IGN - Best of 2010 Awards

Most innovative is Alpha Protocol, Amnesia is crap, Fallout: New Vegas = GOTY.
Can´t say I´m infuriated with ME2 taking the trophies though, the game entertained me well for quite a while.
IGN sucks, that´s for sure.

How do we measure innovation ?

Well, then we agree. It's not like it took large steps towards anything, but I think it did handle first person immersion and interaction in a pretty interesting way. Sort of like the next step up from Dark Corners of the Earth.

As for the game itself, hmmm - meh ;)

As for the game itself, hmmm - meh ;)

Exactly. It wasn't that it was a bad game or anything, it's just that I couldn't help being disappointed after some of the hype I had read about it. I've seen multiple instances of a reviewer or gamer claiming Amnesia to be "the scariest game ever".

I found it entertaining enough for one playthrough, but I can honestly say I never found it to be "scary" or disturbing in the least. This despite playing it in complete darkness, and with headphones, as I do all my games. Although to be fair, I can't say I've ever really been scared by a video game.

AvP and System Shock 2 certainly had an impact on me, but I love horror elements when they're done well. I wouldn't say I was scared - as in not wanting to play further, but there is the dread anticipation of something very nasty happening soon - and a few well-placed jumps ;)

Dead Space was a bit too jumpy and samey for me to get that across well, but it wasn't without effect. I get a bit numb when shooting is all I do. I find that long stretches of silent exploration and reading logs affects me much more. Dead Space just didn't have enough tricks and too much action. It didn't help that the gameplay peaked at around level 4 - and the rest felt like endless repetition to me.

I only played the demo of Amnesia - and it seemed to tingle the same kind of senses as AvP/SS2, but I've grown pretty resistant to such things.

Crap was kinda pushing it, but I was disappointed with Amnesia, that´s for sure.
The game had only a few tricks up its sleeve and these got old fast. Sense of urgency and anxiety was largely missing due to various design decisions. Dealing with the "scary" stuff mostly consisted of running into the corner and waiting 30 seconds. Especially bad decision was the save/load system which was supposed to be "immersive", but ended up being exactly the opposite and successfully eliminated any sense of danger whatsoever.
On top of that, the story was too sketchy to leave a bit more lasting impression.
Majority of game was very linear. That could be to some extent elevated by inclusion of more elaborate puzzles, but unfortunately most of the puzzles were of primitive variety.
I think the game picked up in its last fourth or so, where it became more open ended and there was an optional objective, even.
Some of the manipulation with the gameworld was pretty cool (opening doors, etc).
Overall, an unremarkable game imo.
For a good horror adventure game, I´d recommend Shadow of the Comet (no scary jumps, but the game has other qualities).
And yeah, System Shock 2 ftw - now that´s a game which is really good at evoking sense of urgency and anxiety.

For a good horror adventure game, I´d recommend Shadow of the Comet (no scary jumps, but the game has other qualities).

You mean the old DOS adventure game based on Lovecraft? Funny that you would mention SotC, I just recently discovered it, as well as Prisoner of Ice.

Back
Top Bottom