I broke P&R forums

Abut renaming pibbur, this is what I've done a couple of times

1. Inactivated myself by entering an invalid mailadress in my user profile. Then the account becomes unavailable, and is marked by "guest" in all posts. Just look at the first post by "pibbur" in the Things you don't need to know thread. You can't do anything with him, like sending a PM. He's gone, but his messages remain.

2. Then, when I regretted my actions as I always do, I had two choices. Either asking Myrthos to revive me, which has happened once or twice, thanks to Myrthos. Or, more often, creating a new account, with a new pibbur-like account name, as the old names were taken. Thus we also have "pibbur 42", "pibbur 0x2a" and a couple of other incarnations I don't remember.

Why do I do things like that? It was never because I was unhappy with the watch, but because I was unhappy. Self destructive. And a bit stupid.

pibbur who who has been pibbur who for who knows how long. But much longer than any other pibbur.
The way you describe it, it is actually a technically different way of getting yourself removed. If notified in time I can restore you from an earlier backup of the database (we have daily backups, up to a week, or from a local backup I manually make that is recent enough). That is not too difficult to accomplish as it only a single entry in a table that needs to be fixed.
In the regular way it is done (via the admins interface), there is no coming back anymore. It is final as I can't restore you from the database. Theoretically I could, but I'm not going to be bothered with the complexity of that.

It doesn't really matter, does it? If I decide to self-immolate in a fit of pique, and then I come back two weeks later as Ripper 2.0, not much is lost, I would have thought.

It doesn't really matter, does it? If I decide to self-immolate in a fit of pique, and then I come back two weeks later as Ripper 2.0, not much is lost, I would have thought.

(+1 for yet another brilliant one-liner)

That's what I was trying to say, but apparently didn't word as well.

Is it OK that I don't comment on this?

pibbur who remains silent

No promises, my friend.

No promises.

I'm reminded of the following quote from The Fifth Elephant, a Discworld novel by Terry Pratcett:

"Some people said that gnomes were no more belligerent than any other race, and this was true. However, the belligerence was compressed down into a body six inches high and, like many things when they are compressed, had an inclination to explode."

Pibbur who (desperately) likes gnomes.

I'm reminded of the following quote from The Fifth Elephant, a Discworld novel by Terry Pratcett:

"Some people said that gnomes were no more belligerent than any other race, and this was true. However, the belligerence was compressed down into a body six inches high and, like many things when they are compressed, had an inclination to explode."

Pibbur who (desperately) likes gnomes.

There is both truth and wisdom contained here, my friend.

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Back
Top Bottom