Is Mass Effect Legendary worth playing?

notdart

Sentinel
I played about the first 30 minutes of mass effect (1) from the legendary set; and like many games it will take a bit to get into. My question is having played the original a few times is the new one worth changing; or is it the same game with better graphics ? If they changed nothing with the game itself beyond the graphics (and the graphics are decent); is this also the case with mass effect 2 and mass effect 3 ?

(btw origin seems broken and i'm forced to play off line. When it trys to update orgin it gets some sort of error and wont' update - googling indicates this is the norm but there is no real solution to the problem that i could find). Something about they changed or depreicated origin or something but not sure of the details; i didn't waste more than 5 or so minutes on it - their problem not mine).

Not going to comment on the game as I did not play it, but Origin was replaced by EA App (that's why Origin is not updating). The EA App was a mess when I last tried it (it does not even allow you to download your own games!). The EA support forums are full of complaints about this new App but unfortunately its the only thing available - maybe its better now.

Last I checked, the EA App was able to run Mass Effect Legendary, but it screwed up the achievements making it so the game thought you already had all of them, making it impossible to really get any of them. With the help of a Steam guide, I was able to convince Origin to run MA2 so I was able to get achievements after the first few hours. EA was told about this issue many months before requiring the EA App to play Legendary but they did nothing about it. I'm still PO'ed at EA about that.

The game itself was changed a little, but nothing serious. There were some lingering bug fixes, all the DLC was folded into the game better than just tacking the bits on, they don't have the camera linger on Miranda's butt quite so much, some of the areas where fights happen were improved... but probably not anything you'll really recognize as changed. I soldiered through MA1 so I could see the DLC in the later games but wasn't very impressed with the DLC when I played MA2. Between that and the EA App mess, I may never play MA3 Legendary.

I could play the first two again, yet that third game just offended me in ways that I cannot even describe. Another one of those franchises that just ended for me at a particular point, yet those first two games aren't bad.

You might as well play the Legendary Edition if you were going to replay it anyways. At the very least, it looks a little better, and I read the the controls were improved slightly for ME1.

The game itself was changed a little, but nothing serious. There were some lingering bug fixes
Oh, I misread it as lingerie bug fixes. That would of course have persuaded me for another playthrough. ;)

There are some changes, but it's only worth replaying if you were going to do so anyway. The changes themselves aren't big enough to warrant it.

Haven't played Legendary but I found the EA app to be fine when I played the Dead Space new version a few months ago.

IMHO the only reason to play Legendary if you have NEVER played the original game.
Legendary contains all DLCs, and clears up the original trilogy's somewhat controversial ending (which, IMHO, was fine as it was), so it is a more streamlined experience for the new player.
The Shiny Big New Additions (EA launcher and JJ Abrams-style light effects, etc) are pretty much a "take it or leave it"-territory, won't change the basic gameplay that much.

I played ME1 in the Legendary edition and started ME2 only to realise that I looked at these games through rose-tinted glasses. ME1 was quite janky and has not aged well even though the game itself run great. Bioware writing might have impressed me that time as I remember ME1-2 as some of my favorite games I had played, but these days the writing feels corny. There are so many better games now that going back to these felt painful. As others say, the Legendary edition is just ME trilogy repackaged for current hardware. If one wanted to replay them, and had both, I would pick the Legendary edition, but it is not a reason to play by itself.

Ok thanks. I guess i might put another hour into it but probably better games these days to play. It was a freebie off of amazon prime a year ago so no big deal. As for EA; i think this crap with the client is the last straw; if they can't even get the client right why would i buy their games. Really these big companies are horrible. I remember when ubi disable all games for all players world wide for a week while they upgraded the server. Now that is service.

(...) they don't have the camera linger on Miranda's butt quite so much (...)
Oh boy, how sad... :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

And what do they want with that? That we pay attention to the story being told? :p :p :p

The error is play only the first and give up, nothing related to MEL edition.

ME1 has a cult fame but its gameplay include many weak gameplay just trashed or improved later.

Don't stay blocked on ME1, at least try ME2 and then ME3. I remind ME3 had a simulator to mimic choices in ME1&2, I don't remind if ME2 had one too, but be stuck on ME1 proves nothing, try ME2 even without playing ME1.

Back
Top Bottom