)
To be transparent the game hasn't been profitable for quite a while now, which signals the time to wrap things up. We are very glad to have even been able to get this far past launch and add so much stuff thanks to your support, and only humbly hope you had a fun ride too in the Early Access!

Launch Specifics
HellSign is due to launch Q2 2021, as mentioned above there won't be any new post-endgame content added (eg: additional chapters) from this point on, nor any major reverts, as we have our hands full preparing for launch and tying up loose ends (e.g. bugs, QoL, a couple of goodies etc).

It's been a wild ride, hope you enjoy your holidays and stoked to move to full release next year!

-Ballistic
More information.

This has been on my wishlist for a while, but development pace was a bit slow so I was waiting on signs of a proper release. I notice a lot of complaints on Steam about the lack of content of the end product, like the devs just gave up. I hope that's not the case.

This doesn't sound too promising:

Why now?
There's always the dreaded time when a game development has run its course. Like every aspiring indie developer, we wish we could have kept working on it and adding content & new chapters endlessly, but as such this is also our day job, and we need to pay the bills
To be transparent the game hasn't been profitable for quite a while now, which signals the time to wrap things up. We are very glad to have even been able to get this far past launch

Then several of the reviews note that it's still clearly an unfinished early access game, but that they're just putting a bow on it and releasing it as 1.0.

This has been on my wishlist for a while, but development pace was a bit slow so I was waiting on signs of a proper release. I notice a lot of complaints on Steam about the lack of content of the end product, like the devs just gave up. I hope that's not the case.

It just had an update on December 7, so it would appear they're still working on it. *Edit* Or perhpas not.

The reviews are definitely mixed though. Some of the negative ones just sound like sour grapes to me, but who knows? Not going to purchase it yet, but I added to my wishlist.

To those wondering about this game and its current state, I can say this about it (I've put about 20 hours into it): it's not done. There's some content there and it can be fun to play around with, but it's simply not finished. There's only 1 chapter of story content, and it leaves off on kind of a cliffhanger that leaves you with a unanswered questions. There are only 2 maps in the game, a house that gets randomized each time and a forest map that also gets randomized but is hardly noticeable. There are only about 10 different trash-mob type monsters and only 3 poltergeists (the game's version of bosses). And that's it. This is pretty much the state the game has been in for the last few years. All they've done in that time is add a couple new low-level monsters, a bunch of guns, some more tools, and dumbed down the investigation system. As stated in the announcement, they seem to have no intention of adding any more content. What's there is solid, which is why so many people are upset with this announcement, because the game has potential that is being wasted.

Thanks for the heads-up Rhawkas, this project sounds interesting to me so I'll keep an eye on it for now, and hope it gets better down the line. I tend to avoid picking up new games anyway now these days, let the testing get done with then I'll show up with my money.

Disappointing to hear there's so little content. I still have it wishlisted, but I'll definitely wait for a sale.

Man that's sad as it looked like a good game. Sounds like it had a very troubled development and was rushed to get released given the poor state the game is in.

Or to put it another way funds ran out here go.

Back
Top Bottom