Horizon Dawn Cinematic trailer

Horizon Zero Dawn is Witcher 3 sets in a dystopian future with Ciri as the main protagonist! And yes its almost good as Witcher 3 so far. Fun fact, the voice actor for Geralt is also in the game!

So in summary, This is a good game and I would say worth getting PS4 for it!

You've sold me on it. I loved TW3, and had been looking for a new game to play.

I have been playing lot of Horizon Zero Dawn recently (40+ hours now) and amazed at every turn how beautiful the game looks. Lot of its down to amazing art direction but it scores very well on the technical sides too. For example its huge open world with no loading screens, brilliant lighting and weather effects. Also my personal favourite, draw distance. You can see so far into the distance. Not just trees and stuff but even monsters and people moving about! You can also see far away village, cities and building etc.

I read that Guerilla’s Decima engine is custom made for PS4 and I think if HZD is anything to go by, we will be getting graphics on PS4 which can easily rival the PC.

Funny thing is I paid £42 for the game and trade in price now is £32 (£36 voucher). I think I will be finished within a week with majority of the stuff done and if trade in, I would have only paid £10 for the game!

I was looking at getting this or nioh. I opted for nioh and am really enjoying it and recommend it to ARPG fans.

The thing that tipped more towards nioh was that it seemed more melee focused. To that end how does the bow handle? more specifically how much do you need to use the bow and how well does it work with controller?

I was looking at getting this or nioh. I opted for nioh and am really enjoying it and recommend it to ARPG fans.

The thing that tipped more towards nioh was that it seemed more melee focused. To that end how does the bow handle? more specifically how much do you need to use the bow and how well does it work with controller?

Its primarily ranged combat and you need to use the bow. I was scared of this since I suck using the controller even for melee but it works amazing well even for noob like me! This is because how the combat system work or how i make use of it. Let me explains (normal difficulty)

- Most mobs can easily kill you if you are not careful, dark souls style. You don't have much HP.
- You get a skill which slow time for short time and this helps a lot with aiming.
- Precision matters. If you aim at the right spot(s) with the right arrow, you can do lot of damage. For example, if you head shot a human, its install kill. Dino's have other weak spots, some easy to target, others hard but you can't instant kill those.
- You get environmental stealth meaning, you can hide behind tall grass etc. you can scout the areas and you won't be surprised that often if you do that.
- There are bows which can be used to lay traps and even used to tie up monsters! Trap and rope casters, they are called. There is also bomb throwers as well.
- You can also dodge and/or aim with time slow with a skill.

So the point is, by the time I am one one with a group of mobs (they comes mostly in packs) I have wiped out more than 50% of their HP! For the reminder, its dodge and shoot or use the environment to hide etc. One of my favourite thing to do with certain mobs is to use their weapons against them! One annoying mob has laser gun mounted on its head. If you get an arrow in the right place, you can knock of off the gun and use it against them for short while! It basically give you Rambo mode!

There is lot more to the combat than above but that should give you an idea. :)

Thanks for your thoughts Lostforever, if a fellow controller challenged gamer can manage it then maybe I'll check it out.

I'm rather good with controller in melee but still pretty deficient when it comes to ranged.

I have been watching the game on Chris Odd's YouTube channel.

It truly looks like a fun game and if not for having to buy a PS4 I would certainly get the game.

Looks like a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My network is poor (not true but…), my PC hardware is better than PS4 will have, so they can rot.

Sorry. I didn't subscribe on PC services like Origin access or Humble monthly. There is no way I'd ever subscribe on some Sony service and give them $ just so they can screw me more with their exclusives. I refuse sawing a branch I'm sitting on.

"Horizon zero dawn screenshots and the real world locations they are based on! "

https://imgur.com/a/J0W5J

Sometimes its hard to guess which is real and which is from the game!

Finished the game! It took me about 65 hours over 2 weeks. In game, it says I have done 90% of the content.

The game isn’t perfect but it does lots of things right and it doesn’t overstays its welcome. It doesn’t add anything fundamentally new to RPGs genre but it takes lots of features from all over and put them in nice and polished package with all parts working well together. Everything felt just right.

Anyway, here are some random thoughts…

It has one of the best looking open world. It looks so pretty! I think it looks better than Witcher 3! Some of the vistas are breathtaking. You can wonder around and look at the scenery and not notice the time!

It’s also one of the best designed open world as well. It sort of remind me of Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 games in that regard. It feels organic and functional at the same time.

The combat was excellent even though you are limited to ranged combat only. There is lots of variety in the type of ranged combat options and how to defeat monsters. Taking on some monsters is all about planning, timing, precision and making best use of the surroundings. You can actually die if one of these things didn’t go to plan and I died a lot even in normal difficulty! Basically the sheer variety of ways in which you can kill something makes the combat amazing and I haven’t experienced this in many games.

Although its open world, the story is very linear and again nothing ground breaking but its nicely told story which keeps you interested and wants to find out what’s going on. They resolves all the mysteries by end and finish the story! Nothing is left hanging for part two but they nicely setup a new mystery for part 2 at the end! The side quest are very well done too. Each of them have unique and mini stories. Also Aloy, the main character is very innocent and good hearted and I find that refreshing since we seems to only get “edgy” and “broken” people in recently games.

The game is sort of survival lite. In that they care a feeling of living off the land, you have to gather plants, herbs, kill wild life for making potions and loot stuff from the monsters to keep everything going. The economy is nicely balanced too, for example you will run out of certain materials and money if you are not careful even towards the of the game.

I wish they did more with loot. Gear and weapons have upgrades but not enough. I wish there was more of upgrades so that you look forward to getting better gear. Also gear is situational and I found that bit annoying since I had to swap out armour depending on who I was fighting etc.

Anyway its definitely in my top 10 best games ever list! If you liked Witcher 3, then you will like this too. I still rate this just tiny bit below Witcher 3!

It’s also one of the best designed open world as well. It sort of remind me of Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 games in that regard. It feels organic and functional at the same time.

What did you mean by this?

What did you mean by this?

You have to use the environment to take cover etc when fighting monsters but when you are hiding you don't think they put this rock here or grass there to that you can hide! They are part of the world and they seems to if where they are. This is the "organic" part.

When i was playing Mass effect games and taking cover from enemies, I was always thinking they put this crate here so that I can take cover! Also you go to an area and you don't see any enemies but you see lot crates all over the place and I am always thinking an ambush is coming soon and it did! The point is, in Mass effect, these crates stood out like sore thumb and out of place.

Gothic games were very good for having nooks and crannies in their world. Also the map can loop back as well. HZD also has similar features.

Oddly, PCG and similar trash magazines forged "immersive sim" term that says nothing about a product in fact confuses a reader.
If they ever used "nook and cranny sim" it'd pretty obvious what's it about. ;)

Just imagine how many more copies it'd sell if was available also on PC.

None, everybody knows pc gamers only pirate games.;)

It does make me wonder though, how many more copies would they actually sell? I mean how many pc only gamers are there really? I always buy pc if its available for pc but if it's not I'll just get it for console. So releasing it on pc wouldn't get them another sale from me. I wonder how many are in the same boat. Especially in the under 30 crowd?

On an encouraging note my 14 year old sold his Xbox one, PS4 and dsxl and bought steam cards with all the money. He said he didn't want them because games are just better on PC. Odd to here from a 14 yo but I suppose if you're exposed to both it doesn't matter what age you are to know which is better.

I'm not gonna buy a PS4 for it but I'm trying to get my friend to get it so I can borrow his and play it after he is done. :p

It looks very nice and reviews are good so far.

I still need to borrow his PS3 and play The Last of Us.

I'm not gonna buy a PS4 for it but I'm trying to get my friend to get it so I can borrow his and play it after he is done. :p

It looks very nice and reviews are good so far.

I still need to borrow his PS3 and play The Last of Us.

Just keep his PS4 and play the last of us remastered on that. Then go through bloodborne for good measure.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom