Kingdom Come - Brian Blessed as Konrad Kyeser

It's lame but that game failed appeal me because of historical realistic approach. With the hyping rising I admit it changed a bit, plus eventually because it looks more like an A Project than what you could guess.

It's not about magic, it's about imaginary world. I know already that real world is a boredom, it's not a game that will proves the contrary. At least imaginary world has a chance to not be a boredom, I can't know in advance.

This could be science fiction too, but I read too many science fiction to not be a bit more demanding on the pure SF quality, hence generally SF aspects works less well for me in RPG.

I noticed it's quite the reverse in strategy games, wargames need all be historical or they are very hard to sell to fans bases. I'm thankfull RPG took another path. :)

Real world is not "boredom". Jesus F. Christ what a dumb statement. There are hundreds/thousands historical books, movies, TV shows that are great, engaging, enjoyable and FUN. Because history can be fun. Hell, the best fictional fantasy settings are also in large part based on real human history.

Blessed is an incredible talent and a fascinating man. He has a wicked sense of humor and is hilariously funny. Check him out on YouTube for some hysterical clips. He's also an accomplished explorer and mountain climber.

Real world is not "boredom". Jesus F. Christ what a dumb statement. There are hundreds/thousands historical books, movies, TV shows that are great, engaging, enjoyable and FUN. Because history can be fun. Hell, the best fictional fantasy settings are also in large part based on real human history.

Of course history CAN be fun. But I agree with Dasale, I prefer fictional settings, because I did them MORE fun. Sci-fi, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Space fantasy, Post-Apoc...and Fantasy. Although I prefer all the other ones to Fantasy I still prefer Fantasy to Historical or realistic settings. That doesn't mean games in that setting can't be enjoyable, but although I've played most Total War games for example I think Total War:Warhammer has the most fun setting by far (it's not my favourite of the games though, but that was more because certain mechanics felt really strange).

Of course history CAN be fun. But I agree with Dasale, I prefer fictional settings, because I did them MORE fun. Sci-fi, Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Space fantasy, Post-Apoc…and Fantasy. Although I prefer all the other ones to Fantasy I still prefer Fantasy to Historical or realistic settings. That doesn't mean games in that setting can't be enjoyable, but although I've played most Total War games for example I think Total War:Warhammer has the most fun setting by far (it's not my favourite of the games though, but that was more because certain mechanics felt really strange).

"Realistic fantasies" often do better job of developing narrative themes and use context of their setting to offer different perspectives on it ( Witcher's best stories are more down to earth and very "simple").
I don't see a problem here, and European developers usually do very well in this ( medieval) setting.
And Fantasy games often use magic as an easy fix for complex problems, which can cripple their setting/development...( latest Mass Effect: a perfect example: Remnant vaults and Meridian).

Fantastic man!
It is wonderful when older people can overcome their natural grumpiness and negativity against everything new/newer generation and instead wants to be part of it!

Yeah, this guy is anti-Sapkowski. ( or codexian) :p

Last edited:
I can agree with that Bobo, but that's not about the setting per se, it's about the writing. And I'll take good writing over bad writing any day, that's hardly a thing we can debate even if we wanted to. And a good game will be a good game no matter what setting is used, but I will always prefer an "unrealistic" setting in my games, just as I do in literature and movies. I'm pretty sure there are alot of people who feel the opposite...

Last edited:
Nice Ripper, Exeter is one of my favorite Blessed reference points, too. Though the others mentioned here are pretty great.

As for fantasy vs historical realism, for me its about getting into a setting other than the one I actually occupy. I prefer fantasy and history to future/sci-fi in games, but having magic or not is never going to be a deal breaker in my book.

Back
Top Bottom